Software
Houzz Logo Print
rugsbyzhaleh

Which rug is best suited for this room?

13 years ago
This home is in the middle of a tropical paradise. It was designed for entertainment with tons of natural light, high ceilings, long wooden beams, natural stone and lots of translucent elements - truly inviting. The space is neutral and we are trying to find a large size modern rug that will tie in together a seating area that precedes the outdoor dining. Which direction to go? A soft gradient tobacco design with touches of silk to enhance the wood tones? A neutral geometric that will provide continuity to the main side wall? A fresh pearly white rug with marble pattern with vibrant black accents to make the space more luscious? Give us your opinion on these or a new direction to consider…please!

Comments (28)

  • 13 years ago
    choosing between the four I would say number 1
  • 13 years ago
    2 or 4
  • 13 years ago
    1
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    HI -- Is the first rug really your favorite ? Because you showed two photos of that and only one fo the rest. Actually any of them are good but the first is warmer and adds a nice tone to the room . The second one is very interesting and has a lot of movement ,very artsy looking . The third one is the least interesting . And the fourth is artsy also and has a nice blue tone to it but seems a little flat looking to me. So my favorites are 1 and then 2. Added Note : Repost this as a Poll and see what the vote turns out to be .
  • 13 years ago
    3 and 4 don't seem to add much to the room. 1 adds some color and 2 adds some depth. I always prefer to add color as it seems too many people with the best of intentions end up with dull, colorless rooms (just look at all the design dilemmas on Houzz where their major problem is everything is beige and brown).
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I love #4. Another question might be do you want to end up with warmer colors for accessories, textures,colors or cooler. #1 will give you a warmer palette, #4 will be cooler. #4 is chicer more "pretty", with soft colors shiny white metals and stones, very calm. #1 you can use warmer woods in the room, textures like basket weaves, etc. So it depends, as always, on the overall look and feel that you want. Make that decision and stick to it, and all decisions will come easier. Good luck to you!
  • 13 years ago
    I would choose 1. The colors are soothing.
  • 13 years ago
    Just actually read your description (very nicely done BTW). Based on that I would go with 1 or a new direction (the others don't do the home justice (at least what I can see of it and based on your description)). 1 looks more Mojave Desert than tropical to me. Maybe I'm being too literal, but when I think of tropical paradise I think of lush colors.
  • 13 years ago
    4
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    As is typically me I like the one that no one else does. # 3 is cool it has a MCM vibe which I really like.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    4 is best with those columns and door trim. I'm assuming that color is all over this space. This rug helps tie in with that. Rug one only has a tinge of it at one end of the rug and its too yellow orange in my opinion. I'd like to see more choices personally but 4 is by far the best so far.
  • 13 years ago
    I like 1 as it provides a bit of contrast and brings out the wood in the blinds. However, I might just have to comed to this Paradise to be certain. Lucky You!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The first one of course! It brings texture but not over the top and the color is natural and fits your space great! That would be my choice.
  • 13 years ago
    3
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    2 and 3 are too cold for me. I love 4 and could live with 3. But 4 is on trend right now and i find it intriguing and versatile
  • 13 years ago
    I would pick 4.
  • 13 years ago
    I like 1. the colors tie in to all the wood nicely and it reminds me of bamboo or sea grass, so it does seem tropical without being too literal.
  • 13 years ago
    3 it's more soothing color and work better with your furniture
  • 13 years ago
    I like 1 the best. You can add anything with that and it will look beautiful. If down the road you want to add color, 1 will go with anything
  • 13 years ago
    I see that your sofas are still brand new - are you thinking of adding some scatter cushions? Just wondering what colours you're thinking of there, as this will inform the rug colour (or the other way around). I agree that "tropical paradise" conjures up lush shades and that number 1 is more "desert" ...
    Many tropical homes have simple jute / coir rugs. Others have an organic / leaf design, and another trick is to introduce touches of green to tie in with the foliage:

    Plantation Sunroom · More Info

    Dalyn Rugs Indoor/Outdoor Terrace Rug, Lime · More Info

    Kanae Lot 1 · More Info

    Maui Tropical Kitchen · More Info

    Trigg-Smith Architects - Project - An Island Estate · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    From the four: 4
  • 13 years ago
    The order of my likes is 1, 3, 2, 4. #1 is most inviting and makes you want to stop there a while.
  • 13 years ago
    4 seems to work best
  • 11 years ago

    1.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    2 and 4

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    The key word in your question is that the room has been designed for entertainment. That means a lot of traffic on a light rug. The quality and material of each rug would be my first consideration to make before deciding on which one to purchase

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    1 and 4 are our favorites!