Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_262116

Textured ceilings

10 years ago

I'm driving myself crazy. Every decision is mulled over at least a thousand times in my head, usually needlessly. However, I'm concerned that our decision to texture our ceilings is one I'll regret. We're doing smooth walls and "tree bark" ceilings. No crown molding, open floor plan.. Thoughts? Pictures? Will this look silly?

Comments (10)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    My concerns with textured ceilings are that they'll be hard to paint and very hard to patch should the need ever arise (e.g., if you move a light fixture or have to repair a leak.) Any patch will be hard to match to the previous texturing. I'd Google "repair textured ceiling" and see what you get. I know I've seen several posts on the Buying and Selling Homes and Decorating forums about replacing popcorn ceilings. Your tree bark sounds better than popcorn, but not as easy in the long run as smooth.

  • 10 years ago

    If I even say the word wallpaper, DH loses it, lol! But I would love to do something like that, cpartist!! The thing about the texture is, I do like the look, but it's impossible to know what it will look like in our house - until it's done. Then it's too late, if I hate it! Ugh. I'm ready to be done making decisions.

  • 10 years ago

    I have popcorn ceilings (house built in 1989) and I've painted them. The secret is to use a split foam roller, which can get paint around the bumps.

    When we replaced carpet on the main floor with hardwood, it took a while to get used to the echo - even with a textured ceiling. I hate to think what the acoustics would be like if the ceiling was flat.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    It is often a regional thing but I would make them smooth.

  • 10 years ago

    Well, just had a convo with the builder. He says the tree bark is definitely a pretty bold texture, and that's what I'm afraid of. We're going to go with smooth everything. Hopefully our drywallers know what they're doing!

  • 10 years ago

    Is it cheaper to do a texture? I don't know why you would want it otherwise. I have spent too much time removing texture to ever put it in!

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, smooth is a big upcharge, especially when finishing 6k sq ft. That's not why we were wanting texture, however. I liked the look of it in a house we toured and thought we wanted it. But like most things, I've now thought about it until I'm sick over it and reconsidered.

  • 10 years ago

    You can't really go wrong with smooth...so that can at least put your mind at ease on this decision! :) On to the next one!

  • 10 years ago

    Go smooth, for resale and also repair issues. We have an open floor plan and went with a smooth ceiling in all rooms.