Software
Houzz Logo Print
arasey

Mismatched wood and cabinets in open kitchen/living area - help!

10 years ago

I recently bought a beautiful newer house last month. I just received the appraisal back, and I am now noticing how stark the contrast of the wood and cabinets is in my open living/kitchen area. I have cherry cabinets (not sure what type or how to tell), black granite countertops flecked with a rust color, and black appliances. A little darker than I would have designed myself, but it looks nice if you are just looking at the kitchen fixtures together. However, I am realizing that the floor is more of a yellowy wood, which I am disliking more and more. To top it off, the wood on the railing is a medium brown colored wood. I am looking at all of this now and wondering how and if furniture can pull all of this together. Does anyone have any insight on how I can marry everything together without spending a fortune? I wouldn't want to spend more than $1000-$1500, as a lot of our cash went to a down payment and closing costs. I was thinking maybe whitewash the floors to take out the yellow? Not sure if that is doable, practical, or how much it would be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (19)

  • 10 years ago

    I think it'd be easier to paint the cabinets than whitewash the floors.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    There is no such thing as white washing a wood floor. It's called sanding and restaining or painting a floor and you'll need a price to do it from a local flooring guy.

  • 10 years ago
    Congratulation on your new home. I'd be inclined to paint the cabinets, look at Annie Sloan paints. Or else change backsplash, it makes the whole kitchen seem dark
  • 10 years ago
    I'd be more inclined to paint the cabinets white.
  • 10 years ago
    Some lighter backsplashes, good lighting and I'd add the long silver handles on the cabinets to give a more modern feel
  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago
    Do not change the floor! Keep the lowers the way they are and paint the uppers. They are larger and heavier looking. A neutral color soft white or a gray? Add under cabinet lighting if you don't have already.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    That builder needs to fire their kitchen designer...

    I don't think you should paint brand new cherry cabinets. But you might consider painting the walls - something less brown to compete with the other browns. I'd go with a slate blue (Wild Blue Yonder by Benjamin Moore) or a sage green (Jojoba by Benjamin Moore). Your floors appear to be oak. The backsplash isn't great, but it's livable if your budget is tight. That would be the second thing I'd change. And you might consider a rug or runner to draw attention away from the competing cherry & oak. Good luck!


  • 10 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I like the idea of changing the backsplash to a lighter color, and maybe staining the floors a bit darker. Blenheimnewzealand I really like that first pic with the cream sort of backsplash.
  • 10 years ago
    Wow, please do not paint those cherry cabinets!
    Having the floor sanded and restrained seems to be the real solution if you do not like the juxtaposition, but that will cost more than you want to spend. Similarly, replacing black counter with something that ties in the floor color is not in your budget. But a new, lighter backsplash is, and I really like the pictures that were posted.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    The floor looks like natural oak which almost goes with anything. If the original polyurethane was oil based, it may have yellowed over time. Otherwise, it is a floor found in homes from 100 years ago till today. The only people I know who don't like it are the Property Brothers. It is easier for them to rip out and put in new flooring than to patch when they tear down walls. (Tommy on This Old House usually patches.) Put down some area rugs and consider refinishing if it bothers you.

    The quarter-round really should be white, not stained around the trim work - but not a big deal.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Re staining would be a great option but it does come at a prices. Most certainly not 1000-1500 for a good job. I would stay in the house for minimum 6 months but preferably a year before you do any changes. You will get a better feel for the house and you will also have a change to save some money.

  • 10 years ago

    I honestly think that repainting the walls will solve most of the problem here. Many people have cherry cabinets and oak floors, but in your house the paint color is making the floor look more yellow (and thus more Odd Man Out) than it needs to... Something less pink/brown and more neutral/maybe yellow (antique white, anyone?) would help a lot.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you, I appreciate your responses! Maybe in the future I will look into re-staining. For now, it looks like the backsplash and the paint are what I will change. Maybe a cream backsplash and walls will tie everything together a bit more.

  • 10 years ago

    Here, I made one gray just by desaturating the color you have -- already better!

    Here's one where I added back a little yellow, toward cream.

    Neither one leaves you screaming about the floors, anyway.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    The quarter round should be white agree that will soften the floor to cabinets
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I agree - change the back splash and paint the walls - you can also add some decorative hardware to add a little bling to your cabinetry. Keep in mind, too, that cherry cabinetry tends to get darker with light exposure. Even cherry cabinets that are stained...it's usually a transition you don't notice much, but when it comes to paint/back splash, it's something to keep in mind when looking at colors.
    Good luck to you!

  • 10 years ago

    acm, that last one looks so much better already! Thank you!! Once we change everything I will post an after picture on this thread.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH