Software
Houzz Logo Print
readbetter

Here's the whole front room

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
For those of you who wanted to see more, here it is. I know the buffet is big and dark and the table is big but I needed a place for my good china and enough seating for my immediate family. Also, please disregard the metal fencing by the front door - it keeps the dogs out of the living room. Any suggestions? I think the chandelier is too big and chunky.

Comments (47)

  • 13 years ago
    I quite like the table, buffet and chandelier - they make a nice chunky contrast to the delicate whites - though maybe the second mirror over the buffet could be switched out for something different (or nothing at all). Lovely doors, too.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you. I'm so afraid of choosing artwork. It always looks busy to me. Any suggestions?
  • 13 years ago
    I really like your home too! The chandelier seems ok from what I can see -but if u don't like it, I agree with jg011011 that a white one would look good..Your taste seems a little more elegant than the one you have.....But hard to tell from pic..I agree maybe a change of mirrors..But its really hard to tell what the large one looks like from pic...Bad thing about photos is they don't always give the best observer viewpoint...
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I always thought mirrors would enlarge a tiny space. Now you've got me to thinking maybe I should change them. Like I said above, I am very afraid of choosing art. I'm willing to try though. And, you hit it on the head - I always think I make things too formal for the house. I want it to be more casual. What do you think would bring it down a few notches? Thanks.
  • 13 years ago
    This one is sorta cool
  • 13 years ago
    Sorry, I meant white chandelier not light!
  • 13 years ago
    I can see something like this in your home (the pic)
  • 13 years ago
    I like it. Do you know who sells it?
  • 13 years ago
    A rug with blues in it under the white seating area would soften and "casualize" the look.
  • 13 years ago
    @readbetter...sorry, it is a room off the Houzz site, but I cannot pull it up from my pic...Wanted to give an idea of what I thought could work...
  • 13 years ago
    I like your place,but I would add a rug,artwork and curtains for some colour
  • 13 years ago
    No no no curtains, not in a small space. They will only darken the area and have it appear smaller. Your window coverings are perfect!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Very pretty! I might add a rug (a decent sized runner, oval, or rectangular shape) in between the two spaces, the entry area to separate the spaces, yet when combining a common color or two of both rooms, it will actually join them visually, adding interest and warmth. I would definitely add a couple very slim/sleek fabric covered cornices (that coordinate with the pillows) to the windows to cover the blind valance, add softness and a "finishing touch" to the room. Adding a rug under the sofa/table area may look too visually crowded. I find that most people tend to put too small a rug size at their main entry. It looks like you have room to put a decent size rug and make a great statement. You'll just want to make sure the one you choose is going to fit under your door when opening. Best of luck. You're on the right track!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks, Interior Enhancements... I love the idea or cornices. I'm having a chair recovered upstairs and will ask the upholsterer. And, love the idea of the runner.
  • 13 years ago
    Except for the mirrors, I think you've nailed it. Try to get excited about art - you've taken a chance with the bird so visit a gallery or university art department and get excited about more interest for your walls.
  • 13 years ago
    to make it less "elegant" place a large basket by the fireplace. Add a shaggy (but nice) rug and a throw. Find some good art. The mirror over the couch competes with the windows.
    Good job you are almost done!
  • 13 years ago
    I need to take baby steps because I'm afraid of color, hence art. But you have all encouraged me to take those steps. I like the basket idea too. I'm also going to get a rug. Thanks so much.
  • 13 years ago
    Nice, Jayme!
  • 13 years ago
    Oops - the picture Jayme posted is now gone or at least I'm not seeing it anymore.
  • 13 years ago
    There's no hurry on the art front - one day you're going to come across an art show with things you just love, or meet someone who is an artist that you like, or something like that. Don't buy something just to fill a space, because the space looks wonderful as it is.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree I like the dark, rich wood of the buffet and table. I wouldn't change the chandelier... but some nice artwork might look better and remove the mirrors. You have a lovely home ...it's very warm and inviting.
  • 13 years ago
    @Ann...I misrespresented the artist and was researching the correct one..the artist is Amy O. Woodbury
  • 13 years ago
    It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind, so try a bold piece of artwork that won't break the bank. Live with it for a while, and change it in a year if you get tired of it.

    The next time you buy flowers, will it be yellow daffodils? Purple irises? Red roses? Any of those accent colors would fit in your room. With those elegant neutrals, your artwork options are wide open. Just go with whatever speaks to you (the loudest).

    http://fineartamerica.com/products/yellow-daffs-jamie-frier-framed-print.html
  • 13 years ago
    I don't know how you feel about contemporary abstract, but I saw this artist on a blog the other day, and I think her things might be lovely. Again it might not at all be your style. Her name is Kerry Steele, at kerrysteele.com
  • 13 years ago
    Thought the room looked familiar.

    Since we are all on art suggestions now, I have a few cute ones:

    Wood Branch Wall Decor · More Info

    Girl in the Yellow Suit Print by Kiki & Polly · More Info

    "First Light I" Giclee Print · More Info

    Contemporary Artwork · More Info


    The trick is to browse the art section at Houzz, etsy.com, local art galleries... and you'll find your pieces. They will add so much personality to your home. Not as much as Lulu (as she's called in my mind) of course, but still ;-)
  • 13 years ago
    Art, a rug & some throws. It's a lovely room it just needs personalising.
  • 13 years ago
    Or not, if you like it the way it is.
  • 13 years ago
    This is simply beautiful!! My living/dining room is totally creams and off white! The color is in all of my artwork!! Like all of the above comments, remove the mirrors and add artwork! Don't be afraid of art, embrace it! Attend Art Festivals/Shows in your area! If a piece of art speaks to you, then get it!
  • 13 years ago
    I've been looking at FabianArts on Etsy and found some too. This will take some time but I see how much fun it can be. Thanks.
  • 13 years ago
    Oh yes, just looked at FabianArts and hmm... can definitely see why you like those :-)
  • 13 years ago
    It is a lot of fun and you're right, you have to take your time! Also, have you considered getting lamps with a colored base? I used to have red ginger jar lamps, but one bit the dust after my last out of state move. I found these brown ones that work beautifully. One designer stated in an article in House Beautiful that you should have something the color of your eyes in your livng room. Consider lamps, artwork, or a rug that has the color of your eyes in the piece!
  • 13 years ago
    I liked "Heads Up" because it was so light and playful. I would have to have it cropped to fit the little mirror space over the couch. ..... maybe. You folks are winning me over.
  • 13 years ago
    Love that idea!
  • 13 years ago
    Great website. The only thing I know about you other than having good taste is that you like daffodils. Have fun shopping, and post photos for us!

    giclee&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=Daffodil+giclee
  • 13 years ago
    Here is something different..again Amy O. Woodbury, artist
  • 13 years ago
    Dang..too small...I have her work in an ideabook of mine and /or go to her ideabooks...cool stuff.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks, Jayme. I like it. I'll go look.
  • 13 years ago
    Her work looks like fun. I can see the dance movement!

    http://www.amyowoodbury.com/#figures-and-structures/
  • 13 years ago
    I like the subtleness of her work
  • 13 years ago
    A little quirky and whimsical
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for the sites, samples, and ideas. I am going to have a hard time going to work tomorrow - I'm starting to like all this art!
  • 13 years ago
    What about moving the bird that is a little big over the mantel to over the extra large buffet? It's a lovely piece that everyone loved in your other post.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    An area rug in the living room would add the most impact and warm up the small space. Keep the windows simple. I would replace the blinds with white plantation shutters (no cornices). Put the mirror over the fireplace and eventually find prints or paintings that you like for the walls. Consider a round table or ottoman instead of the small square coffee table. Add a pair of large scaled tall ceramic lamps with linen shades on the buffet with the mirror or a large painting. If you put the mirror over the fireplace the put a painting over the buffet or vice versa. Add more of the smokey blues in accents or rugs .
  • 13 years ago
    These prints would look perfect somewhere in your place:
    http://ben-and-raisa-gertsberg.artistwebsites.com/art/all/seashells+spectacular/all
  • 11 years ago
    I just found this old thread and wanted to show you the painting, chair, and mirror I bought. Ugh, the dogs really messed up the sectional so I bought two love-seats instead - big mistake but have to keep them for now.