Software
Houzz Logo Print
unruli

Need help with colorful floor layout for walkout studio

10 years ago

As soon as the drywall is complete I will be considering flooring for our walk-out basement. The floor will be continuous between four separate rooms and we're thinking that VCT tile would be great flooring for all of those rooms.

The rooms include;

1. a VERY large art studio of approximately 800 sq.ft. (no photo available)

2. a small area at the bottom of the stairs where a cabinet will be built for the cats (litter box, storage, food on the counter with climbing and perches above)

3. our "dog room"

4. and a VERY small half-bath (this room color may change.....we just used paint leftover from another application).

The studio is the main showcase for the entire walkout and I'll likely need to paint it a light, neutral color so as to not affect my art by light bouncing off of brightly colored walls. That will make this the only non-colorful room in the entire house.....and we do love our color! To compensate, I'd like to add color on the floor. VCT tile would not only be perfect for wear, cleaning and solvent resilience, but it is also great for color!

I'm not really interested in a repeating pattern for the floor. I think I prefer something more random and that would allow the pattern to be adjusted to add/eliminate colors at the doorways to create a good flow through the rooms. I think I'd like something containing 3-5 colors And I'm particularly drawn to these types of ransom "patterns":

We've now used VCT in both my husband's woodworking shops (the last shop at our old home and now the shop at the new house). His choice was an alternating pattern of orange and blue (Illinois fan) to compensate for the white walls necessary to maximize light reflection. Our experiences so far with this type of flooring are the reasons why we are leaning toward VCT.

I would hate to have to determine a tile layout of something like this by hand or even by PhotoShop as it would take FOREVER! I expect there will be a lot of adjustment as I determine what layout would be best and those are just not ideal tools. Any recommendations for websites or programs that might make designing a "random" color tile layout easier?

Any other ideas that I might consider for flooring or images of flooring layouts that you think might work out given the information?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio