Software
Houzz Logo Print
chase522

Any window Covering Suggestions?

10 years ago
Looking for ideas for window coverings for our new great room/dining area. Will be open most of the time and want to keep as much light as possible in the room.

Our current house has white Hunter Douglas faux wood shades. They are nice, but I'm open to so something that might bring more character. We have Tried to keep a more modern feel (floors are acacia, so lots of pattern there).

What's stylish these days?

Comments (21)

  • 10 years ago
    Are you looking more casual or more traditional? I love light semitransparent woven reed blinds but if you want dressier add side panels. You can go in so many directions.
  • 10 years ago
    Sag Harbor · More Info
  • 10 years ago
  • 10 years ago

    Pretty house!! Do you need window coverings? Many people do without these days especially when you have beautiful windows/molding.


  • 10 years ago
    I would say we are a casual style, here is the furniture that will be in the great room.

    I think we do need somethimg, there will be a house about 25' away. Luckily it will be the end of their garage, but it is in a new development with small yards.
  • 10 years ago
    Automated silhouette blinds are great if you haven't considered them. They have slats like blinds but are sheer when fully open.
  • 10 years ago
    I think you need some panels in dining room along with blinds to look finished. In the living room there doesn't seem to be enough room beside fireplace so I think roman shades that coordinate would look nice.
  • 10 years ago

    Clay Aragon I love the silhouette blinds, I wanted them in my current house when they first came out. Unfortunately they still are so crazy expensive. I also worry about how easy they are to clean. Since we are still in a construction neighborhood we will have dirt flying around for about another year.


    Katherine Sharp - I love the idea of panels only in the dining room. The model home did them in the great room and it was really pretty, but it blocked half the window. I don't want my windows blocked. I need light here in the Pacific NW :-) I like the woven reed blinds as well but the hubby is pretty against those.

    theresepaz - we do need blinds. It's a new development and houses are close. Hubby is thrilled about that, because it means a small yard as we head towards retirement in a few years. But it also can mean less privacy in the house. Luckily they build pretty well so that not many windows look into others, but still.


  • PRO
    10 years ago

    These big vane plantation shutters look very contemporary and allow in a lot of light

  • 10 years ago

    I love silhouettes, but they are really expensive. I had woven wood roman shades in my previous home. They were perfect for allowing light and providing texture.

  • 10 years ago

    I would only comment that I am in the same stage with our new house and similar window treatment decisions. We want light and view in the day and shades are cute but useless when they are up - and they block all view when down. So we went with 2.5" blinds and are going with stationary fabric panels on ornate mini rods (not all the way across the top of the window).

    Whatever you do, here is a big trend...hang em high.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    You have an AMAZING opportunity to create two different spaces here, with just window decor. In your dining room

    perhaps with ravishing Roman shades, in dynamic patterns.

    Either in a contemporary pattern or

    or what about stylish stripes?

    Orrrrr a bold paisley.

    Then in the neighboring space....is that your living room/family room?

    You could always continue with the design theme with the Romans and layer drapery...

    And there is always wonderful, woven woods!

  • 10 years ago
    Gordon's Window Decor, yes, the space with the fireplace is the Great room. It opens to the kitchen but has a arch way that gives definition. Thank you for the ideas.

    I love the idea of patterns and color (as you can tell by the bright furniture), then I freak court about making it look to busy. But I may need to step out of my comfort zone and try something fun. I really don't want to have my house look cookie cutter. I know the right blinds will help with that.

    Here are a couple pictures where the flooring shows.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    You have a STUNNING space. If you are timid with color, try small splashes or POPS of color. Truly even, though grey is considered a neutral, it can be BOLD. See?

    Even a soft neutral, can be sassy. Just look how that small orange pillow, adds pizzazz to this space.

    This wall color might be too far out of your comfy zone...but just look at that charming chair, and pillows? SO FUN!

  • 10 years ago

    Gordon's Wall Decor, I'm not so much timid with color, I mostly worry about pulling it all together. Attached are a couple photos from our current house (which is much bigger) and you can see the two pieces of artwork. We have a few of these throughout the house. They are my husbands favorite (he loves tropical) so it gives me a launching point for many colors for sure as a couple of these will be in the main living space.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    You have strong pieces in black/dark brown with neutral countertop/carpet/flooring. You're already succeeding in continuity throughout your home.

  • 10 years ago
    @wendyc i agree silhouettes are really expensive. I did 80 percent of my windows in my house with automation and had to cash out some savings
  • 10 years ago
    We are now moved in, furniture in place. Any additional thoughts seeing it all together?
  • 10 years ago
    Woven woods with over valance in Great room and same treatment with drapes instead in dining room. You could use a red or black trim on drapes and valance if you choose.
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/1512-dolphin-terrace-beach-style-bedroom-los-angeles-phvw-vp~235528