Software
Houzz Logo Print
gina_morrison70

Headboard for Beachy Bedroom Question

10 years ago

Slowly redoing my bedroom with a more beachy/coastal vibe (largely because I live nowhere near the water). I'm considering purchasing a seagrass headboard in a darker color. Everything else in the room is very light, and I feel like the darker headboard might provide more contrast. Am I on the right track? Below are my current photos. (Ignore blank space above bed...trying to find art I like!) Thanks for the help!

Comments (21)

  • 10 years ago

    Seagrass would be pretty. Are those pine headboard and dressers? I think of beachy as blues, sand, greys, navy. Pine is a wood that would compliment that theme as is rattan and wicker. Not sure what your paint color is, consider painting a crisp white so that your blue has more impact.

    Gina Morrison thanked User
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    You are spot on with the seagrass choice. Adding texture will definitely make it pop against the wall as well. Just make sure that the tone is close to your nightstand and that it is a bit taller and wider than what you have pictured especially if you plan to keep the pillows propped up like so.

    Gina Morrison thanked paul martin
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for the advice! Yes, they are pine night stands - haven't decided if they are staying or going. The wall is in the beige family. We will ultimately put in board and batten wainscoting which will be painted white. Baby steps. Appreciate the help!

  • 10 years ago

    Board and batten will make a huge impact. I love the pine, it's warmth and soft look and feel it fits well with your theme. Headboard as well. imo

  • 10 years ago

    I do not have an eye for these things, which is why I am here. Houzz is a wonderful resource though and when I realized today that I could ask for help - that was huge. Thank you for the feedback.

  • 10 years ago

    Keeping us updated makes it fun!

  • 10 years ago

    This is the headboard we are considering...it's from Pier 1. Is the color okay or do you think we should go darker?

  • 10 years ago

    This looks great to me. How tall is it? How far up the wall behind the bed will it go?

  • 10 years ago

    It looks like the color "sand" which is all in the beach theme. Lighter is better. I think layers of white plus the colors of sand, sky, water.

  • 10 years ago
    The seagrass headboard is 50 inches tall, about the same height as the tallest point of my current headboard. Still going to need to find that perfect piece of art to place above it!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Consider three objects centered above headboard. Beach related

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    It's a pretty headboard but I'd consider going darker. I don't think the lighter color will stand up well next to your wall color. If you're going to add board and batten though, it should work nicely.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Your first inclination for the dark headboard is a better direction. Wish your drapery panels were longer.

    headboard $299 Queen from Target

    on sale at Pier I $299.98
    headboard 2

  • 10 years ago
    Thank you for all of the feedback...I will post photos when we've made a decision and have the new headboard in place. About the drapes...are you suggesting they be hung closer to the ceiling? A friend told me the same thing...they hit the floor now - not sure they are long enough to go up any higher.
  • 10 years ago

    The darker one would have more impact on your wall, so if you want a strong focal point I'd go with the dark. If you want the room to feel very cohesive and light, the lighter headboard would begin to pull aspects of this space together.

  • 10 years ago

    Wanted to share with you pictures with the new headboard. It is darker than it looked in the picture I posted before, so I think it ended up being a great choice. Board and batten should go up in next couple of months and still trying to decide on an art piece. Have found several, just need to make a decision. Obviously having issues with the pillows, so suggestions are welcome.


    Thanks again for all the feedback and help!

  • 10 years ago

    Taller would make a bigger impact. You can barely see your new headboard.

    Gina Morrison thanked leelee
  • 10 years ago
    Love the new headboard. As to its height, just stack the bed pillows instead of propping them to reveal more headboard. That room would look gorgeous in an off white or creamy colored paint. Maybe after board and batten is up.
    Gina Morrison thanked weathy
  • 10 years ago

    It coordinates really well with your nightstands!