Software
Houzz Logo Print
kristine_sapp

Kids room in vacation house NEED HELP

10 years ago

Hi there! I'm onto another room in our vacation home that our decorator didn't finish... I don't like the bedding in here so I just ordered gray chevron bedding, and will add several colorful pillows like Navy, Lime, Blues... but now I'm thinking I could work with this bedding and add somethings to make it look better... Any advice would be appreciated :)


Comments (34)

  • 10 years ago

    white curtains on windows

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks Betty... would you keep the existing bedding??


  • 10 years ago

    yes I would

  • 10 years ago

    I kind of like the bedding. it's kid friendly. I'd change the draperies/curtains. Too dark imo.

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks ladies. So if i change the curtains... what else could I do to make this room pop a bit more?? Photographing well is really important and I feel this is blah... ;)

  • 10 years ago
    I'm not sure what the rest of the room looks like. Do you have enough space to create a fun nook with chairs in an interesting color? You can always add artwork but your bedding is really busy so you will have to be careful. Definitely lighten the drapes, it will look terrific. Good luck!
  • 10 years ago

    I like the bedding, too. How about adding some bean bag chairs, or even a hanging chair, to give the kids a place to relax?

    Teal Navajo Small Classic Bean Bag · More Info

    Teal Small Classic Bean Bag · More Info

    LA SIESTA JOKI Hanging Nest for Kids, Cherry, Kids · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    Can you post photos of the rest of the room? Is there any artwork on the walls? The room needs texture and something on the walls.
  • 10 years ago

    This is the only other photo i have. The other wall, not pictured has a vinyl tree that I think I'm going to remove. There is no other art or décor. I feel like she threw left over "crap" in this room.


  • 10 years ago
    Sure looks Iike leftovers. Where are the closet doors? I'd get a white dresser and move it out of the closet. Paint the inside of the closet white. Add art work with white frames and you're good to go.
  • 10 years ago

    Here is the link to all of the photos in the house. It really is a great home. We've had to go in and tweak nearly everything but it's coming together. WE should be totally done by the end of next week. We're having all new photos taken as well. http://www.ourdisneyhouse.com/photos.html

  • 10 years ago

    so this will be a rental? (based on your comment that photographing well is important) and the room needs to appeal to a range of ages, both sexes? the bedding is fine i think but you might want a less decidedly boy look with the green pairing, if thats the case. go yellow.

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    What about one of these boards instead of the three white mirrors??

  • 10 years ago

    This is the bedding I was going to get

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Cancel the chevron - not as youthful looking and soon will be dated. Add a small and a medium TOGO chair. Paint the chest in the closet white to match the bed. If you can get a valance to match the bedding, that will be more child friendly than curtains. Otherwise just do a white valance with a wide border of grosgrain ribbon to match the wall color. Make sure the blinds are cordless; I had a renter cut the cords off of a shade because of kids occupying the room. We don't allow kids under 6 in our upper bunks and have signage posted on the beds that say so.

    Ligne Roset Mini Togo · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Hello @Deco :)!

  • 10 years ago

    Ok, here's what I'm thinking.. bamboo shades or white valance (what is grosgrain??) , surf board sort of angled instead of the white mirrors, leave the bedding and get bean bag or togo chairs :).

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Hi, Kristine! Sounds like you're almost finished! Grosgrain ribbon is the heavy one with ridges in it.

    Grosgrain Ribbon, Emerald · More Info

    Grosgrain Ribbon · More Info

    Kristine Sapp thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 10 years ago

    Deco, love the idea of a valance or Roman blinds with coordinating grosgrain ribbon. Even if you keep the dresser in the closet I'd consider a small area for hanging clothes to one side of the dresser. I didn't see it but think based upon the description I'd also take down the tree decal. A fun chair or two and artwork and voila! Nice house pics, love the map bedroom!


    Kristine Sapp thanked eaw 513
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you all.... I cancelled the chevron bedding.... But i honestly despise the bedding in there now... nothing goes with it. I have 10 days to finish this room before our photographer comes to take new photos. I arrive Saturday and will work my butt off to finish it. What if I did this, with tons of colorful pillows???


  • 10 years ago

    Trying to stay gender neutral but appealing and fun :) and as Deco knows I suck at decorating lol

  • 10 years ago
    That grey bedspread doesn't jive with a kids room. I like what's there. Or get another bedspread that's a juvenile print.
  • 10 years ago

    What about Polka Dots?

  • 10 years ago

    I L-O-V-E polka dots! Check out the dots (on sale right now) here: http://www.pbteen.com/shop/specialty-shops/girls-bedrooms/beadboard-dottie-room/? You can get a multitude of colors that would be suitable for either boys or girls. They also have cute pillows too.

  • 10 years ago

    Here is another idea for you: http://www.pbteen.com/shop/specialty-shops/girls-bedrooms/ultimate-island-paisely-bedroom/? Although the paisley is a bit feminine check out the tie dyed cuff sheet sets and the tassel duvet cover and sham. I'm loving the turtle pillow too (if you check the site they have whale and starfish pillows too)

    Tassle duvet

    .


    Kristine Sapp thanked eaw 513
  • 10 years ago
    The thing I look for most in a vacation rental is if it looks clean. And beat up stuff can look dirty even if it isn't, so for that reason I'd go simple and white on the main furniture pieces - you can keep accents like the drawer fronts, but only if they are easy to touch up or replace, because in between renters you want to be able to whip through and make everything look fresh and clean again, especially in a room that is likely to get more heavy use like a kid's room.

    That said, I might go more neutral on the bedding than what you currently have. A vacation rental might also be looked at by people who don't have young kids, and a really young room won't appeal as much to kids much past the age of ten. I think something like the polka dots is more youthful and fun without being childish, so would have a broader appeal?

    But really, don't forget wear and tear. Whatever pattern you get, look for something it is easy to match to in sheets and extra pillowcases (white is great because it can be bleached for stains) so if something is damaged you don't necessarily have to buy a whole new set of everything for the room. (Assuming linens are included with the rental, anyway.)
  • 10 years ago
    I think actually that turtle pillow and the other styles might be quite nice with coordinating solid bedding and be fun and beachy.
  • 10 years ago

    LIZ! Thank you! Just seeing the white curtains in the room has calmed my anxiety a bit :)!!!! I'll look through your artwork now! What is "emoji" artwork :)??

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Hi you know how people sell those emoji smile or frown pillows well I took emojis and added my abstracts, gold or my ocean splashes..It's my version of emojis. I thought it was happy art. I use emojis on my phone and just turned them into artwork. :). Kids use emojis a bit so I thought it might be good for a child's room. I've also had people use them in gallery wall collections.

  • 10 years ago

    This duvet is on sale at PB Teen.

    The curtains would also work with your existing duvets.

  • 10 years ago

    And, the big "reveal.' What did you decide to do with this lovely space?