Software
Houzz Logo Print
pbar673874

Help Decorate My Livingroom

10 years ago
So thanks to all of your help I finally got my apartment painted and crown moulding installed which I ended up loving. Before I start hanging anything I just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions regarding decorating the Livingroom. I have some art, but I think I'm also going to potentially buy some new pieces this weekend at an art show.

My apartment is an 1 bedroom in New York and as you can tell I like the industrial look. I do wish the wall was all brick and not brick and cinder block

Comments (20)

  • 10 years ago
    Add some houseplants! A palm would fit well behind the armchair, and some smaller plants would be nice accents, for example on the bookshelf
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    drapes would warm and soften up that window wall. I love the apartment. The cinder block is....interesting! Put one of your big art pieces over the chair.

    are you on the lookout for barstools also?

  • 10 years ago
    I am going to need to buy more stuff, but attached are photos of some stuff that I already but currently don't have hung up.

    Blue canvas - I don't know the actual size on this canvas, but it's pretty large. I have had it for an while now, but I just need to get it stretched or find some other way to get it hung.

    The red & blue painting - I purchased this one and definitely want to keep it.

    The orange painting - I actually did this one myself, but I don't know if it could fit anywhere. I also have room in my bedroom if I had to put it somewhere.

    The metal mirror - purchased this at homegoods 3 years ago but I'm not sure where I should put it. I originally had it between the two windows.
  • 10 years ago
    On the wall by the window I am going to put some wooden shelves. Going to try to recreate the picture I found online.
  • 10 years ago
    Drapes are on my list of things to purchase, and I was looking to maybe do Roman shades. I currently have some west elm stools that you can kinda see in the one picture, but I am going to most likely purchase new ones that fit better with the apartment so that would be on the list as well.

    Just so you have a little better idea of how the room might look, I want to get rid of the wine cabinet I have by the window and love the medicine cabinet in its place since I can just add some shelves in the bottom to fit my wine.

    While I haven't purchased anything yet or really looked at dining room tables, since I had an decent amount of space on the side of the apartment by the window I kidna wanna get an drop leaf dining room table.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    a bigger piece needs to be over your couch. or perhaps two interesting "sister" pieces.

  • 10 years ago
    If I wanted to just have one piece it would have to be huge so maybe 2 pieces will do the trick. I need to measure out the canvas but that is definitely over 3ft wide. Ended up buying the piece from an artist on the street in midtown Manhattan and only paying $50 for it.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The orange piece may be interesting over your sofa. What are the dimensions?

  • 10 years ago
    I will have to measure it out when I get home tonight from work. It's a pretty decent sized piece. Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!
  • 10 years ago

    For sure hang your own art. You are very smart to buy art locally & original too. I have mixed feelings with the concrete & brick, however it is very unique, keep it as is. I absolutely adore the medicine cabinet!!!

    I would hang the blue & red on the wall that the medicine cabinet is, on the other side of the TV. Do hang the orange above the sofa if it is large enough. It will bring out the orange & yellow colors in the wall. I love your idea with the pipe fixture. What will you put on it? I think your area rug is very special. For sure keep it.

    Izzy Steel Adjustable Swivel Stool, Orange · More Info
    Hey, how about these bar stools?

  • 10 years ago
    So I measured the orange painting last night and it's 4ft wide by 3ft high so it might be large enough to fill the space on the cinderbrick wall.

    If the blue and red painting fits in between the two windows, would that be a good place for it as well? It definitely could work next to the tv, but if it matters at all I think I'm going to mount it once I have officially decided where everything is going to be placed. I want to have the tv and couch far enough to the door of the apartment so I would be able to have an dining room table that wouldn't look jammed in.

    I don't know the actual measurements but the blue splatter paint canvas is pretty large and could easily have similar dimensions as the orange painting. Do you think placing that on the brick wall where the cinder block is could be an good way to cover it up?
  • 10 years ago
    Regarding the pipe fixture I could always get rid of the leaning bookshelf and put some of those items on the shelves instead. Since that area gets an good amount of light during the day, another option would be to get some plants. I definitely wold like to have some spot where I can hang some pictures of my family and friends.
  • 10 years ago
    Just picked up the attached art today for the apartment.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    the orange painting is pretty dynamic and would be great over your sofa especially since it has personal meaning for you. The size is perfect.

  • 10 years ago
    The orange painting could definitely work over the sofa. Didn't get an chance to measure the new piece I got yesterday, but when I pick it up on Sunday I can see if that fits in between the two windows since that could be a good home for it.

    Since I'm most likely getting rid of the leaning bookshelf once the shelves are complete, would it be wise to put another piece on the side with the cider block. I have no art in the bedroom but I do have the blue splatter painting as well as the blue and red one.
  • 10 years ago
    So I think this one is going over the couch. It's 43" wide and 33" high.
  • 10 years ago
    I would try reversing the layout a bit. Move the sofa to the opposite wall . The metal bar will look interesting against the brick. The tv stand needs to be a low but long industrial cabinet in a color or gray metal. The black creates a large dark void i.m.o.
    You can still do the industrial shelving you planned on the regular wall as this balances the vibe on both sides.
    Your art is all great and you should try it different ways.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Try glass wall art. We make simple modern installations perfect for industrial interiors. Even just a few pieces will brighten up the space. www.alvitradesign.com

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hello pbar673874! there is an article on how to create industrial styling without living in a loft in 8 easy steps - have a look >>>> http://bit.ly/1PqnTH4