Software
Houzz Logo Print
sfeehley1

Stainless steel appliances or other

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

We are getting ready to gut our kitchen. We are going with white shaker cabinets and I'm not sure about color for appliances. I'm worried about using all stainless steel and then having it go out of style and date the kitchen. (Remember avocado green!) It also seems like the couple of stainless appliances that I have now scratch easily and the fingerprints look terrible. ( We will have a wood floor so I think that will help "warm" the feeling in the kitchen. What are your thoughts?

All Stainless
white
other

Comments (9)

  • 10 years ago

    Personally, I have never like the stainless steel. It looks cold and institutional to me. I think with white cabinets it might look very much more so. I chose black appliances and have a colorful Persian rug to warm up my kitchen.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I do love my black appliances but stainless steel is here to stay! I do not see it leaving anytime soon. I do happen to have a stainless steel dishwasher since the stainless steel model of my dishwasher was over $100.00 off when we purchased it last year. I would have had to pay full price for a black dishwasher.

    Anyway, I have not had any problem with keeping the dishwasher clean. It's not any harder to keep stainless steel clean over black or white.

    Sheila F thanked Bev
  • 10 years ago

    They have been saying stainless was going out 10 years ago. I like the look of stainless in the right kitchen and the new ones have a finish that don't easily show fingerprints. You are right though about potential around dent marks. If you want something else, you could look at Houzz or Pinterst photos of kitchens that will be similar to yours and see the appliances that are being used and how you like the different looks.

    Sheila F thanked Maureen
  • 10 years ago

    I've been reading some about white ice. Maybe that would be the best of both worlds?!


  • 10 years ago

    Maybe look at all white kitchens before you decide. It's a large investment and have to live with them for years. All the best.

  • 10 years ago

    Go with color appliances. I think it's Viking that makes something like 30 colors. I'm with you, I don't like stainless.

  • 10 years ago
    I went with stainless so that when we sell our house, it will be in style. I don't really like the maintenance that goes with stainless steel, and there are streaks and spots that I can't seem to get rid of. Maybe my stainless appliance cleaner is not a good brand.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    i voted other, i think its ok to mix stainless and 1 other finish, depending on your cabinet color.

    i have white cabinets and while most of my appliances are stainless, i went with a white fridge and one white wall oven, as i felt that it would look choppy to have a stainless oven placed in a very small run of white cabinets, and a white fridge brings a lot of brightness to a kitchen.

    if you want to have dark cabinets forever i dont think its bad to have a black dishwasher, but i never like black fridges, they are monolithic black holes, stainless is better.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations