Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mushcreek

It's June, 2016- How is your build progressing?

mushcreek
7 years ago

Ahhh- June! Summer is upon us. Things really picked up in May, and June can only be better. My heart goes out to those of you being afflicted by incessant rain- we could use some of that here. For those of you already under way, please keep the pics coming. For those just starting, start recording the process now. Even if it's just a picture of your 'dirt', we love to see progress.

Comments (174)

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

They put some windows in ours, but there evidently was a mix-up and they ordered some wrong ones.. heh

We also ordered the vents for above the front windows and a matching one for above the garage. The dormer windows are actually larger than the openings depicted. They have to resize the openings.

• rmverb
    7 years ago

Framing is almost done. Just working on some of the details.

• PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    7 years ago

So far Russ and rmverb, looking great! Framing and trussing were my favorite! @rmverb what is the green on the outside? Insulation wrap? If is what thickness?

Ken

• Stanley Ridge
    7 years ago

Meeting with builder tomorrow morning to discuss some concerns regarding land slope around the basement. But, for now we are enjoying the view

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

Ken/Mountain MT Homes - I'll jump in for rmverb on the sheeting since we used it also - that's Zip sheeting, green is 7/16", red is 1/2", manufactured by Huber

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

Is it a lot more expensive than regular house wrap?

• PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    7 years ago

Thanks DLM, that's just more insulation and noise reduction the your home.

Ken

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

ILoveRed it's not a house wrap like Tyvek although the outside coating acts as an air and water barrier. It's a structural sheeting, the seams between boards get taped then a different type of tape (stretchy) is used in the window/door framing. My DH has been in construction but this is our first build and he is quite impressed with this product.

Here's the red on our house and the green on our son's tiny house.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I think that's what your other son needs too. A tiny house! Then the kids could visit one another! ;)

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Seriously though, what is the difference between the red and the green?

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

As far as I know the only difference is thickness and price.

• rmverb
    7 years ago

The green zip is 7/16" and the red is 1/2" or 5/8".

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

Went back out today because I heard they were going to add the roof... but there was some rain so figured it would be a waste of time. Nothing else to do, wife and kids went out of town for a week.. heh.. so me and the dog went out.

That is not the color it will be when it is done.. lol.. that is the base color. Also, the dormer windows will be larger or, actually, taller.. as they mis-calculated the window sizes we ordered (we needed larger windows for egress):

I know, not a ton of progress, but gotta show someone since no-one is home.. heh.. and I always like taking pictures of the kitchen :P

Russ

• arialvetica
    7 years ago

This popped up in my pinterest feed today -- modern dogtrot!

https://www.concepthome.com/house-plans/modern-house-ch286-house-plan/39/

• omelet
    7 years ago

The weather has been wonderful, our builder and his team have been able to make much progress on our small lake house.

Big back porch, small courtesy front porch. We will have a lot of weathersealing to keep up with! We have a sprayer to make that easier. In our house now we have brick and concrete porches, and we really miss the wood. The back porch photo shows the screened in area, and is taken from the grilling porch which is where the stairs will be.

Our builder knows we love natural wood. One of his clients was changing her home to white cabinets and he asked if we wanted this complete vanity unit (base, top and faucets). We were happy to take it, a nice cost savings. It fits the space very well and will allows room for a bench/hamper under the window to the left.

Next week should be exciting on the inside, more cabinetry, trim and paint.

This is such a wonderful, positive and educational thread. Thanks for keeping it up every month.

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

Is it wrong that all I thought of when I saw "Omelet" was I am hungry and my kitchen is not ready yet?

lol

I love that back porch, btw..

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Way cool how you wound up with a perfectly wonderful vanity like that. Good save.

• whaas_5a
    7 years ago

I went out for a Denver omelet last night. Looking forward to getting a kitchen as well!

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

omelet your builder is a rare bird - how nice of him to work that out for you!

Russ that looks like a beautiful setting! I must have missed it - what part of the country are you in?

We've run into our first product/installation hiccup. The hip roof over our front porch is the only part to be standing seam. It's about 80% done and we're not happy with the 'bubbles' for lack of a better term. As he was installing it, the roofer evven pointed them out to us but said they'll 'relax' as the panels get heated by the sun and settle in. Well, they've been baking in the sun for days and if it's any better, it's not by much. You don't see it from a distance but boy you sure do close up. I'm not sure if this is a product issue or an install issue but we'll be taking this on tomorrow.

• mushcreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It does take a while for a metal roof to settle in. I can hear mine 'talking' during big temperature swings. Sometimes mine looks pretty flat; other times, more bubbled. I don't care, as it fits my vintage look LOL!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

DLM, I've been wanting standing seam too, but being 1 1/2 x the cost of cement, I couldn't justify it. Is that just the nature of the beast? It honestly doesn't look too bad to me.

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

DLM - We are just outside of Austin, TX in a town called Cedar Creek.

• Lisa G
    7 years ago

Tomorrow is our final walk through with our builder where we 'paint the house' in blue tape marking any flaws or other issues. We are supposed to close on Thursday...

They still have not fixed our main floor laminate. :( We are in panic mode now. The floor issues are hearing a crinkling sound from the moisture barrier underneath and also a few small areas flex much more than other areas. Apparently they tried to fix it from underneath somehow but it didn't help at all. The builder (technically the supervisor I guess) and the flooring installer are meeting at our house tomorrow to discuss if anything should be done -- we weren't invited to attend but we will be meeting them there because we are concerned they will try to pass it off as "normal for a floating floor" of which it isn't. We're very angry they are only now looking into this because we mentioned it over a month ago, probably close to 2 months ago as soon as the floor was installed. I've never walked across a laminate floor before that sounded like a crumpled tarp was under it...no way is that acceptable or normal.

• wjkramer
    7 years ago

Week 12. Insulation has begun. Last step before drywall. Stone delivered too.

New Home · More Info

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Lisa, let us know how it goes tomorrow and good luck.

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

So, went by the house again this morning to get some pictures of the views, since a few folks asked.. heh. This is why we bought the lot.

So, first off, the lot is like 1.91 acres. Behind us is a 3.5 acre lot that the lady to the left of us owns, so nothing going to be built on it except a fish pond ;)

To the right is a 3 acre tract that the folks who own it will probably build on in the next two years.

All the lots around us have been owned for about 10-15 years. We just got lucky and the guy that had this lot never did anything with it.

So..

This is from the front living room entrance, and that is the kitchen in the back.

This is the view out the kitchen window, little foggy, but Austin is like 28 miles away and on a clear day you can see the skyline:

Another angle:

This is the master bedroom. Each bedroom has one of these windows There is also a door to the left and a window to the right:

The view from the long window:

The view from the right window:

And the house itself:

I am used to the cookie cutter homes that have the framing delivered already assembled. They have a unique way of framing when it is custom:

Gotta figure out how to do the future covered deck with this:

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

Sorry, had run taking pictures today... heh

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

Ok Russ - I'll see your framing detail and raise ya ;-) Nothing like some complex angles and load calculations to keep your math brain sharp!

And on another note, we have windows s-l-o-w-l-y going in but that fits with our everything goes slowly theme so far. These windows are so beautiful I just wanna lick'em!!

And I love my views <3

• PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    7 years ago

That's going to be a job sheet rocking for sure as I went through all angles and vaulted ceilings.. I and a sheetrock lift did it all. Great windows and the views you got are great!

Ken

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

DLM - oh, your house has a lot more fancy moves than ours does, that is for sure.. lol. I had to stay on budget or my wife would make me live outside.. heh.

I also love all the light you have coming thru those windows!

• rmverb
    7 years ago

Framing the front porch.

• mojomom
    7 years ago

DLM, your windows look great! What window manufacturer/series are you using?

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

Thank you mojomom. We used Hurd because we used them on our last house for a large addition and liked them a lot. Those were double hung and they outlasted the Marvin replacement windows we used in the original part of the house in terms of needing repairs or broken seals. It was not an easy decision because Hurd has had a lot of bad press since we last installed them but seeing them in the showroom alleviated those fears. Hurd is now part of Sierra Pacific. Our windows are the aluminum clad, all casements this time. Our son has the H-3 High Tech (more budget friendly) on his tiny house (see up thread for pictures of his windows) and we were blown away by how well made they are. He has a mix of casement, double hung, awning, french door and a fixed octagon which now that I think about it is pretty interesting considering it's a tiny house!

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

Yea, I be all jellin about those windows ;)

R

• rmverb
    7 years ago

Pretty much done with framing. Just need to build the rear covered porch.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Looking good reverb

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

Very nice indeed. No progress on mine yesterday due to rain, so living vicariously through you today.. lol

Good lord, reverb.. that is a big house.. lol. Just looked at the porch picture for scale.. heh

R

• PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    7 years ago

Very cool looking home you have there rmverb! Like the structure and the look of your all the roofing features! What type of siding you going to use?

Ken

• rmverb
    7 years ago

We're going to do Nichiha Shakes and lap siding in a charcoal grey from Carolina Colortones. The front porch will get stain on the beams.

• PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    7 years ago

That will look great! Are the Nichiha shackes going on the gables? I like the architecture of your home. Looking great so far!!

Ken

• charintx (z 8b, central Texas)
    7 years ago

We are finally making good headway and still hoping for a mid October move in. Everyone's builds are looking great. I like seeing everyone's progress.

Roof should be sheeted and wrapped tomorrow. So hopefully next week will get the shingles on and windows in. So far I'm impressed with the framing job and with our build supervisor. We have walked it everyday and only found one mistake that was corrected. I had my eye on a crooked stud to see if it was going to be replaced and yup within 2 days it was done.

• rmverb
    7 years ago

Yes the shakes are going on the gables

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

It's okay, I had the shakes once after dr.. oh wait.. you meant construction.. my bad.

lol

Beautimus!

@charintx - it's funny.. all the houses I have built.. er had built, the roof was shingled before the walls had anything on them. That threw me off because now all the houses have covered walls before a roof.. heh. Nice looking house there!

• sail_away
    7 years ago

Lisa G, If I remember correctly, you are supposed to close on your house today. Hope everything goes well for you. I'll also be interested to hear how/if you resolved the issues with the flooring.

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

Last update for the month.....

Windows are in! Door to the screen porch is in! Permanent electric meter is in! Here's the hubster putting in the dormer windows today.

Doors to porch

Brick is being staged - can't wait to see it started.

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

@DLM2000 That really is a pretty color match with the shingles and the window frame colors. I love the "look" of that house.

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

Thanks Russ - windows are dark anodized bronze, metal roof is the same color and roof shingles are moire black. Brick looks like it's been painted multiple times and is wearing off - at least it does to me!

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

After it all dries, the mortar, and it is all in, the whole thing will come together nicely. I look forward to the picture with all the brick in!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Looking really good DLM. How exciting.

Ok my last post. City sent back to my builder a few minor things (because they have to justify their salaries). Hoping we have our permits pretty soon. Tomorrow we sign all the loan papers and officially will be purchasing the land.

• rmverb
    7 years ago

Most of the windows went in today.