Software
Houzz Logo Print
cmjross

Long term storage

10 years ago
Begrudgingly, we have decided to downsize from our large home, probably as early as next year. For the items I know I will not be getting rid of, such as my good plates, my grandmother's silver, etc., what would be the best way to pack these items ahead of time so that I'm not packing them in a rush once our monstrous house sells? Keep in mind that I will inevitably need to use certain things for holidays. Right now, everything is easily accessible, and not even close to being organized or even protected (I'm terrible, I know); it's just stowed away. I've heard that newspaper isn't good because the newsprint can transfer if it's too damp. Is bubble wrap okay, or go for something else? Should I invest in silica packs? Is one brand of plastic container better than another? Should I put something between plates? Can't I just stay in my giant house forever and ever? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Comments (5)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Public Storage and many other places sell exactly what you're looking for. Search for something like "dish packing kit". Here's a picture of the ones I use from Public Storage. They're essentially thin foam envelopes. It's enough for 6 place settings, and sells for $9.99. I keep my excess dishes in the cardboard boxes that these sets fit in (1.5 cubic feet).

    cmjross thanked orangecamera
  • 10 years ago

    I have had what you might call a fair bit of experience with moving and also with long-term storage. For our recent move, I ordered proper moving boxes and paper on-line from a removal company, and a big roll of bubble-paper, also on line, from one of the mega office supply chains. Hardware stores might also have these supplies.

    Wrap everything in the clean packing paper - do NOT use newspaper because the ink will rub off on everything (you can use it to stuff corners of the boxes, but it shouldn't touch your actual things). For valuable and very fragile things, I wrapped in packing paper and then bubble wrap, but most ordinary things can be packed just in paper. Two sheets of paper, put a plate on it, fold over the paper, add another plate, fold again, to cover both plates - that sort of thing. I also used spare tea towels to provide extra padding in some of the boxes.

    I have never used silica packs. Unless your boxes actually sit out in the rain, they paper should keep the contents dry enough.

    Label all the boxes - contents and the room they should go in.


    Start with the stuff you know you won't need before you move. That will keep you going for a while, I guarantee. And while you're packing, think about culling the excess - I had a garage sale, donated a lot to thrift shops, gave things to neighbours, and tossed quite a bit as well. Amazing how much you can accumulate that you don't really need or want to be bothered packing! And then think about what you really need to keep aside for the holidays - you might be surprised at how much you don't actually need!


    Good luck.

    cmjross thanked jmm1837
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Officeworks sells boxes and bubble wrap in different sizes. Online might be cheaper.

    newspaper is fine if you pop a freezer bag on the item first. Freezer B s come in three different sizes.

    packing breakables in soft items saves the planet from more plastic. Just be careful when you unpack your linen and cushions.

    Dont label the contents on valuables boxes.

    cmjross thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Tribble makes a good point about using soft items for wrap - I used tea towels and hand towels for a lot of things, and my TV got wrapped in a couple of blankets before going into a picture box.

    cmjross thanked jmm1837
  • 10 years ago

    Everyone has given great advice. I will add that I picked up packing supplies (boxes, paper, tape) at a local U-Haul - many times (I've helped friends pack, too, I actually like to do this!). The other items I bought were corrugated boxes from the Container Store for vintage breakable items: if you don't live near one, you can order them online from different retailers. Follow Jmm1837's advice to cull, donate, sell or discard the items you don't want to pack/unpack: it was actually my mantra when packing up the household to paint our interior walls (I have - had- a lot of "stuff")

    cmjross thanked robin701