Software
Houzz Logo Print
deb_perry96

Are these botanical paint colors too dark?

10 years ago

I'm thinking of painting all the rooms in my house in rich botanical colors with white trim but am worried they might be too dark. Maybe the lighter shades would be "safer"? The rooms are approximately 9x12' with no architectural interest. The west-facing rooms have good natural light - the east-facing rooms are shadowed. The rooms have textured carpet in various medium shades. Would go bold?


Comments (66)

  • 10 years ago
    I'm a cheerleader for having your home reflect who you are, and not the thundering herd. Design by committee rarely works well, and the questionable choice of today could very well be the hot trend of tomorrow. Again. It is only paint. If the OP Deb sees these colors as "botanical" then they are. We need to design for ourselves, not others. Beverly, you always (almost) give great advice, and I get that as a pro, you might have a different aesthetic. But if Deb likes the colors, she should use them.
  • 10 years ago

    Just to add to the stew. I have that lighter green in my bedroom , I love it and have for two houses now. We have a bluer version of the lavender in the other two bedrooms. They are also very pretty. Our living room is a slightly lighter shade of lavender and as many know the kitchen is rose. My bathroom is not quite as yellow as the yellow you have chosen but that's my taste not yours. I have painted every room in my house a different color. I did so in my last home and every home before that. No they aren't show room homes we live in them. The inspiration rooms you showed are a great place to start. I am Not saying it is your house go for it. I am saying that not everyone has the same tastes. One persons muted colors is another's yawn fest, just as my bright colors are some people's nightmares. I don't care I live in it , I didn't decorate it for the masses. Thank you enjoy your new home I hope it all goes well for you.

  • 10 years ago
    Go for it!
  • 10 years ago
    Two points:
    1 . The colors on the bottom row will probably give you the intended effect eg. When painted on the walls they will probably seem about the same color as those on the top row because the color on the paint chip will seem deeper on the walls because the walls are so much larger.
    2. It's always best to pick the paint colors last, after you've picked the colors for the fabrics that will go into the rooms. It's a lot easier to match paint to fabric than it is the other way round.

    That said, if you're in love with these colors, they can be done well together. Check out the Susan Seargent website and books to see some examples. If you really love it, go for it! It's nice to see people out there wanting to use color; there's too many grieve people in the world already :)
  • 10 years ago
    Bottom line s/r griege (stupid autocorrect)
  • 10 years ago

    Ha I didn't catch that corirusson , I read griege.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Beverly is right, a lot of people are encouraging her to paint because they 'love color' not because they have any real knowledge or experience. I love color also but I wouldn't ever paint my home in ALL of those colors. You can absolutely bring in the colors through your accessories but those colors are way too saturated to be on the walls. The prettiest brightest color in your fan deck isn't always the prettiest on your walls. You just need to be mindful at how you incorporate color. To me, my wasted time painting would be worth more than a $30-$50 gallon of paint. Many posters are asking professional advice and that's what Beverly gave.

  • 10 years ago
    I love bright colors! I had a lavender kitchen for years with green accents, I know sounds like a Easter egg but it was fun and cheery. Friends and family were not happy when I repainted this year. The room is now beige with a a earthy purple above chair rail on one wall. I like it but it's not the cheery room it was. My bed room is dark blue and teal, calm, rich and comforting. White drapes and molding gives a real pop. Paint what you like and make your home to show who you are not what the trend happens to be this year.
  • 10 years ago

    Actually I have both, I'm a trained artist. I paint , draw and have taught color theory. I'm also not saying jump into it blindly. Of course you should do test swatches of each color in each room. I'm not encouraging her to randomly paint her walls bright colors. I am saying you can use bright bold colors in you home without it looking over done or '' too bright''. There are many cultures in which bright wall colors are the norm. Yes my kitchen is painted in rose pink, however the cabinets are all white lacquer. My bedroom is a bright granny apple green , yet my furniture is white and my accents are pale pastels. It's about balance. You don't have to paint everything a neutral color to make your home relaxing and calming. Just like you don't have to paint it all red to be bold. Balance is key.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Oh my goodness, from "what colors should I paint my rooms?" to saving souls from leaping off rooftops. Methinks there's a bit too much hyperbole afoot.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Deb, I believe you had decided to go with color, just wondering how bold you should go, so I thought you might like to view the attached "30 of the best brightly colored rooms". If you want to use strong colors, just be sure that there is good balance in the room for a sense of calmness. You could add color on the ceiling or on a focal wall instead. Connecting rooms have to visually work with each other and it's not easy. An easier route could be to start with bedrooms and because they are not connected to public areas, you can have more fun with them. Also, I have a friend that hired a paint consultant because she wanted different, strong colors and it was amazing how it all came together - may be an option to consider. https://deringhall.com/daily-features/contributors/dering-hall/30-of-the-best-brightly-colored-rooms?slide=1


  • 10 years ago
    I am not suggesting OP paint those colors because I love color, my own home is in shades of white, gray, greige. I am suggesting that if she loves those colors, that she can make it work. "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris.

    Ultimately, Deb, you are the final arbiter of your environment. You take the path you want, there's no harm or foul on the rest of us posters.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Not that I'm a big fan of multiple colours, at least not these days, but is it not the job of an interior designer or decorator to help make a clients dream come true? I will always politely caution a client when they want to really go for it but at the end of the day, as one client reminded me, "it's my home and it's my money".

    Graham

  • 10 years ago
    My husband liked intense color. I like more muted sea and sky colors. We compromised by using a modern neutral throughout and painted one dramatic wall in each room. In all but one of the rooms we made the dramatic wall one which is not seen from adjacent rooms. We accessorized with a combination of the dramatic color and either plants, wood or stone. Using natural elements seemed to calm things down. I urge you to live with the colors you love.
  • 10 years ago

    I am interested gtb brought up she is an artist, i too am of that ilk. my mom was also an artist. i grew up in FL where everything was white with a drop of. every home i remember going to was multicolored, but not everyone was an artist. does everyone else not have this background. i was blue, sister pink, mom green, kitchen yellow, lr/dr green?

  • 10 years ago

    well op i now wait with bated breath do what you will and let us see what we think. but most importantly have fun doing it please.

  • 10 years ago

    When I was growing up my grandmother told me that one could either live in a house or a home. She said a home was your little corner of the world where you were free to do as you wished. You could decorate it the way you wanted, have what you wanted in it, run it the way you wanted, even have the people in it you wanted (possibly). A house was, well, just a house. With the stress of modern day life my home is my sanctuary. It has everything in it I love. It is not all perfectly coordinated and perhaps over furnished, my rooms don't flow, my walls are a variety of paint colors and wallpapers and it has no particular.style. My floors are a combination of tiles, timber and carpet, I couldn't decide on timber or stone bench tops in my kitchen so I got both because I loved both. But the main thing is, my home is my little corner of the world and I am always happy to be here.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    My studies in psychology make me believe that you are a bold, free spirtied person...but honey...those colors are BRIGHT! A little dab will do ya. Go lighter with these color tones

    Durham Designs · More Info

    and use accessories, art, even a rug and throw pillows to satisfy you need for the daring! These are the kind of colors that you can see glowing from a room if the door is left open. Buy large pieces of bright art and you can have any level of color your little heart desires! There are so many ways to skin a cat!!!!


    Lake Norman Lakehouse · More Info

    Lake Norman Lake House....see more

    Durham Designs · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    That was beautifully said Janelle , I'm proud to say I live in a home then.

  • 10 years ago
    Unless you have a great design eye, I would stay neutral on the walls & go bold with the accents. Too much of a good thing, is sometimes too much. You want your home to be inviting and not a fun house.
  • 10 years ago

    What is a design eye? Is that your way of saying most people can't hack painting their own house? It's a matter of tastes. What is one person's inviting is another's yawn fest. I personally find a completely neutral palette uninviting , it reminds me of a public space. However if that is how you are comfortable then good. You should live in comfort. Bright colors don't have to read fun house. Study Victorian design. Not one room was paint in a neutral color. Reds, blues, purples , greens. No one looks at pictures of old Painted Ladies and says they should have used greige. I'm saying this with respect because that is what we all deserve, stop being rude. Even if you are being subtle about it.

  • 10 years ago

    Deb Perry.... Are these paint colors ones that you are considering for your newly purchased Lake house.

    You stated that the rooms are 9x12.. those are quite small rooms. Unless the walls are all windows, the top colors will not only be bright but quite dark.. would go for the bottom row of colors.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    @GTB Neutral doesn't have to be boring, just not as bold as bold as fiesta colors. I wasn't trying to be rude to the OP, just imparting my honest opinion which you are most definitely are doing as well.

    If she loves those colors, great, most people would opt for a subtle incorporation of bold colors and design, not in your face bold that is hard to design around or change. If that's your bag, then great. keep on keeping on.

    I'm just taking a wild stab that the OP is coming here because she actually wants honest opinions from the masses, not just positive reinforcement of her original idea, which she is actually questioning.

  • 10 years ago

    @Steph Bright colors don't have to be fiesta colors. I agree neutral doesn't have to be boring, but is often overused. Now we will agree we don't agree and return the thread to the OP for it's purpose.

  • 10 years ago
    Keep in mind that light the color of your walls will reflect onto everything in the room. People don't look good with green light on their faces, neutral colored furniture/cabinets etc will take on off colors. It is unpredictable and usually unwelcome.
  • 10 years ago
    It's your house. I love the lower row of colors. I would agree that an accent wall not seen from other rooms would allow you to have all your beautiful colors. All trim moldings in the home would be painted the same white. Maybe all the non-colorful walls would be painted the same creamy neutral. Do one room and live with it a week or month to decide if you like it. Then do another. What makes you happy is the way you should go. I am sick of gray, beige, greige. You are not a lemming, following the crowd. It's your house.
  • 10 years ago

    Do not paint every room in your house a different color, and do not paint any room in your house any of these colors.

  • 10 years ago

    Friends I believe Deb has checked out. Her profile doesn't show any activity. Time to stop wasting your energy. Have a good one.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Then, I'm taking my colors and going home. Thanks GTB.

  • 10 years ago

    Sound plan Judy. Make a pretty picture.

  • 10 years ago

    let me close us with this bit of wisdom

    The Top Interior Design Quotes - Decorating Quotes · More Info

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Actually I AM still here and checking the comments every day. But after reading some of the comments, I didn't really know what to say. All I originally asked was if the top row of colors were too dark. The spirit of many of the comments felt rather unfriendly and I didn't want to be put into the position of "defending" my personal taste. I once visited the home of an artist who had several small rooms and all were painted in these same bright (botanical) colors. They were tied together with matching hardwood flooring, white trim, simple furnishings, and large glorious paintings. I thought the effect was stunning. I am a professional photographer and wanted to mimic the feel of his home. I just wondered if the colors were too dark. :/

  • 10 years ago

    @Deb I'm sorry it's hard to tell sometimes. I'm glad you didn't check out. Personally I don't think the colors are too dark. Especially if as you say you have the same flooring throughout and all white trim. I'm sure I'll hear lots of arguments on this but it really does come down to a matter of personal taste in the end. Clearly you won't enjoy a subtle neutral palette. If you have a vision for your home then you should use it. Don't pull back and think later I shoulda , woulda , coulda. Only you know what you are going to be comfortable with. I would suggest and this is just that a suggestion. Get samples of each color. Paint a large poster board with each of them then move it around the room you want it in during the day. It will give you a feeling for what the light will do to it. I think your house sounds charming. Enjoy it.

    Again I'm sorry , the negativity wasn't directed at you. Most of us are passionate about our view points we tend to go overboard stating them. Congratulations on the new home.

    Deb Perry Studio thanked Frankie
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    You've seen these colors used and found them stunning and that should be your mantra - lol - do what feels right for you in regards to the top or bottom shades..they are pretty close to tell you the truth and the effect would be very similar. All the best and enjoy your rooms!

  • 10 years ago

    My designer talked me into neutrals throughout my house. " You'll regret bold colors on big ticket furniture" she said. What I regret is having a gray couch instead of the orange one I wanted!

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Don't let other's ideas steer you from the idea you have in mind.
    The reference images you attached are nice, if your decor and personality match the boldness of the colors ... GO FOR IT!

    A little color inspiration. We're fans of the bold and white combinations.

    Love Live Woirk · More Info

    Modern Luxury Room | Orlando Road · More Info

    Vacation Rentals in Portugal. Beach house rentals, Villas for Rent. · More Info

    Sherman Oaks New construction · More Info


    PS Now we want to see Janelle's home too!

  • 10 years ago
    If you know first hand the colors could work, then go for it. It will only take a coat of primer to change it, if it doesn't. Without all the information like your experience with those colors, room lighting, and furniture, we can only impart our opinions based on our experience.
  • 10 years ago

    deb, i know i was all for it. and kinda still am, but you see you did not give the whole ball of wax so to speak..the artist had vivid paintings that were supported by the paint, will your photography be that way? like i have tons of black and white, pen and ink etc. I have them on a color called oiled teak, it supports them and the gradual, yellowing that they do. perhaps you should consider this?

  • 10 years ago

    Where is my comment from early in the thread? Our painting is never finished here.


  • 10 years ago

    I don't know. It's true though in humid environments you have to paint more often. With the laws on how paints are being made they will wear more too.

    I tell ya, every time I sit down to paint that guy is whining about his music. =)

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Holy moly! I somehow managed to miss this thread until just now. Deb, so sorry. I feel you have received a few good nuggets of input surrounded by a storm of ...stuff. One true nugget. Paint "chips" are generally stronger when on walls than chips look, so do make up sample boards and check them in your rooms, in your light at various times of day. I often take pictures of color samples in rooms with the other elements to "see" what my "focused" eye doesn't see. Use your photographers eye and you will see what you like and what works. It is that simple. Hope you will post results. I would like to see your results.
  • 10 years ago

    I would really like to see what you do as well Deb. I hope you will show us when you are done.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Thanks all. I will share the final results. Checking out now.

  • 10 years ago

    one last thing deb, flo is right. i once decided to paint my moms room a nice cheery yellow. it was cheery allright, enough to burn your eyes out in the morn. lol

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Botanicals · More Info

    Word of encouragement...we love them! Had a friend who had a very small home painted in all sorts of colors; it was gorgeous. Go with what you love!
    Botanicals · More Info

    Series · More Info

    Botanicals · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    My opinion is that this has all the ingredients of a disaster(not to be overly dramatic). Painting rooms in different, strong colors can make a home feel unconnected and chaotic. Those colors might seem almost neon on the wall, about as far from botanical as you can get. If you are looking for a harmonious, vibrant yet soothing natural feel I don't think this is the way.

    I am willing to eat my words if you go for it and it's a success. I wish you luck!

  • 10 years ago

    those are beauts chris. is this the photography deb? this will look very good against that paint i think? i know you are gone and we are talking to air, but the hope is you still look.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Thank you, @havingfun; appreciate the encouragement!:)

  • 10 years ago
    I'm actually really excited to see the results. Keep us posted.
  • 10 years ago
    Our living & dining rooms face east and we painted them SW Banana Cream, about the shade of yellow on the second row. Our bedrooms and baths are a pale pink SW Sugar Blush, like the Hydrangea pink shade Maureen offered. The office is a light sage green, faces west. We love it.