Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
readbetter

Tiny, tiny cottage

Susan Stern
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I live in an 1,100 sqare foot cottage and all my downstairs rooms are 9'x9'. I am a minimalist and try to keep it simple but true to the house's design. Is there anything I should change in my living room? I added an electric fireplace for effect which is cozy in the winter. I was thinking of adding recessed lighting and eliminating the end tables and lamps. Should I relace the bird above the fireplace with art? Any ideas?

Comments (399)

• olldroo
    10 years ago
    Hi Readbetter, been having a little beach holiday from my renovations and just catching up. Glad you like the McAussie Pelican. His big brother, who is about 3'6" high is still in the shop, was only looking at him today and thinking how lonely he looks, but I think the pair is a bit overkill.

Love your new tables, was just in another discussion on the difference a few black accents can make, I had never really noticed it before and your tables are a classic example.

Hope you had a great shop.
  • Susan Stern
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Olidroo, I took the tiny square glass table and put it on the end of sofa and purchased the matching Tanner round coffee table and nesting table for other side of sofa from pottery barn. The coffee table is pretty big but necessary for company. We just pull dining room chairs over and it's cozy and works. I'm having a white shell mirror made for fireplace so ill take pics when all done. I also put back TV room rug in LR. Dining room has darling furniture so the black from tables ties it together I think. It was so nice hearing from you and BTW, all the McDogs and McBirds are great!
  • Susan Stern
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This iPad makes awful assumptions when I type. I meant that dining furniture is dark
  • Susan Stern
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is the living room - all finished - except for the new windows. Notice I moved the rug from the back room and that is another story. Thanks for all your help. I'm done! I hope you all like it as much as I do. It feels good!
  • User
    10 years ago
    McSpectacular!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    McCozy
  • Susan Stern
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    McThanks!
  • edithsmom
    10 years ago
    What a terrific room...love each piece( that stands out on its own and yet gives the cohesive look). The rug is perfect there too.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    It's great!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    McWonderful!!! The mirror is Mcfabulous, just love those candlesticks so perfect with your lamp, the rug makes a McHuge difference, just hope it isn't too much trouble with the McHounds.

Please do not change a thing.
  • PRO
    Catherine Belan
    10 years ago
    Dear Readbetter, I have to ask, why did you add a rug to the room?

Than you for sharing your darling McMansion!
    I love, love, love where the first pelican ended up.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    The McRound table makes a huge difference too, just as the rug does. Well done. It's perfect and looks like a wonderful cozy room. Very welcoming.
  • Susan Stern
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Tersjustbeachy at Etsy is the wonderful artist who custom made the mirror for me. I had the candles and holders in the basement, thought the McRound table made more sense for large crowds who can pull up chairs from the dining room only a few feet away. The rug ..... well, I bought it for the ongoing drama in the little TV room (another thread) and when I purchased two paintings, it started looking very busy in that tiny room. Since this room is open to the dining room it seemed less "blue" and you know how I feel about color. I fence the LR off when I'm out so McHounds stay off it and they are usually on top of me wherever I am sitting anyway. Tell the truth, I'm not sure if that rug is going to stay because it really is a lot of blue. We'll see how it looks after a few days. I might just replace it with another "sand" colored wool and jute rug that is now in the TV room. it was less color and, for me, well you know - color makes me nervous. McPelican and McPillows seem like a lot of color for me. Promise I won't make any more major changes to that room and MCTHANKS. We've really had a fun time doing this room. I'm on to the next one.

Are you guys in a different time zone? Or, are you early birds like me?
  • wyndyacre
    10 years ago
    Dropped back in on this thread just in time to see the finished room. It looks fabulous! Love the shell mirror on the fireplace! The rug, cushions and pelican art blues are all perfect together. The whole room looks comfortable, attractive and really "pulled together"!
  • Susan Stern
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I've added a poll for either the blue or sand colored rugs. I know most designers love color - but I have trouble with it. I'm having a real problem dealing with all that blue. Last decision. I really love, love, love this room whether blue or sand rug. Thanks for all your interest and help.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Well I'm on a totally different time zone, Friday is nearly over for me. The photos may not give true colours but what I liked about the rug was that it echoes the colours from McPelican exactly, adds a sharpness, yet doesn't dominate. I'd be interested to see the other rug, but I just don't think it will do anything.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I think the new rug looks great in the living room, keep the sand colored one in the tv room, the new artwork (has it arrived already?) will be enough color, along with new throw pillows. Living room looks wonderful!!!
    Hi Roo :)
  • Lynne Forrestal
    10 years ago
    Before and After Photos
  • Lynne Forrestal
    10 years ago
    A wonderful room to start with made only better! I like the blue rug, it ties the color throughout the room, and anchors the furniture., fantastic job!
  • robinson1823
    10 years ago
    I love the striped rug! It creates a "dynamic triangle" ( the essence of good composition) between the pelican and hearth. Without the deep tone of the rug they would become two dark, unrelated rectangles
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    You know that rug makes your room look bigger and it seems to integrate the fireplace more too.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I'm in Europe :-)
  • Susan Stern
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Houzzers! Watch for a pic coming I hope next week when my néw LR window is finished. Also, I turned the rug the other way and think it looks so much better - less blue and more under sofa. Makes room look bigger. Can't wait to show you. Be on the lookout.
  • PRO
    Rustica Hardware
    10 years ago
    Hi readbetter you mentioned that you may want a barn door to close off your bedroom. It's a great idea to save space. I've included a link to our site to get some ideas, hope this helps. http://rusticahardware.com/barn-door-hardware/
  • robinson1823
    10 years ago
    readbetter, you're on Long island, yes? I have a store on main street in Patchogue, ny husband built barn doors on our party room. They are the panels w/ large diamonds in the back ground. You can stop by anytime to see them ( they're huge, LOL)
  • robinson1823
    10 years ago
    BTW it's a cupcake store, I don't want to mention the name b/c I think there are rules against that on this board
    Susan Stern thanked robinson1823
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    @robinson: your store looks lovely :-)
  • Susan Stern
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is room with new window and notice I turned the rug the other way and really love it now! Thanks, Houzzers.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Looks very welcoming readbetter, very bright and clean and welcoming :)
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Your room is so inspirational, I find myself drawn back to it again and again. I do hope you can keep the rug, I like it either way, but it really warms the room and brings everything together. I can feel the love in that room, I'm so glad you are happy with it.
  • Susan Stern
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks oldroo. You were my first helper. I turned the rug so it's not soooo blue and just love it. Can't wait to sit there with fireplace on. Very cozy. Appreciate all your help and everyone else.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    I think being first was purely a matter of luck, but the ride has been wonderful and so much fun. I wish you many long happy and contented hours in front of the fireplace, perfect timing with your winter about to start.
  • Susan Stern
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is the tree in the living room. A bit crowded but worth it for a few weeks. I have been collecting hand-painted ornaments from a shop up in Maine since I bought the house six years ago. All sorts of birds and wildlife. I have family members names and dates on each. Also some picture frames of family ancestors so it is a meaningful tree.

Hi Margo, despite a McDuff tummy problem that was remedied with a powerful cleaner, the rug has survived!

Happy holidays everyone!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Happy Holidays, Readbetter, you have a beautiful space to celebrate.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Charming home. Love all the white. Mirror is too high & but does not go with look. Get another one rectangle 36" high in reclaimed wood. Bird on FP is nice but to big. Never take things up to moulding should always have a border. of 7-10" I would put bird on wall right next to fireplace hang very low 2 feet or so from floor. Recessed lighting is always good for resell value. But not needed. I like. The glow lamps give off.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Sorry didn't read to end. See you have done a wonderful job. Love the pelican art, and new rug and mirror. Perfect. Now enjoy.
  • PRO
    Clear Lighting and Electrical Design
    10 years ago
    Tiny House = Big Life! No house payments, low utility costs and easier to clean. Your home is so cozzy!! Keep going in the direction you are going in. Recessed lighting is always a good addition.
  • Susan Stern
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Clear lighting, it's funny you mentioned the recessed lighting. In the spring I'm having the last three windows replaced and LR, DR painted and I've talked to my contractor about them already. Thanks.
  • PRO
    Old New House
    10 years ago
    Wow - Superb. Everything looks absolutely amazing, our only recommendation since the furniture and the wall art is fairly large, you may benefit from having a small scatter rug to claim the floor and make the space feel larger.

Amazing for grey and blue
    http://oldnewhouse.com/collections/rugs/products/fine-gold-vintage-rug-1121
    http://oldnewhouse.com/collections/rugs/products/neutral-color-caucasian-rug-1272

If you wanted to bring in some sand color
    http://oldnewhouse.com/collections/rugs/products/fine-tabriz-area-rug-1238

Or terra cotta/red
    http://oldnewhouse.com/collections/rugs/products/antique-kerman-area-rug-1281
    http://oldnewhouse.com/collections/rugs/products/finely-knotted-antique-persian-rug-1294
  • grobby
    10 years ago
    Beautiful home. I didn't read all the posts. I don't have all week, LOL. Was interested in your post because of the " Big Bird" over the FP. Love it and glad to see the after pictures showing it not over fireplace. It was much too big there and deserves a beautiful spot that it can own. Cozy, yet elegant room.
    Susan Stern thanked grobby
  • drcarolbrown13
    10 years ago
    Love your living room - I vote for KEEPING THE PELICAN!!! Maybe just add a few candles. :)
  • PRO
    Catherine Belan
    10 years ago
    Happy McChristmas!
  • Susan Stern
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    McThanks. We had so much McFun with that room and it has turned out great for my lifestyle. If you noticed the latest pictures, I put a small TV on mantle because I turned the little back TV room into a guest room which is also coming out lovely. It is on another post along with the upstairs bedroom. Kitchen got a gut job last summer and my little McWorld is almost done. Happy McChristmas to you all!
  • PRO
    Catherine Belan
    10 years ago
    Yes, I've enjoyed your other reno projects.....while I'm here, is the picket fence wood or vinyl? If vinyl, who is manufacturer? Thanks!
  • Susan Stern
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Vinyl and don't know who manufactured it. I hate it though. The pickets pull right up and out of the frame and it is flimsy plastic looking and feeling. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking vinyl is "maintenance free" because I spent an hour every day for weeks this summer scrubbing off mildew with chlorox wipes - one picket at a time. The top post covers have fallen off with snow shoveling and kids playing ball across the street. I need to keep it because of my dogs but one day I will get rid of it. It was the worse use of money I ever had. Wow, that was negative! But true.
  • mtnlover
    10 years ago
    The bird is awesome but too big for the spot. Find another larger wall for it. In a hall or a bath?
  • shannonrmills
    8 years ago

I love what you did in that space! We are in a 1200 ft. cottage, too, and having a hard time figuring out where to put furniture. We have one main room with the front entrance and 3 other openings. It feels like the living space is a wide hallway with only 3 small corners to put seating. Would you share advice? I just posted our Design Dilemma. Thank you!

• Susan Stern
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Let me try to find your post. I am no e pert but I have found out some things in the seven years I've lived in my small cottGe.
  • ltakimoto
    7 years ago

I like it overall. I would exchange the coffee table for a storage ottoman that has a top that reverses to a tray, for use if you really need a table.

I might also consider a smaller/less bulky couch and loveseat or recliner if you ever get tired of the white set (I do like it, though). I just know I or my cats would get the white dirty. :)