ron_ca

What Color Subway Tile Backsplash with White Shaker Cabinets?

ron_ca
4 years ago

So far white 3 x 6 subway is what we have decided on for backsplash. The paint on the wall is Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray and we are considering a gray subway tile to try and add something besides white even though I am convinced that white will look good. Cabinets are a matte finish (Valspar) and we are bouncing back and forth from matte subway to glossy. Opinions and photos appreciated. Thanks

Comments (62)

• Jancy
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We just went through the same thing. We wanted white but not stark white. We are going with Jeffrey Court Mountain Mist 3x12. It also comes in 3x6 and has 1/2 rampage edge and bullnose for edge. We are going with the ramp edge for ends. It not a bright white but reads off white with light gray. Not yet installed. Beveled edge tiles in my opinion seemed to add to much shadows with the bevel. We did a sample board and now trying grout color.

• ron_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Yes the sample boards have got to be helpful. I'm thinking white with light gray grout if I can't find the right gray tile.
  • Related Discussions

(Creamy?) White Cabinets, Black Countertops, Carrera Marble Subway Tile Backsplash

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks again!! It is a relatively small kitchen 126" x 194" in an L shape layout. We will be replacing kitchen table with an island. (It is somewhat similar to the inspiration photo in layout.) I will try to get some pictures. I agree with the designer consultation but my husband was dead set against it....I need him to see the light! It will make our life so much easier!!
    ...See More

with off white cabinets and green glass subway tiles backsplash

Q

Comments (7)
    I think one of the whiter granites would look lovely or even a marble look quartz. There is another thread going where someone has a granite that looks very much like Carrara marble - she said it was called Everest.
    ...See More

Natural cherry cabinets and white glass subway tile backsplash

Q

Comments (3)
    Wow thanks. These cabinets are almost just like mine. This gives me a good idea of what my idea would look like.
    ...See More

Want to use white subway tile in kitchen backsplash-what color grout?

Q

Comments (1)
    Can you add a picture of your kitchen? It would be super helpful, but from the sounds of it, I would probably stick with white grout unless you want a more industrial look in which case you could do gray - but I think in your kitchen it could look really busy. Are you 100% committed to white subway tile? There are a lot of really beautiful colors of subway tile available these days, maybe a light taupe or tan could work - the contrast agains the granite would not be as stark and make it feel more high-end. Ann Sacks or Waterworks have really nice collections of these http://www.waterworks.com/products/surfaces/ceramic/field-tile/cottage-field-tile-3-x-6/121
    ...See More
  • Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

Make sure and measure things out. We had an area under the range hood that was 1/2" too short. Found a 3"X9" tile in the same tile that we could cut down. Would have been a disaster if we had not planned!!!

• Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

If you go with different color grout, it will make every individual tile stand out. And can make the backsplash look quite busy. IMO, competes with the countertop.

• PRO
    Chi Renovation & Design
    4 years ago

It might be useful to see a few designs of ours.

Downtown Condo Makeover · More Info

Remodeled Kitchen · More Info

White Kitchen · More Info

• Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

Have you decided on a tile? How does it look?

• ron_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Well, it was a lot harder than we thought it would be. After going round and round with different manufacturers we chose Dal Tile 0100 white in glossy. It is kind of a gray tone as opposed to bright white or more towards cream.

We could not find a gray that we were happy with so chose white and will use Delorean Gray grout. I was originally against a contrasting grout but warmed up to it in the end after seeing several examples here on Houzz. Will have very small grout lines and bought bullnose pieces for the ends of runs.

Getting it installed is another issue. Seems like all H3LL has broke loose in San Diego and every referral I got was booked for the next couple of months :(
  • PRO
    KHB Interiors
    4 years ago
    Hi

I know several designers in SD who can work with you and get one of their subs in there for you. Let me know if I can help.

I think it will look great.

KHB Interiors in New Orleans

Please follow us on Houzz

Http://www.houzz.com/khbinteriors/
  • Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

Sometimes the "easiest" decisions are the hardest!

Now, for an installer....my husband was able to install ours. Did it while I was out of town....smart man!!!

Good luck and keep us posted!!

• ron_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thank you KHB Interiors. Think I have it handled now, will keep you in mind though.

Kathi, thought about installing ours but my wife was opposed. I like things done well and she didn't want me to go through any frustration if I was having difficulties. She also said if I did it that she would't be any where around Lol. So yes your husband is a smart man.
  • Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

My husband is very handy and did a lot of the work. I work nites, so he did a lot while I was at work and while I was out of town.

Our youngest moved back in, so they had an awesome "father - son" bonding experience with the kitchen!! Both of them learned a lot! I tried to stay out of their hair as much as possible. I gave them my "list" and my vision, and they ran with it!

• ron_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Getting there.
  • ron_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    We like it a lot.

I will post some more pics once I get my 2 under cabinet lights back from the electrician. For now, a couple wires hanging down
  • PRO
    Cabinets 4U, Inc.
    4 years ago

Choosing a backsplash can be overwhelming! Here is
    a great article: A
    Backsplash Guide

• Rissa Monzano
    4 years ago

What kind of tiles did you all use for your flooring? We are looking into a calacatta nature tile, but i am thinking more like a greyish marble calacatta look?

• M. Wells
    4 years ago

We just decided on the exact same tile and have almost the exact same kitchen!! Just curious how you decided to finish the edging. Did you go with bullnose subway tile pieces or the liner as suggested by someone above?

• PRO
    Interior Designer - Home Stylist
    4 years ago

didn't read all of the comments above but I'd suggest white subway tile with a light grey grout..

• ron_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kallie we used subway tile with bullnose edges.

• Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

Any finished pictures?

• lenke
    4 years ago
    Personally I would go with white subway tile with white grout. That is what I did in my kitchen our cabinet maker told me I would regret it because I would not have any contrast., but I think it makes my quartz counters stand out much better. Now everyone says they love it and can't believe how good it looks
  • ron_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Kathi we are finished and love our kitchen. We just moved in and don't have Internet till Thursday so will post some then.
  • ron_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    here is one pic off my phone but wasn't quite finished
  • PRO
    denielle1221
    4 years ago
    Looks like you did white 3x6 glossy with white grout. Looks so nice.
  • ron_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Grout is DeLorean Gray
  • ron_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    thank you denielle
  • Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

It is absolutely, absolutely drop dead awesome!!! I hope you are loving your kitchen and your new house!

It took me several months to get the placement of all my pots, pans, dishes, glasses, etc. in just the right spot. Even now, I ask about the rarely used things.. where does this....fill in the blank... go?

• ron_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    another view
  • ron_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks Kathi. Here is another for now
  • ron_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks Kathi. More pics to follow
  • ron_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    We love our new kitchen.
  • Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

WOW!!! Just WOW!!!

I love it!!

• wcdoran
    4 years ago
    Beautiful!!!
  • ozzie75
    3 years ago

LOVE this!! It looks beautiful. I am in the same boat and need to pick my tile. I know you said you used Daltile 0100. I am finding different places sometimes call it a different name. Can you tell me where you purchased? Hoping HD or Lowes might carry. If not, may have to order online. Thanks

• ron_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    Thanks ozzie75.

We bought the subway tile at Daltile. We have one local to us.

If I remember either HD or Lowes had or could order some but didn't nave the bullnose pieces in their system.
  • ozzie75
    3 years ago

Thanks ron_ca. I was able to get the tile at Home Depot. I am debating on white or deloreon grey grout. I actually love it the look right now without grout which gives it a slight contrast. I am worried deloreon grey will be too dark and white will be too bright.....I might try and look for something in between. Would you be able to post a pic of the backsplash up close? Appreciate your help, thanks!

• ron_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If you love the contrast go with the Deloreon gray, it isn't dark but gives definition to the individual tiles. We are so glad we chose it over white grout but our grout lines are small YMMV. Busy day tomorrow but will see if I have a pic to post.

• jennmw
    3 years ago

Hi,

Absolutely love your kitchen. What type/color of flooring do you have?

• ron_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks jennmw! The floor is California Classics Mediterranean Collection Crispus.

• Rishi
    3 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I like what you did with the microwave. Which one is it? Is it built-in or a countertop kind in a cabinet?

• ron_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Rishi. Most built -in microwaves are countertop models with a trim kit. This was kind of a mistake by my cabinet guy. He made the upper doors too big and the shelf above the micro to low for the stainless trim kit to fit.

He was willing to move the shelf and remake the doors but I came up with this solution. The white painted trim is made out of maple and attached by 4) compression catches. I also felt like the trim kits made the stainless look a little too much stainless with the dark glass. This worked out nicely.

• Rishi
    3 years ago

Thanks Ron. I agree, the white 'trim' looks better than stainless ones I am seeing during my sore visits. Good mistake!

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    3 years ago

Looks very, very nice! I wanted to suggest white subway tile with dark grout for the contrast, very much like one of the photos here homearttile.com/white-shaker-cabinets-sale-queens-ny/

• newproject858
    2 years ago
    Ron, what is the make, model name, color of your cabinets? Are they frameless or frames w/ full overlay? They are beautiful!!!
  • ron_ca
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Cabinets are framless and are by All American Kitchens in Van Nuys. Uppers are 40" with trim below for the under cabinet lighting and 3 1/2" crown molding on top. Doors are maple shakers with a nice inside detail.

• Kristen A
    2 years ago

i see its been 2 years since your kitchen remodel... how are you liking your cabinets? I'm considering white shaker and i'm a nervous wreck lol.. I love the look, i'm afraid of the upkeep. I'd love your review now two years later...

• ron_ca
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    Our cabinets are just as beautiful today as they were 2 years ago. We just bought a brand new home in another state so will split time between the 2 houses. Our choice for cabinets in the new home, well white shaker of course.
  • Beth
    last year

I know this post is old but what color Valspar white did you use for your cabinets?

• HU-948097597
    last year
    Hi Ron, I currently have a sample of the Crispus flooring in my house. It is a front runner for our floor choice and I was wondering if you have any additional photos of your flooring? Thanks in advance!!
  • ron_ca
    Original Author
    last year

Let me check tomorrow

Still love my floor 3 years in but if I had to pick over again I would go lighter. Our house is pretty dark so ymmv.