0
smithamyl

How do I blend my garage to the house?

Amy S

My garage was obviously added on after the house was built. I feel like it sticks out like a sore thumb. Any ideas on how to blend the two? I was thinking about adding a different type of stone or even painting the garage door.

flair lighting

add stone vanear and paint the garage door a darker color.

Amy S thanked flair lighting
  • ritasj
    Maybe start by painting the shutters on the house white ...and a add a little brick detail to the garage..maybe a half wall of matching brick on each side of the garage door..
    Amy S thanked ritasj
  • ritasj
    If you love the black shutters...you could paint the garage door black
    Interior Works Inc

I think anything white is usually more prominent -- I actually love the black shutters as well. Since there is a lot of siding, and you want the whole garage to blend in more, the siding could be painted black, leaving the garage door white like the pediment at the front door.

• patricia hall

Paint the shutters, front door and the garage a nice gray. Here's a photo to show how nice gray and red brick look together.

Traditional Exterior · More Info

• ritasj
    In fact ..introducing any matching new color to the shutters and garage would probably do the trick...another element that accentuates the separateness is the driveway...it doesn't go with anything and it also does not tie into the house...if you added a more pronounced ...connected walkway to the house from the driveway...that would also help...the porch and walkway to the house are understated in size and scale to the driveway....therefore ...more separation
    Amy S thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • grapefruit1_ar

Beverly nailed it!

• afronaut
    Paint that brick! It's stained from the previous (white?) shutters. Power-washing won't get those stains off. So you might as well paint the house--either white to match the garage or some other color that would mean painting the garage too.
  • Alan McGoldrick

carriage house doors on the garage, think about eyebrow windows on the roof or colonial styled window dormers