Software
Houzz Logo Print
jihaes

Remodel Idea

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago


This is 80's house I'd like to buy *exteriror here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/can-this-house-look-nice-dsvw-vd~3869849?n=2) but it's too dark and I'm wondering if this could look a bit more modern and bright.

The entrance has this wood fireplace but I dont like the upper color. How would it look more modern? What kind of paint color would help? I realize the carpet does make it look dark. Maybe beige colored carpet?

Same with kitchen. It's a really nice looking kitchen but could this look more ivory colored kitchen? If I got it refaced or re painted, would it look nice with the existing

flooring?

And I dont know if I like the 3 sliding doors. I feel like if I got rid of 1 or 2 doors by stove, I could put more cabinets and counter space. Thoughts?

Colors I like is something like this...

Glazed Kitchen with Contrasting Island · More Info

Golf Club Renovation · More Info

And the family room.. it feels so empty and i maybe new paint color.

Would it be able to look like this but with built in white shelving?

Bookshelf like this with tv over the fireplace.

Refined Lakehome · More Info

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (14)

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for your thought. It is a costly renovation. I would be budgeting about 100k to make it look nicer. about 60k exterior with windows and rest inside) The house is listed a lot cheaper (and in my budget) than other homes of this size. That's why i am considering. This home has a 2 basement apartment with separate walk out and is rented out so home isnt attracting a lot of buyers. And eventually I would like to knock out the basement apartments and open it up was what I had in mind.


  • 10 years ago

    A fresh coat of paint will do wonders on the interior. I would keep the patio doors, remove or cover the stone, and hang curtains. Ex.

    jihaes thanked er612
  • 10 years ago

    In my area, $100K is not enough to replace the old roof, replace the windows, and cure the design problems. The design problems are architectural, not cosmetic. If you do want to make an offer, get estimates for the roof and windows first from good companies.

    jihaes thanked apple_pie_order
  • 10 years ago

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    You'd need another 100k to fix the interior. The detailing is terrible and very heavy handed. Will adding another $200k to the house make you the most expensive home on the block? That is bad place to be.

  • 10 years ago

    Hi BeverlyFLADeziner, this isnt the most expensive house in the culdesac area. The 2 houses next door are gated and next door was sold oround 890k 3 years ago. This home is a lot cheaper than that. What is the detail you are referring to that is terrible. Is it the moldings? Kitchen layout, backsplash or color or flooring? Thanks.

  • 10 years ago

    Have you ever been involved in such an extensive remodel? You do know when they begin with the surface details, issues with a house this old will emerge and bump up the reno budget! What about the house are you in love with that makes you sure it is the right home for you?

  • 10 years ago

    Do you mean you want a modern style? If so, buy a modern house, not this one. If you are happy with a traditional or transitional style(search photos on Houzz), then go ahead.

    Colours of the year 2016 are Pantone rose quartz and Pantone serenity blue, if you want up to date. Paint companies chose off white. However it's best to choose major furniture and furnishings first and then choose paint to suit them.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I must admit, I don't understand the negative feedback. I thought white paint alone did wonders…even on the exterior. I couldn't remove all of the shutters but I removed some and painted the window boxes white. Looks drastically better with little effort.

  • 10 years ago

    Mediterranean, middle eastern, eastern European.

  • 10 years ago

    I reckon, just decorate it in either Mediterranean or traditional middle eastern . Problem solved.

  • 10 years ago

    I wasnt really planning on changing any structure, mainly the front i thought i could remove those red panels and flower pots and possibly the outdated rocks and give it a new paint. I will be getting a orange concrete roofing estimate. The kitchen does look nicer with the white paint and drapes. I would like to eventually reface or repaint the kitchen cabinets (depending on budget) to white or off creme color. and match the backsplash) just wasnt sure how it would look with flooring. The floor does need to be restained (it's really worn out) so maybe to a lighter color wood stain? The carpeting around the whole house is dark. I wouldnt replace it right away but in few years to maybe beige color. Wouldnt that look nicer?

    As for visiting room, maybe replacing the stones by fireplace and (either cover up the rocks or replace with a white wooden pillar) and if possible knock out the part sticking out above the mantel

    and for family room, repaint and add a white shelving unit around the fireplace for entertainment set and books?

    Anyhouse this size and with what i want would be $200k more than this house and is not in the best location. This house is in a really nice location close to everything I need. it's just not the prettiest but thought maybe it could look pretty... but your thought are great. I'll be having a contractor come estimating this weekend so hopefully i can make up my mind.

    Thanks for all our feedbacks!

  • 10 years ago

    If you're restraining the floor, I would consider continuing the wood floor throughout and removing the stair runner.

    The stone on the exterior doesn't bother me once the red accents are removed. You may want to keep the planters and repaint for now. The space between the middle windows might look empty without it.

    In the front room, I would definitely repaint the walls and paint the entry doors white.