Software
Houzz Logo Print
mboyd50403

Suggestions for paint color combo?

10 years ago
This is a picture of what I have to work with. I am going to be replacing the floors and painting, but I'm stumped as to how to deal with this corner with paint. Should I paint the existing wood wall since it is lighter than the wood beams and it's also lighter than the fireplace?

Comments (11)

  • 10 years ago

    the fireplace is already a pretty big statement piece. You could try sanding the wood down and giving it a stain that matches your new color scheme or a whitewash, and place most of your decorations on that wall (photos, etc...)

  • 10 years ago
    Would you keep that focal wall the same color as the surrounding walls?
  • 10 years ago

    What are you replacing the floor with? That will make a difference.

  • 10 years ago
    Carpet, light, neutral.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Normally I'm anti-painting for these situations, but this is an exception. Remove or drywall over the T&G and paint out all the walls in a grey toned color to counteract the red/pink of the fireplace. Another opportunity here would be to color wash the stone - not to be confused with painting over however. Again I would normally never suggest this, but the pinkish stone is a tough one! That combined with the dominant scale of this thing also. A grayed wash would do a lot to tone this thing down.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    HI -- I would remove the wood on that wall , it takes away from the beams . It is a very dated style of the wood being angled . There is already a lot going on with that fireplace . If I had this room I would also remove that too large fireplace and put a smaller more modern one centered to the wall. There is just too many textures and lines and colors go on for one room. I would get rid of everything and just keep the beams . Then pick just one paint color like a nice neutral ,maybe a warm white for the whole room.

  • 10 years ago

    Depending on what you're doing with the floor, I might stain all the wood to match the beams, paint walls and ceiling all the same to match the stone.


  • 10 years ago
    No money in the budget to remove the fireplace although I do think that's a great idea. I absolutely agree with the gray color to counteract the pink, I just didn't know which color would counteract it the best. How do you do a gray wash? Is that something they could tell me at Sherwin-Williams, Benjamin Moore?
  • 10 years ago

    I think you should leave the colour of the fireplace be. I'd take down the wood wall and I'd add a mantle to the fireplace with the same weight as your ceiling beams. Here's what it might look like with your current paint colour:

    and a darker green


    a taupe


    and just for fun, a mauve


  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    HI -- When you get the wood removed then paint the wall and the stone fireplace all the same color , like a medium dark grey or better would be a warm white for that wall and the whole room. Putting a paint wash on that stone does not work because of all the colors of the stone . Use a washable flat paint or a pearl . Also remove that wood strip on the right wall .

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz