Software
Houzz Logo Print
iamaimee40

Monotone House Stuck in the 80's and Lacks Curb Appeal

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago


Hi All,

I just purchased this 1980's ranch and can't figure out where to start regarding creating curb appeal. The house has vinyl siding that is in good condition, but the house, trim, soffits and garage door are all the same color. I would like to give the house and yard some character and curb appeal, but we don't know where to start. Please help, any and all suggestions are welcome!

Comments (20)

  • 10 years ago

    You definitely need to paint your house with two or three colors! The first one should be the main house color; the second is for the trim; and the third is for the door. What color is your roof and do you have any brick on the house? When choosing a paint color, all of these things need to be considered. When I was choosing my house paint a couple of months ago, I took into consideration the green roof; red brick chimney; and natural stone on the front of my house. I came up with taupe for the main color; blue for the trim; and red for the doors.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Take out those bushes that hide the walkway and entry add some landscaping a new door some nice plantings along a walkway that goes to the road and leads to the door and then choose a color for the door and the shutters

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I would pick out a second color for the garage close in value to what there is but a neutral from a slightly different family of neutrals. I would make the raised portion one color and the second the second color. Then I would call in a landscape designer, give him your budget, go with all native plants to ensure your planting will survive. another thought which includes landscaping as your big budget item is to forget two tone garage doors and paint the triangular trim above the siding on the garage a strong yellow and also use that for your shutters.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I second the motions. Some added color for the doors and frames using subdued shades will get the ball rolling. If a landscape architect is in the budget I'd consult with one. Expanding the front entry and adding some interest with furniture and lighting as well as plants.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    for the roof line and other trims that are painted the same color as the house-choose a color that is in the roof, and then go a shade or two deeper. keep it in the cool family as is the siding on the house. Perhaps the window and door frames be painted a warm off white to help cheer the place up too. Then choose a nice deep wine color for the shutters. I cannot tell if you can paint your front door?

  • 10 years ago

    Is it safe to paint vinyl? Will that damage it?

  • 10 years ago

    I wouldn't paint the entire house. If your siding is in good shape, leave it the neutral color it is. Add color to the house by painting the trim a darker color like the shutters. I'd spend the bulk of your budget with a landscape architect. This way you can finish your driveway; add an inviting walkway and color landscaping. You can always change the house color once your siding is in need of repair. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I don't think the monotone is really the problem, it's the lack of proper landscaping. Here's a fairly monotone look that works well. You'd just need to paint your shutters in a color that doesn't contrast as much. More about the roofline later.

    The Willamette- Plan# · More Info

    Another option is a fresh white for your trim. Agree that the garage door should be left as it is, the same color as your siding.

    Secluded Retreat · More Info

    2000 Showcase · More Info

    Your roof style is a clipped gable roof, also called a snub gable or jerkinhead roof. Here is a Houzz articles about them. [clipped gable roof[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/clipped-gable-roofs-extend-traditional-exterior-style-stsetivw-vs~4816960) It's a classic Craftsman or bungalow touch. I like it, although I think the large gable should have something to
    break it up. Maybe that would be a place for a large house number, or even a purely decorative gable trim as in the picture immediately above. gable trim

    I'd landscape first, then paint the shutters so they don't draw so much attention and add some decoration to the gable. You may find that you like it very well without doing anything more.

    Ask a local nursery to draw up a plan for you with plants that look good all year (plenty of evergreens), and don't need a lot of pruning and maintenance to keep them looking good. A professional plan is well worth it as you're 'once and done' with your planting. Around here they're not expensive. Or even go with plenty of photos and your measurements, and they may be able to help you select plants on the spot.

    The basic look of your house is very attractive, and won't need much to bring out its charm.

  • 10 years ago

    Don't try to paint the vinyl siding! Huge mistake.

    Beef up the garage door trim (it's way too small) and the lights.

    I'd get rid of the shutters; they don't fit that style of house, they are too narrow, and they are clearly fake and probably vinyl

    The gable end over the garage door is a big expanse of plain vinyl siding. I'd break it up with an 8" (or so) trim board connecting the ends of the gables and possibly some other detail in the triangle above (switch to shingles, put in a small window, etc.).

    I would leave the trim the color that it is (maybe just a bit darker), and paint the 2 white windows to match. Don't forget--the trim shouldn't draw attention to itself--it's just not interesting and shouldn't be featured by lots of contrast.

    Then landscaping.

  • 10 years ago

    I agree that the meatball shrubs should be taken out and a landscaping plan drawn up. Adding color, both in evergreens and annuals, along with varying heights and textures will make a huge difference. You could break up the garage door expanse by taking out one panel and adding a row of windows. You have nice wide window trim so I also agree that removing the too small shutters is a good idea. It won't take much to transform your house. Good luck with your project!

  • 10 years ago
    Brighten the shutters and garage door (?coral?) and put white on the soffits and eavestroughs (but NOT the downspouts).
  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago
    Here are my suggestions.

    - Paint the soffet, down spout, and garage door to match the shutters.

    - Remove existing shrubs.

    - Plant day lilies along pathway to the door.

    - Replace single door with double doors painted a dark orange.

    - Along the the front of the home to the left of the door plant a row of dwarf boxwoods.

    - In front of the boxwoods plant 3 or 4 lime light hydrangeas.

    - Replace the light fixtures on the garage with something bigger.
  • 10 years ago
    I forgot to add, use a dark color enhanced much around your bushes and plantings.
  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    I'd add a pergola over the garage and change the door to a model with windows on top. Craftsman front door. When time comes to change the roof or siding, more contrast would help. I think partim's examples work because the roof color is dark on all of them.

  • 10 years ago

    Other than the snub roof, there really isn't anything else that would make it craftsman. I would be tempted to look at contemporary or transitional, cleaner lines for the landscaping and any changes to the house itself. Remove the shutters. Change the lights on the garage. You may want to replace the garage door in the future to something less traditional/colonial in feeling.

    Remove the bushes. Change the sidewalk to enter further down your driveway instead of right next to the garage. Maybe you want a linear rather than curvy sidewalk. Extremely low plantings if any against the house, have a garden further out into the yard. These houses are also rather monotone but well landscaped.

    Bonifield Residence · More Info



    Contemporary Ranch style Home · More Info

    Menlo Park Home · More Info

  • 6 years ago

    I would suggest keeping the light grey siding, painting the garage door and entry doors white, and installing a white metal roof to brighten the entire scene. You then could keep the black shutters for contrast or paint them white to match the new roof.

  • 6 years ago

    This is your 3rd post to really old posts