Software
Houzz Logo Print
evan_kent28

Insulation in attic

10 years ago

I need to put insulation in an attic of a house I just bought. I am located on Long island NY - any one have any suggestions on R## and if it needs to be faced or not

Comments (3)

  • 10 years ago

    You should have at least an R value of 30 in the attic. If you are doing it yourself get unfaced insulation. It is easier to cut and if you have not worked with insulation it is not easy. If you do get a faced insulation, paper or foil, it always is placed face down. Do not place it face up it will be a fire hazard. Get some bids from a Insulation contractor for fiberglass blown in insulation. You will get better coverage with blown in and it might even be cheaper than trying to do it yourself.

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks! thats good to know. Ill make some calls tomorrow and hopefully they can give me an estimate soon. I didnt think of having someone do it.

  • 10 years ago

    you know that it only goes in the floor of the attic, not in the ceiling... you want the attic itself to be unheated to head off ice dams.