Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shari13_gw

Are certain colors "tacky"?

shari13
7 years ago

I mean if I painted my LR pink most people would think "eww". . . but I wondered do certain colors read as "tacky" or "classy"?

Comments (10)

• sunshine home
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Any colour can work anywhere, but those bright or unusual colours are best left as accents. But, at the end its all up to you, your person preference trumps mine. Personally I think there are tons of colours that appear tacky on walls, but might look amazing as accent pieces. Pink to me is tacky depending on its shade, there is a house in my neighbourhood who painted their garage this weird blue- the ugliest blue possible. and I think its the tackiest and ugliest thing ever, but thats my own opinion and clearly the owners like it, so at the end it is up to you. But overall, I think its the shade of the colour that makes it read as tacky, a neon green would look very tacky to me, but a subtle green/beige type of colour may look much nicer.

• Liz H
    7 years ago
    Inside your home? Absolutely not. Outside? Well, yeah... Not all neighbors will necessarily be charmed by your choices, and they may indeed question your taste. In my neighborhood, though, we live and let live. The houses on this street are painted in every shade and hue, from black to white and absolutely everything in between. I don't like some of the colors, but I don't think there's anything tacky about them.
    shari13 thanked Liz H
  • shari13
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well that is actually a good point - I had not considered exterior colors as I live in a place covered by an HOA so I can pick boring color 1,2 or 3.

• User
    7 years ago

First my living room is pink. :) No it seriously is. I love it, it's a family tradition now. Colors are made by nature and a matter of personal taste. You have to decide for yourself what you are comfortable with having in or on your own home. I know for a certainty that my pink living room isn't for everyone, just as the next persons gray one isn't for me. Neither are tacky. As for exterior that is also a matter of taste, unless you live in a HOA then it's a matter of doing as you are told. I live in Savannah where things are bright and color filled. I love that, pink , purple , green and blue houses all on the same street not just in the historic district. Those that aren't into that live in the modern neighborhoods that are more subdued. So no I say that there isn't a tacky color or even a way in which to use color in a tacky manner. If it makes you smile then do it. Just like it did when my Grandma Rose painted her parlor Rose Pink the first time. Do it to make you smile. I do it to remember her which makes me smile.

• User
    7 years ago

Single colors are not innately tacky. It's when they are combined poorly with other colors and objects that a human can perceive them as tacky. Or not. Some cultures combine some colors and design elements that Westerners perceive as over the top to tacky. They find it beautiful.

• emmarene9
    7 years ago

Sophie had that picture saved for just such an occasion, I'm sure.

• PRO
    Patti Egan Rivera
    7 years ago

In my experience with model homes color works great for living areas if you stay within the colors that have muted base notes. In the fan deck it is much trickier when you go into the "brights" section. Just an opinion

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

i agree a color isnt tacky; its just that out of fashion colors tend to be used by people who are out of fashion on other aspects of their decor as well. when we see mauve walls and dusty blue valances along with crookedly hanging vertical blinds and chicken decor.... it gives the mauve a bad reputation.

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

Pick a colour that YOU like AND can live with. Don't follow "trends" or try to decorate with pink or x colour just because some magazine or designer tells you to.

If you like pink and want a pink living room, then go for it. But understand that light affects how all colours are perceived by the human eye. If you aren't sure about the intensity of a certain colour or shade or how it will look in your space, ask for advice from a good paint store or colour design professional.

Research pink colour schemes from credible design or home decorating magazine websites and see how colours are used.

But keep in mind that many men do not like pink or traditionally feminine or pastel colours. You may have to compromise on where, and how much is used. It has to be a comfortable and enjoyable space for all family members.

I personally love hot pink with crisp white and black. I don't want it in the livingroom though. Not a chance. I have it in my craft room/library. The room is white with touches of those as accents. It's tasteful and not over-done.

Before you go painting an entire room, try a pillow on your couch in the intended colour. Pink can be too frilly/little-girlish, but psychologically, it can make people feel sleepy and tired--esp. lighter shades!

Good luck!