Software
Houzz Logo Print
poshky

I'm needing help finishing my Kitchen! I'm needing some ideas:)

10 years ago
Our kitchen is needing new barstools. We are also thinking of a couple chairs, side table, and a rug in this area by the window. We really do not want a dining table and chairs. I always envisioned this spot for us to relax and look out the window maybe in some comfortable, but nicer chairs. I was thinking club style maybe. I don't think there's enough room for 4 chairs so 2 would would be fine. The whole kitchen is 22x26. The area by the window is 6x8. Here are some pics of my place. I tried to take from all angles of the kitchen. Any help would be great! Thank you in advance!

Comments (287)

  • 10 years ago
    That's awesome too! I love it! You are on a roll!!
  • 10 years ago
    Thank you both! Ya I was trying to figure out how to get it on the wall but it's just too big I guess.
  • 10 years ago
    Where are those posing doggies? Out having their hair done? And I can hardly wait for the sofa!
  • 10 years ago
    Oh lol they have been all over they just moved to the other one. I know I hope the sofa looks good too:).

    This is as close as I can get the bird picture dimensions with tape. It looks a little high but it's eye level to me.
  • 10 years ago
    Am i the only one who finds this placement/ arrangement very odd? It just seems the chairs should be flanking the window OR scooted back almost against the side wall. I love the color combos and all but its just really odd with them floating sideways like that, with a dresser behind them. Sorry but this just isn't working to me! Or even place them caddy corner angling in, one against side wall and one against window, with a small accent table between them OR small coffee cube table in front of them. But as is its really awkward wuth everything lined up and sideways. To me this still needs some reworking and tweeking.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I would not have the dresser, but I am not a professional. I just don't think that there is enough room in that corner.

    @shiningautumn8...we posted the same though(ish) at the same time.

    Glad I'm not the odd man out :)

  • 10 years ago
    This is the angle Im referring too. Its just an awkward setup. Tho i love the dresser color its just not right there. If you remove it, push the chairs back (so just the front 1/3 are on rug) then add a small coffee table (like a cube or fabric square pouf) OR a accent table against wall between the chairs, it will define the space much better.
  • 10 years ago
    Oops forgot pic of the angle. Here tis
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks you both for you help. That's why I'm here is to get advice:) I said if it doesn't work there I can use it somewhere else. It was just an idea. Yes this is an odd space to work with I know.
  • 10 years ago
    Don't like double rug. Takes away from beauty of first rug. Wait till you get your furniture and it will pull together.
  • 10 years ago
    Looks too crowded with the table there. Use it somewhere else. Love the chairs with maybe a table in corner.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Perhaps you could have roman blinds in the yellowish color instead of the dresser?

  • 10 years ago
    Kjbjw thanks that's a thought.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Traditional Family Room · More Info

    Yes Poshky this is an unconventional use of this space, but I think it's great that you are thinking of your family's wants and needs with your design. I also think a small window treatment would give the windows a finished look, but first things first! Get the big stuff in then decide.
    Laguna Beach Kitchen · More Info

    1200 10th Street · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    Terry thanks so much! Yes I agreed I do need some type of window treatments. I like the second pic ones.
  • 10 years ago
    I meant the third pic treatments best. If I did decide to remove the dresser, could I add two smaller chairs like in these examples? I know they have a ton more space, but just a thought. I like the dresser in the room cause it adds color too. I wonder if it would work on this wall going towards the living room? Thanks again:)
  • 10 years ago
    Yes I think it might work on that wall. You could store gloves and umbrellas, etc in it. And throw your keys, purse and mail on it. Then slide the gray chairs back a bit with the rug placed in front of them. The clear table in front for wine glasses and snacks. Party time ;)
  • 10 years ago
    If you want to stay with neutral tones, I would pick something like these counter stools.

    For my dining area, I have this settee and chairs on the other side for a more casual, inviting look.

    Love your island & wall color! Good luck!
  • 10 years ago
    Janiced thank you. That all is very pretty.
  • 10 years ago
    Does this look better?
  • 10 years ago
    I moved them a few other directions!
  • 10 years ago
    Somewhere way back in this thread, it was mentioned that you wanted to use this space as a seating/social area adjacent to the kitchen. Do you want the people sitting there to be able to interact with the kitchen or is it more important for this to be it's own little self contained space?
  • 10 years ago
    Yes I want them to be able to interact. So if I'm cooking and people don't want to sit at the bar they can have a space more comfortable. They can still interact, but then turn and look outside. Thanks a lot I'm sorry I keep bugging!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Catty-corner, angled more toward each other a tad...like 3 inches tad.. :)

  • 10 years ago
    Like this?
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    That's a plus tad 3 inches... (yes. That is a technical term) So, less than that as you don't want them to look as though they are facing each other. Do you have small table to test in the corner? Just to get an idea? I might consider putting a small tulip table in that corner...

  • 10 years ago
    I posted a pic kinda like this way back in thread but I didn't have the rug down.
  • 10 years ago
    Ah, the dogs are back! I like this arrangement, but not the table. Someone posted a saarinen tulip table awhile ago - is that what we're talking about? I like that idea, but I still think you'll need something in front of the chairs - an ottoman?
  • 10 years ago
    Anniebird thanks Yes they are:) I just put that table there because it's the only thing I have. Yes I think something like an ottoman is still needed. I'll look at those tulip tables more closely. I looked a while back.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    i like that lamp on that table, i like the set up the way it is now, im thinking a large piece of art, i think the bird one was too small. BUT, i think you could use that somewhere in the house, like where the cadenza is now maybe.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    the rug looks good that way too. seems larger.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    warning do not get to many teal things :)

  • 10 years ago
    Table ideas plus some funky art I found - art is personal, so I could be way off, but maybe you'd consider something on the wall like a word spelled out in vintage letters? The etsy shop selling the poster has a huge collection of very cool letters.
  • 10 years ago
    Something for the top of the credenza:
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks so much! Cool ideas:) I saw that wooded ottoman half the price at TJ Maxx the other day! I got lucky and the dresser fits perfect on that wall. I was afraid it was going to be to long.

    Flair yes I think I'm done w the turquoise/teal! I have enough.
  • 10 years ago
    Ok everyone I know it's a little flamboyant, but this was my mother in laws quilt. I guess maybe that's what attracted me to that picture I posted earlier. This peacock is in the center of it, but it has ugly purple flowers bordering it! Does anyone have an ideas on what I could do with it. It has pretty colors. I hate to cut it down, but I know it won't be used with those purple flowers.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    its amazing

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    how big is it? could your frame it and hide the edge, or build it a sort of shadow box and fold it to the size you like?

  • 10 years ago
    Flair thanks for the ideas! The peacock is 29x39 & the quilt is a queen size.
  • 10 years ago

    Cut it down to the right size for that wall and get the part you like framed. Don't even question yourself on it.

    Light it from above. It will be beautiful.

    It was made for that space.

  • 10 years ago
    Kjbjw thank you! I'm going to look into it:)
  • 10 years ago
    Poshky, how's your project?
  • 10 years ago
    Anniebird still going lol! I still do not have any art over the chairs or ottoman, but I have been looking. I kinda jumped back to the living room since I got the new couch. As always still looking for both of them! Thanks for checking in on me. Hope you are doing well:)
  • 10 years ago
    Oooh - new couch for the LR! I remember reading about that in the comments. I would ask for a picture but that might be dangerous since you'd probably start getting advice! Not a bad idea to take a break when a room doesn't come together right away - when you go back to it, your perspective has shifted and sometimes things slot into place. Glad you're well - I am too :)
  • 10 years ago
    Anniebird well I started a dilemma for that room again lol. I was wanting console advice first. Now I was needing artwork ideas. Here's the link if you want to look. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/artwork-help-please-dsvw-vd~3834032
  • 10 years ago

    Interesting light pendents very unique!

  • 9 years ago
    Hey everyone I'm back! After living in the house for a good while now, we really don't use this corner anymore. I moved the gray chairs into the living room because they just seemed to big. I went back through the thread and looked at some ideas. I'm open to a table now lol! I was liking maybe the settee, couple small chairs and a table. Or does anyone have a dinning table that would look good?
  • 8 years ago
    I remember your house from way back when. What’s new?
  • 8 years ago
    Hey Banjo! I finally got a table for my kitchen. The plaid my not be perfect in color, but I love the style of it. I still need a art or something maybe for the wall, but afraid it will be to high.
  • 8 years ago
    Oh that’s a nice set! Maybe the art will have some of the yellow on your sofa table. Time to get crackin’?