Software
Houzz Logo Print
mtnken1

Need help with the backsplash in a custom kitchen

We would like to know what type of back slash to use in the kitchen with rock and travertine flooring. Please let us know if you can help!?


Alder/Walnut Kitchen cabinetry · More Info

Alder/Walnut Kitchen cabintrey · More Info
The Tile followers on my site and others, please let me know.

Ken


Comments (56)

  • 10 years ago

    Because of all the rustic finishes, I'd be tempted to go with a matte glass, to harmonize a bit with the stone et al. Maybe a warm gray or even white. But matte, not glossy.

    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked acm
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Thanks acm as they have one like the as they are 3/4 " wide by all lengths. Glass and tan colors to go with floor but was not looking with the rustic look of the rest of room as the huge window is the dinning room.

    Ken

  • 10 years ago
    Do you have a picture of the floor or counters?
    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked lisa0527
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    What I would like info on is shape design and color. The counter is going to be a tannish color to match floor, but distressed Alder and Walnut cabinetery what would be the greatest look to finish the look you need to give to your client??

    Ken


  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hold on Lisa

    Ken


  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I trying to do that . The floor is tan travatene. I trying to get them here for the help
    Ken
  • 10 years ago

    Without seeing the countertop here are a couple of ideas. You could forgo a backsplash as there already are many different surfaces. You could use the same as the countertop unless it is heavy on movement. You could use an understated stone type subway tile, like a travertine that color coordinates with the countertop and cabinets.


    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked jhmarie
  • 10 years ago

    If they have a tin ceiling, that could be repeated as a backsplash. Reducing the number of finishes will make for a more cohesive look. And you'll have a subtle gleam to the backsplash rather than a loud shine.

    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked Jennifer K
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    That's a great look as I will show my client thanks and it would go great.
    Ken
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Thanks Jennifer. Good point after thinking of it. Any tile out there to match ceiling.?
    Ken
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    @jhmarie, this is the closest colors that you have in the photo you sent me, so all that will be the closest look.

    Ken


  • 10 years ago

    If their ceiling tiles are from Armstrong, there are matching backsplash tiles. It would not surprise me if other companies do the same.

    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked Jennifer K
  • 10 years ago

    The company that made the ceiling may have a smaller copper look tin tile (that is what I think I am seeing) suitable for backsplash and also google "copper tin tile". However, that may be too dark - at least it would be for me, maybe not for your client.

    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked jhmarie
  • 10 years ago
    Penny backsplash
    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked Chanda Robson
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I am looking for a distinctive look for the back splash that will go with Alder distressed combined with walnut cabinetry that I built to go with a tan travertine tile flooring with a tannish color counter top. I thank you all for this for the input as I am looking to accent my cabinetry built for my client, as they are not sure on back splash either. All help is very appreciated.

    Ken



  • PRO
    10 years ago

    @flamingdaisy052, like your name! Penny back splash?? The look I need to see in that look.

    Ken


  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Have you considered a tan travertine tile in either a 2x6, 2x8, 4x8, or a square (4x4 or 6x6) offset pattern? Basically use the same travertine stone and color as the flooring.

    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    My client even thought of adding the rock that is on wall to be back splash, NO, as it would be harder to clean, right? but would look great as the flow went through the room.

    Ken


  • 10 years ago

    I think a "distinctive" backsplash is a mistake. Sorry, they must choose a countertop first. It is not enough to simply say it will be tan.

    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked emmarene9
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    We are wondering if that look will work with the look of cabinetry and trim work? Diana Bier Interiors, that does sound good but needs an extra YES to finish kitchen. I did like the tiles shown above.

    Ken


  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Very true emmarene, The counters here have not yet been bought. Color is going a tan color to go with the travatene flooring. Is it wise to purchase all this buy one contractor, (counter, back splash, sink) as one? We are at this point and asking for look and design.

    Ken


  • 10 years ago
    Soapstone would look fabulous with those cabinets! Are the floors in yet? Can we see them?
    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked texasboykin
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Yes real soon on the floor reveal. I will show in a couple days. Thanks at all!
    Ken
  • 10 years ago

    I like the idea of travertine for the backsplash, however, I have seen travertine that has such great color variation that it looked busy. If they choose tan granite then you will need a calm backsplash. It depends on if the customers have their heart set on some crazy granite.

    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked emmarene9
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Too many clowns in the circus ring already. Everything else needs to be no pattern plain and neutral. Even that may not be plain enough.

  • 10 years ago

    A custom home should involve an actual designer for input during the design phase. Without that critical input, you end up with immovable objects that dictate against other possible choices later.

    Those wood cabinets and "design" are immovable objects. They are far too dominant. Nothing that you can do can tone them down. They scream. The best that you can do at this stage is to not add to the pattern overload.

    Something uniform in color, with no pattern like Quartz for the counter and back painted glass would be a better choice than any of the stones or anything else.

    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    White marble slate for both backsplash and countertop.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    No offense, but cabinet builders aren't designers. There was no reason, with a full range and two wall ovens on top of the oven in the range....to have a microwave )?) box hanging over a cooktop. Make the best of the situation. Soapstone will have a soft organic feel, will acknowledge the other rustic elements, and will ground the dark tones in the cabinetry. Counter and splash, with minimal veining and nice and dark........no gloss and shine. Failing that a honed black granite in both spots. Everyone can not star in any show.

  • 10 years ago

    Agree with Jan. There is enough texture and lines already going on. Contrast would be best.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Thank You for all advice, I would like to say I know the kitchen is very busy or (too many clowns), your eye travels a lot....This is not me, it is my clients wants, I am the builder/installer. My question here was for what would you think would be best to high light the cabinets. I like the light travertine, as it would, I hope break the busy look down. @JAN MOYER Not saying nothing bad but the 3 ovens where installed for a cook/baker with a bigger family! You must not like to cook or bake? Sorry you don't like it.

    Thanks,

    Ken


  • 10 years ago

    Why isn't your client seeking out a professional designer to assist in the remaining choices for the home? She could have used one way before now. It's isn't just the busyness of the kitchen that had to be overcome here. It is poorly laid out as well and won't function well for a baker or a stovetop cook. Since it isn't finished, there is still time to fix some of that! Why don't you connect with a professional KD on Houzz semi local to you and set up an appointment for your client?

    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked User
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    @GreenDesigns, We have had nothing but huge problems here with contractors. They have decided to go with their own design/set up of their home. The community here has a population of 245 people. Contractors have a problem coming to the clients home as we are just lower then LookOut Pass Ski Resort.

    I just would like advise to high lite one thing in this busy kitchen

    Thanks

    Ken

  • 10 years ago

    You are doing the right thing, "working for your clients needs & wants". I vote for a matte solid color such as soapstone on counter as well as backsplash. Whatever is used be sure to suggest under cabinet LED lighting for great prepping. Very nice work you have done.

    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked sandradclark
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    @sandradclark, Thank you as can you show a photo of that look, do you have one? The flooring is light Travitine tile. I would like to show client on the look, not what they like and it don't go with kitchen. LED light are under all cabinets.

    Ken

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The LED lights are built into the cabinets so no wiring shown

    Ken

  • 10 years ago

    Waiting to see the floor.

    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked emmarene9
  • 10 years ago
    Examples I found if the penny backsplash. I plan to use the pennies eventually in my powder room. I think they would
    Look stunning in this kitchen.
    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked flamingdaisy
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Thanks Flamingdaisy, I could see them going towards your second photo here. I like it but it might still pull. As you know the situation. Is there a lighter look to the second photo?

    Ken

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Here is the floor tile as it is se inside a darker marble 4" wide border with the travertine in a diamond shape.

    Ken


    Kitchen cabinets · More Info

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think you need to go with a darker grey and not match the cabinets too closely. A simple grey ceramic subway tile in a large 6 X 18, then you'll only have three rows of tile. Or a frosted glass subway tile in smoke grey (depending on your countertop). You need some contrast with the cabinets.

    You could go really light. An off white but its hard to say without seeing your counter top. No liner or decorator pieces - keep it clean and simple. See how this backsplash gets lost:

    Add contrast:

    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked Maguire
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I see your point @Maguire, The first photo is washed out to much but looks good, the second photo I really like the floor! The darker back splash goes well. Designer wise will the grey tile back splash go with our tan floor? Plus the counter has not yet been picked as we are looking into both. This is an open pallet right now and thanks for the looks giving as I will show them to my client.

    Thanks

    Ken


  • 10 years ago

    I am glad to see your floor. It does not look tan to me. Since the pro's are suggesting a dark countertop I'm thinking it must be a good idea. I'd prefer something close to the floor color if it were my kitchen. Just depends on what your client wants. You should at least mention soapstone to them.

  • 10 years ago

    I found this image but please ignore the backsplash.

  • 10 years ago

    Pink travertine with a dark marble border??? Yikes! Another clown. I'm crosseyed already. You need plain no pattern nothing quartz. And use it for the splash. Really, some of this needs to GO. Layer upon layer of clashing pattern is seizure inducing.

  • 10 years ago
    Not a pro but with Hickory cabinets and Quartz countertop it looked busy. We had a soft cream subway tile with a pop of red.
    Mountain MT Homes LLC thanked Sandy Berndt-Grimm
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    This floor is very far from pink!!
    Its a very light tan to white with brown tones.
    Ken
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I do like that look as we could add a brownish color accent tile to go with the rest of kitchen look.

    Ken


  • 10 years ago

    Travertine always has pinkish undertones. Some men with a touch of red green color blindness can't see color undertones. Which is unfortunate when you have those men attempting to design. You end up with ^.

    At this point, the only thing that could pull that kitchen together is to paint the cabinets. It needs some calmness.

  • 10 years ago

    Painting the cabinets would only draw attention to some things that are now camouflaged by the busyness. There isn't much of a solution to fix the issues here other than start over. Even a dark counter and plain backsplash can only do so much.