Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oksopkdfospk

Where do builders cut corners?

oksopkdfospk
7 years ago

Granite, hardwood flooring, etc upgrades aside..

What are some upgrades you feel are important when building a home? Example:

1/2 drywall, 2x6 framing, ZIP System Sheathing and Tape, Top grade PEX, for instance..

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    7 years ago
    Here are screenshots of a PDF showing some of the energy efficient techniques used by David Weekley homes.
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    7 years ago
    Any house is balance of quality, style, materials, size and cost. The key to satisfaction is buying/building one whose priorities align with yours. Things that are difficult or impossible to upgrade later -- for example 2 X 6 framing and an underground storm shelter or safe room in some areas --are top priorities. Energy costs will only get higher, and at the most primitive level the basic purpose of a home is providing shelter and safety.
  • sharlowm
    7 years ago
    I can tell you from past experience with a Ryan home, they use the cheapest fixtures, i.e. lights, faucets, doorknobs, toilets, sinks etc. by the time I sold that house had changed everything!! including the Windows! they aren't a custom builder though...
  • C F
    7 years ago

haha my last house was a David Weekley build and some cheap materials were most definitely used!

I have never built a home but some differences I have noticed in this house (a custom build for the original owner) compared to the David Weekley are more substantial interior doors, quality doorknobs throughout, beautifully spray painted trim and doors, adequate guttering, and an abundance of electrical outlets and general wiring considerations.

• PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    7 years ago
    @CF

I DID NOT recommend having a home built by David Weakly. I DID/AM saying they build energy efficient houses, using techniques and materials that can be emulated by other builders whose clients make that a priority. They used high pressure tactics forcing family member to make dozens of finish choices in a few hours, kitchen designer came up with a design that wouldn't work despite a standard floor plan, and they messed up the vanity in master bath.
    So no, I am not a fan of the company. On the other hand, they GUARANTEE a utility bill of less than $100 a month for first three years. For a 5,300 SF home (excluding 3.5 car carport) in Houston. Pretty energy efficient IMO.
  • millworkman
    7 years ago

Pretty much any developer or tract type home is going to be built to the bare minimum using the materials available to him at the best possible price. Upgrades cost you a huge upcharge plus many charge large change order fee's. In addition credits for items not taken are usually non-existent or minimal at best. Not necessarily cutting corners just maximizing the dollars for their best interest.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

The envelope is of great importance. Anything that sits BEHIND drywall is of the utmost importance. It is HARD to change out the insulation. It is easy to change out the kitchen.

It is easy to change out interior trim, it is hard/expensive to change out windows and exterior doors. Flooring is easy to change out if you have to. It can be expensive and annoying to move all your furniture, but it is something that can be upgraded later (so long as the subfloor is build PROPERLY to what you want to install in 5-10 years).

The envelope and insulation is very important. The finishings in the home can change when ever you want.