Software
Houzz Logo Print
caridadmurphy

Frustration

10 years ago
I have bought this set of side chairs in Etsy and a Duncan Phyfe style drop leaf table. Nothing make sense in my living dining area. Can somebody help me?

Comments (36)

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Your selections are a bit schizophrenic. You have very nice contemporary selections in the living room part, and then you have veered off into Shabby Chic style in the dining room. I think you should have stuck with the living room area. It's quite nice except for the powder blue pillows.

    Keep the mirror, center it on the chandelier and selected a different table and chairs. You can sell your table on Craigslist. It should sell right away.

    Caridad Murphy thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 10 years ago
    To be honest I think all you need is a pretty creme colored table cloth with a runner going down the middle. The runner could be the same blue as the chairs. Perhaps even a pretty rug under the table and chairs.
    Caridad Murphy thanked User
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Mr. Zazzles table cloth and runner......? Why not throw a sheet over the dining area and call it finished.

    Caridad Murphy thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 10 years ago
    Thank you very much for your suggestion. I think i will go for now with the one suggested by a beautiful person which kindly advise me on placing rugs underneath both of the living and dining room areas to complement as well as to ground the places. Apologies for posting the question three times. It was done by mistake.
    With regards to the chairs and table, i love them so much. I will do my best to make them work with the rest of the furnitures. Again, i appreciated very much your time and your experience.
  • 10 years ago
    I think your rooms are beautiful. A nice rug for the living room will tie in all the colors. And if you like your decor, it's all that matters.
    Caridad Murphy thanked raineycarole
  • 10 years ago
    I have always thought that decorators are like magicians ( apologies for my English, it is not my first language) that make the unthinkable to make sense. That is why i decided to post my project in this place. Somebody will complete my poor ideas with his/her beautiful talent and make it work.
  • 10 years ago

    I also love the dining area, in fact the entire room is very nice. Agree that a rug under table would finish the space, but be selective. It needs to be the perfect compliment.

    Caridad Murphy thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago
    @BeverlyFLADeziner how about you be an adult and not be rude? Perhaps if you don't agree you can suggest something else.
    Caridad Murphy thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    I'm not a designer but I want to encourage you. I love an eclectic space! Here are some pictures of dining rooms where at first glance the tables and chairs don't "go together" and yet it's fabulous looking! Perhaps by studying why these work you can apply the same principals to help yours work.
    Caridad Murphy thanked Valerie Gorman
  • 10 years ago

    Eclectic still requires an overall design vision. Which requires someone who can think globally. Higgledypiggledy choices do not equate to eclectic.

    Develop you plan before buying one single thing more. And ruthlessly edit out existing choices that don't meet your vision. That is one thing that separates successful from unsuccessful designs. Unsuccessful holds on to things that don't work.

    If you can't do that, hire a Pro to do it for you.

    Caridad Murphy thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    I don't know about that Sophie, I have seen some pretty ugly designs from some of the Pros on here. So I guess design vision is 99% in the eye of the person suggesting it. I understand that there are basis design flaws that most people can fix, but to just say get rid of it is not always the answer for the HO. And believe it or not most of us can live with a few design faux paus in our living space without getting the vapors.

    Caridad Murphy thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago

    People who use medical terminology without a clue what the word means are setting their ideas up for disrespect. This is 2016, get with it!

    Caridad Murphy thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    I thought that would get a few responses. LOL

    Caridad Murphy thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    "The vapors" was a catch-all name for many different "female conditions" during the Victorian Era. These included hysteria, mania, clinical depression, fainting, mood swings, and what we refer to now as PMS and bipolar disorder.

    Calm down Puremichigan60

    Caridad Murphy thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago
    I think puremichigan is referring to the first comment, which called the poster's layout "schizophrenic".
    Caridad Murphy thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    susan 2494. I think the previous poster was referring to the term schizophrenic in another comment.
    Caridad Murphy thanked treeclimber5
  • 10 years ago
    Lol mr. zazzles. we thought the same thing
  • 10 years ago

    I'm taking note, but I'm still uncertain whether we're talking about the schizophrenic comment, or the vapors comment.

    Caridad Murphy thanked tgb1
  • 10 years ago
    Or the furniture comment, come on people, focus!!
    Caridad Murphy thanked Katbv Vero
  • 10 years ago

    Being with you guys feels so much like being with my family. You gotta love how the conversations flow.

    Caridad Murphy thanked JustDoIt
  • 10 years ago
    Here are some things you may want to consider to pull your rooms together
    - Layer pattern & texture to both rooms to enhance your solid fabrics and smooth upholstery. Maybe add pattern curtains and pillows that compliment, link the two rooms and add interest.
    - You have beautiful tropical greenery outside. Bring some in to add life to the space.
    - It looks like you have a beach theme started. The mirror even reminds me of a sand dollar. Perhaps play on this subtly with your tablescape. I would bring in some texture and natural elements.
    - you may want to add two upholstered chairs to your dining and maybe use 2 of the dining chairs in the living space
    - while I personally love your chandelier, I think you may want to consider changing it out. It has a formal feeling and the pure white is not enhanced by the creamy whites in the space.
    I certainly am not a professional, but I know that when you buy what you love, you can find a way to make it all work together. Have fun!
    Caridad Murphy thanked kbush5511
  • 10 years ago

    Just playing with the items. You an freely let me know your thoughts. Very constructive ones, by the way.

  • 10 years ago

    I am amazed by the input and good feedback. I am a cuban lady that came to the States 16 years ago and is living the american dream. Thank you very much.

  • 10 years ago
    add a sideboard, same color as the chairs; center the current mirror over the sideboard; move the blue color to the living space with pillows and a blanket throw on the ottaman. groveraxle pictures are spot on.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Ask 5designers how to do a room & you will get 5 answers. It's a matter of interpretation, not perfection. Imperfection is perfection. And learning & teaching comes in stages.
    Caridad Murphy thanked OasisDesign&Remodeling
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Here is my 2 cents:) The rug between the opposing sofas seems too bland and too similar to the sofas. Here is an idea of the color:

    http://www.wayfair.com/Natural-Taupe-and-Teal-Area-Rug-ANDO1444-ANDO1444.html

    Make sure you pick the size large enough to go under the sofas



    Caridad Murphy thanked Tatiana Almieri Designs LLC
  • 10 years ago
    I loved the rug. I already placed the order.
  • 10 years ago
    I think this rug is exactly what I need in the living room. Thank you.
  • 10 years ago

    What rug did you order?

  • 10 years ago
    I like the pattern rugs. They make a big difference. You may want to consider the next size up for the rug in the living area. The branches on the pedestal table work better than the tray.
    The height is a better proportion.
    Caridad Murphy thanked kbush5511
  • 10 years ago
    This rug
  • 10 years ago
    7'10"X10'6"
  • 10 years ago
    That rug is beautiful!
    Caridad Murphy thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Yes, very nice, I have recommended it to several people who bought it and loved it. Great price, too.

    Caridad Murphy thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago
    I love your table and chairs. I think it's an "artsy" approach. I also love the big art piece in your living room. I think I would change the light blue pillows to something darker and none of them matching. Add area rugs. I think an interesting contemporary art pottery would look great on the table. I personally like the juxtaposition of old/new, etc. I think it makes a home "yours" and a gutsier approach to decorating. I'm an artist, not a decorator BTW.
Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths