Software
Houzz Logo Print
goflyrm

What s missing in this boy girl / toddler room share

10 years ago
I painted the girls side wall lavender because she asked for it. But the boy side he has yellow....the only accent wall here is the lavender....should I paint his wall a light blue?
Also what color curtains should I use or Roman shade...
This is a paw patrol bedding..

I made the shields above their beds....the lavender is just so pretty!!

Comments (76)

  • 10 years ago
    Cute idea to give room dual personality. Love the new bed placement, however the wall of dressers not so much. Can you turn the boys bed so that it lines up,where the dressers are now? Then place the short dresser at the foot of the girls bed and the tall dresser at the head of the boys bed? Agree with others a boys wall blue and a nice stripe or check pattern that incorporates all colors. Also, shields are way to high
  • 10 years ago
    Might suggest you put the tall dresser on the wall at foot of girls bed and lower dresser on wall at head of boys dresser to leave the space feeling open when entering the room.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Moving furniture, these can be moved around - rinse them off. Flor.com has at least one round shaped....

    1850's Barn Renovation, Newfields, NH · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    cool idea...with the rug.. but so many different views here... I thought I would get more of a consistent opinion..
  • 10 years ago

    Use it like food, chew small amounts, passionately, and enough times that you don't choke... {?!}

  • 10 years ago
    that's different....lol

    just need more ideas that I agree with..
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    ... and such is life ... what points can you tell us and that will help us 'agree with you', and I'm seriously asking that you tell what's working and why and not... etc.

  • 10 years ago
    I don't understand why people don't agree with the yellow AKA my neutral. also that means I would have to change 3 wall colors to Gray and one blue witches sounds cohesive but now it just feels dreary.
  • 10 years ago

    The wall if it has L to R: bed, dresser/ window, dresser. Place a blackout shade above it. Your boy can enjoy his shield. Your daughter can place something small-ish over the high dresser? Her shield over her bed?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Oh, the paint color. It's your 'given' so ignore what doesn't apply....I thought of recycled carpet tiles cause they could tie in both paint colors, etc... they're sold sometimes in "color batch" ... I also looked for comfy shag rugs on houzz.

  • 10 years ago
    yes it's cool idea..but think that I will go ahead and paint his wall blue and maybe a Roman shade that's in the Chevron white and gray color? I just really don't feel like painting over again
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Then don't - have they said anything about it? a word. Well don't! It's ok. Maybe an indistinct chevron... light in pattern?

    I had seen a yellow chevron rug myself!

    Chevron Roman Shade, 26 x 64" Panel Navy · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    but I do like the idea of having the blue color on the left side where the boys wall is so it would be kind of coordinating to the purple like a blue purplish hue
  • 10 years ago

    As to grey and white - is trim and furniture cream?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Your call. I wouldn't because of 2 different bedding, adding in shades, etc...

    while we're on it, would you leave the 4th wall yellow then?

  • 10 years ago
    no it's all white, trim and furniture .
  • 10 years ago

    goflyrm, I agree and don't think you need to paint any walls other than his light blue.

  • 10 years ago
    Elle ..I know.
    but wishful thinking made me believe everyone would have the same opinion.. in the near future I plan to get rid of the changing table and or place an end table there in white... to get rid of the book because it only really has three drawers in it and a side table give me enough storage for what I need in this room.
  • 10 years ago
    if I were to change any wall colors it would only be the blue one to the left of my son's bed the other two walls will still remain yellow which in my eyes I feel it's a neutral. it just feels very cheery and happy to see that yellow. but wondering if that Chevron grey and white Roman shade will go well with the rest of the colors?
  • 10 years ago

    I didn't mind the original arrangement, and was glad to see the actual lavender color in your second set of photos (it looked a strange mauve in the original). My only suggestion would be to make his side a nice apple green rather than blue -- it picks up a minor color from his bedding, like the lilac does on her side, and I think that the green/yellow/lilac combination would be very sunny and cheerful.

    Here are a couple of crazy curtain ideas...


    African Queens Window Curtains, 40"x82", Unlined · More Info

    DiaNoche Unlined Window Curtains by Jackie Phillips Neon Double Abstract · More Info

    Catherine Holcombe "Stained Glass Watercolor Peacock" Purple Green Decorative Sh · More Info

    Jacaranda Window Curtains, 80"x82", Unlined · More Info



    Sunflowers Window Curtains, 80"x61", Unlined · More Info


    Birch Trees Window Curtains, 80"x52", Unlined · More Info


    I kinda think those peacocks, in particular, could be totally magical!

  • 10 years ago
    ACM.. the peacock is beautiful..but need to keep the drapes gender neutral.i was thinking about the green as well...fresh willow from Behr..
  • 10 years ago
    I kind of like the last curtain.. where did you find these?
  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago
    er612 can you try this Chevron shade on a mock up.. very cool how you can do that!!
  • 10 years ago

    Actually, I think painting the left wall blue might work best:

  • 10 years ago

    All the ones I posted were from the Houzz store, so you can follow the "more info" link under any one to find it. I like the birch trees too -- keep trying to figure out how to get my daughter to agree to replace her shower curtain, heh.

  • 10 years ago
    how do you do that what software?? so awesome!!.. how about the grey one I posted?
  • 10 years ago

    Great choice with the chevron but I'd also paint the left wall blue.

  • 10 years ago

    Did you notice that I lowered the shields?

  • 10 years ago
    ok I think I have made my decision!!! Thank you all!!! blue wall to the left and Chevron Roman shades!!! stay tuned I will post pics soon if finished product!! if it still doesn't look right I might go with the first suggestion with the yellow walls being a lighter shade of grey. But we'll cross that road when we get there
  • 10 years ago
    yes awesome!! he still didn't tell me what software you're using LOL
  • 10 years ago

    goflyrm, yes, I would keep it easy by just painting the boys' wall light blue and just adding simple flat panel valances in the current colors to visually balance the greater width of the dresser.

  • 10 years ago
    I think I'm going crazy here but now I think I'm going to change the lavender color back to Yellow and doing this color doing this color shade. I'm all over the place LOL
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    To paint the walls I use Sherwin Williams Color Visualizer: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/#/active

    The rest is just copy and paste in Apple Preview.

  • 10 years ago
    oh apple, I just have my Android.lol
  • 10 years ago
    I didn't want to lower the shields because I wanted it to match the height of the Roman shade also because they can reach it and pull it down LOL
  • 10 years ago

    That's ok to be 'all over the place' cause you might've just started re-thinking.... maybe it'll turn out better to re-do....

  • 10 years ago
    yes. I got comments from Friends it will look like a box of crayons...with different colors walls..
  • 10 years ago
    Simple suggestion. A child's room should have shelves and baskets for toys and books. Displayed around the room. A place for them to sit. This will make the child's personality come out and be what a child's room should be....a reflection of their interests and fantasies.
  • 10 years ago
    Kathleen..they have a playroom for that.. :) no clutter here.
  • 10 years ago
    What I would suggest is painting the lower half of the room one color. Perhaps light ecru. Then paint 2 walls blue for your son, and lavender for your daughter. A strip of molding to separate the colors painted the same as the lower color. I found a nice watercolor fabric for a valance with both colors, but any fabric will work that picks up the colors. Simple 1" white vinyl mini blinds for the Windows. Some color block prints for the art work, and you have a great kids room. Accented by those beautiful medallions.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I really don't think you need to start re-painting the whole room. You'll be redecorating it again before you know it. I think it will be cute with a blue wall and, to keep it simple with window treatment color and pattern, you could just go with a white Roman shade with a couple vertical yellow stripes.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I love the drape suggestions and would recommend going cordless whichever route you choose. Safety experts recommend using only cordless window coverings in homes with children. Here are some interior design and safety tips from the Window Covering Safety Council:http://windowcoverings.org/shymee/

    Best,
    Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, Inc.

  • 10 years ago
    thanks I know this!
  • 10 years ago

    sorry to jump in so late, but the only real issue in this room is the wall color. and since the kids will only be onto this theme for so long, i think no to three colored walls. and to the lavender wall too. piant the lavender wall back to yellow, or paint all the walls a pale sky blue or off white. buy her this for the lavender and the girly ness

    http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/3c4g-lavender-fantasy-bed-canopy/4070829?cm_mmc=google--productads--BigGirls%3AToys_Games%3AOther-_-1149230rkg_id%3Dh-8cc586112dae30b4a14e98ed561676c3_t-1468011632&adpos=1o1&creative=48040471313&device=c&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjwnv27BRCmuZqMg_Ddmt0BEiQAgeY1l4pftrbBQxoLROXzYrmoyOtMIM3lNRT_hrvVkQ45MmMaAo4b8P8HAQ

  • 10 years ago
    down by the river...good suggestions..but I don't like having anything hanging and fabric by her bed....

    I decided to keeping it as is...
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    You are very thoughtful. How about painting the room in a soft blue grey and then buying those mosquito nets that hang from the ceiling on a hook. My kids used to love them. Your could dye them each to suite the boy/girl bedding. If they kids want a sense of privacy they call pull them around the beds. A simple neutral drape on a rod is usually the answer. (no cords to mess with)

  • 10 years ago
    neutral drape like ,white?
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    White or cream would be great.