Software
Houzz Logo Print
katiegaydon

Basement ideas. Do I carpet, do I laminate or tile?

10 years ago

We have a basement flooring and stairs that needs replacement. We have access to the outside deck through the french doors, we have an adjoining bedroom, second bedroom area, and staircase. I have to small kids that run around the basement covered in water, sand and sometimes their shoes are on ;~. I'd love some advice on what to replace our carpet with. Do I tile a small space (how much space) by the doors, and get more carpet? What types are good for wear? Do I laminate the basement, carpet tile? I am also slightly concerned about noise travelling around this small cottage style house. My preferences are for lighter coloured, low maintenance flooring, and easy to clean. I'd love some ideas, or any pictures showing a set up similar to mine, or specific products. I'm also wide open to hearing thoughts on products, patterns, and wear & tear concerns.

Comments (19)

  • 10 years ago

    Because at some time basements will ALWAYS flood, we went with asphalt tiles. Sure enough after 24 years, last summer, 6" of water in the basement. Tiles did fine. No trouble whatsoever.

    katiegaydon thanked Kathi Steele
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    My suggestion would be floating vinyl plank , we have a walkout with 2 big dogs in and out of a dog run in all kinds of weather and grand kids in and out of the pool , it cleand with a damp mop and i love it. We put dri-core under ours for a bit of warmth and also a little easier on the knees than right on concrete

    katiegaydon thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    We had carpet, replaced it with carpet and 6 months later, frozen pipes. We put down LVP (Luxury Vinyl Plank) and have been happy. They make two types, one that has an adhesive edge and one that locks together like other laminates. We went with the lock together style. There are plenty of options for colors etc. We are happy with ours and it is 100% waterproof.

    katiegaydon thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • 10 years ago

    Kathi Steele what are asphalt tiles? Kevin does it creak or crack down on the basement when it goes really cold? Our basement can get freezing.... Just wondering how that glue might hold up? Thanks everyone!

  • 10 years ago

    We are having Coretec installed in the basement. It's supposed to do ok if there is ever water in the basement. We were thinking tile at the beginning, but they are so cold and with the kids running around, I think it's a bit safer if one falls on the floor we chose than on tile.

    katiegaydon thanked printesa
  • 10 years ago

    What color is the wood??

  • 10 years ago

    VCT...vinyl composition tiles. Rather cheap, but area rugs take care of that. Here is Armstrong's website. About $.60 per square foot for the tile and it has to be glued down.

    http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/products/vct

    LVP is a great option also. Supposed to be completely waterproof. More expensive, tho, I think about $3-4 per square foot.

    Based on Kevin's previous posts, especially with Echo, he has great ideas!!!

    katiegaydon thanked Kathi Steele
  • 10 years ago

    Kevin, would you put it upstairs? Is it nice enough? Does it wear well with dogs?

  • 10 years ago

    I like carpet in a basement. Everything else seems cold and unwelcoming to me. We just replaced our carpet and upgraded from polyester to nylon. The carpet guy advised us that nylon was the gold standard in durability and stain resistance. Good luck.

    katiegaydon thanked kjoy1
  • 10 years ago
    Checks board laminate flooring... Hard to kill... Can replace individual tiles if anything happens.... But doubt it will get hurt. I replaced 1965 laminate in my rental three years ago- and the floor looks great!
    katiegaydon thanked miacometlady
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Our dog isn't on it that often but she hasn't scratched it yet and I don't think she will. Just looking at ours it's hard to tell the difference between it and the real hardwood upstairs. On the concrete floor it does have a slightly hollow sound but no creaking or cracking noises. Lying on concrete it is cooler than carpet but we have an area rug in the family room portion so we don't really notice it. Ours is a floating floor, with no glue. I was worried about the glue not holding so that is one reason we went with the locking style. This is the color we went with.

    They have a bunch of different colors. One I really liked was an espresso one that had a hand scraped look. It was probably too dark for the basement plus you can see our basement floor from the upstairs foyer with hardwood so we decided that matching the upstairs floor was probably the smartest thing to do.
    This is the espresso one.

    All that being said I'm kind of "old school" so I would probably still go with hardwood upstairs where moisture is not a concern. Money wise ours was around $3.29 a sq. ft. so it wasn't like we were saving money by using it, just that we ended up with a floor that is waterproof.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Lots of very good suggestions here except for advising you to carpet the floor Just not advisable with access to outside and kids and for resale. The Armstrong tile has been used successfully in both commercial and residential installations for decades and is the easiest, least expensive and most bang you can get for your buck flooring.

    Here is another option. Fee Lay Porcelain Tiles. No Grout needed.

    https://www.builddirect.com/Porcelain-Tile/-Sierra-Brown/ProductDisplay_6933_P1_10109112.aspx?source=igodigital

    katiegaydon thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Stained polished concrete, Never worry about a flood again, very durable.

    katiegaydon thanked Above & Beyond Finishes
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Given your desired qualities – durable, low maintenance, easy to clean and
    light colored – we recommend you look into luxury vinyl flooring, also known as
    resilient flooring. Luxury vinyl flooring is naturally water resistant and some
    styles, like Floorté, are waterproof, blocking water at the seams.
    Floorté is designed to be installed utilizing the floating method. We’ve shared
    below a few room scenes to inspire you. Your kids will be able to enjoy their
    playtime with water, sand and shoes. Let us know if you have any specific questions
    about this flooring suggestion.

    Living Room · More Info


    Living Room · More Info

    katiegaydon thanked Shaw Floors
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you everyone for these posts. I think I'm rethinking carpet, and thinking vinyl flooring, or something similar with area rugs to tone down noise. As much as polished concrete looks great, we have two down stairs bedrooms and that won't work. :( Thanks again for the comments! What a great discussion!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Ceramic tile would also be a good choice. They retain their quality even if exposed to large amounts of water frequently and it's very easy to keep them clean. They are also available in great designs.

  • 10 years ago

    What are we talking about here??

  • 10 years ago

    Flooring for the basement.