Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gale_w

I need advice about pruning young lavender plants

gale_w
8 years ago

I read a site that said not to prune until the 2nd year it's in the ground. I planted small plants (no idea how old they were) last summer. Would this spring be the first year or the second? I'm not sure if I should prune yet. I had lavender plants years ago and had no idea about all the care and they got very leggy and woody. These new plants are getting long stems already. I am hoping to avoid that with these new plants. I'm in zone 5B. thanks

Gale

ps-also, is it true that I can take non-flower prunings and dry them for sachets? I thought it had to be the flowers.

Comments (6)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

Prune after they flower with a light trim. If you do it now you'll lose any flowers. The whole of the plant is scented so it's up to you which bits you dry and keep.but the unopened flower buds are the usual thing.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

I am not sure why they said to wait - there is no demand of the plant that would call for that.

We have a great many commercial lavender farms in the area and their practice is the one I advise as well. Start pruning your lavender at the end of its first summer. Unpruned lavenders do have a tendency to grow leggy or extend rapidly and if not addressed while still very young, these will develop a very bare woody interior and begin to splay or flop open. Not a nice look :-(

So prune at the end of the flowering season (late summer/early fall) beginning that first year, removing the old flower spikes and just an inch or so of foliage. In spring as new growth emerges, you can prune back a bit tighter but never back into bare wood. As the plant matures, this early spring pruning becomes even more important as it keeps the plant compact and dense and encourages additional flowering tips. And prevents the flopping or splaying.

So trim back lightly at the end of the season and a bit harder at the beginning of the season as new growth becomes evident.

• gale_w
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks to both of you. I will go ahead and do a light pruning since I didn't last year but be sure not to cut into any woody stems.

• HU-788820734
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I need yall's advice as well. I have a young lavender that I planted in the beginning of this summer. I'm not sure what type of lavender it is. It's healthy and growing well, but it's leggy now. Every post I've seen about pruning young lavender states to prune after flowering or it could prevent flowering next year, but here's the thing... mine has never flowered, not even a bud. So what do i do? Prune, or leave it alone?

I also have the same issue with my young rosemary as well.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

How and where are they planted? Both need very well drained soil in as much sun as possible but the soil needs to be lean - not amended or enriched with any compost of fertilizers. That can make the plant leggy by encouraging unnecessary growth. And reducing its ability to flower well.

FWIW, you can prune back lavender whenever you want. It blooms on growth produced the current season so pruning now has NO effect on next year's flowering. And rosemary blooms in late winter or early spring.....it is past its common bloom cycle.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    4 years ago

HU numbers. My statement above about pruning after flowering was written in April and referred to losing the current years flowers, not next years. After flowering they need tidying up anyway. Otherwise you're left with a mass of dried up flower stalks sticking up out of the bush.