Software
Houzz Logo Print
missb0610

Need help! TV Area is too plain!

10 years ago

This is my TV area in my house. We just moved in. Console is from restoration hardware. I do not like how much plain wall space is around the TV. I will be hanging the TV but that still leaves a ton of space with 12 foot ceilings.

Comments (16)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Gallery wall with tv...


    Eclectic Mix Living Room · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    I would get a bigger tv, the console is beautiful but the balance of the 2 seems to be a little off. See in the picture posted, the console is slightly wider than the tv.

  • 10 years ago

    The way you have taken the picture, angled up to the ceiling, is not really how the eye perceives the room. Regardless of ceiling height, a room is "lived in" in the lower 8 feet and that's the area that is decorated. It is more likely that you need items beside, not above the TV. A larger view of the whole room and that wall would be helpful.

  • 10 years ago

    I like the idea of the gallery wall with TV.

    Agree with the comment that the balance of the console and TV seems to be off.

    Is there someone else in your home where you can use the console?

  • 10 years ago

    Usually the credenza below a TV is just 25% wider than the set. Should increase the size of the TV accordingly. We can't see enough of your room to advise much else except to say that the console is too cluttered with little stuff.

  • 10 years ago

    Yes the tv is too small for your console. You could get a much larger tv and install it on the wall inside a cabinet with decorative wrought iron doors that you leave open. I'll look for a picture for you.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm not a designer, but increasing the size of the TV just because you have a larger credenza seems nuts to me. If the TV works for you, is the right proportion for the room itself, based on how large the room is and where you sit to watch it, then why replace it? A smaller credenza might have been easier to work with, but that's not where you are now. I would suggest you hang the TV (make sure not to hang too high, that seems to be a common mistake), make sure cords etc can be hidden, then decorate the sides of the credenza with larger/taller items, vases etc, to fill the space. Personally I dislike gallery TV walls, especially things hung over the TV. Marbe some larger artwork to the sides but that would be it. Empty space over the TV doesn't bother me - I don't see any reason to draw one's eyes up there. TV and credenza will be focal point of this wall, I assume. TVs may not be beautiful but their presence in most of our homes is not going to change, so accept it.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    People are correct that the proportion of TV width to credenza width is off. There are a couple of ways to correct it. Bigger TV is one but I agree with Susan, that wouldn't be my choice. You need to fill 3/4 of the width of the area above the credenza, but you don't need to put anything higher than your mounted TV. My suggestion would be to "mark off" 3/4 of the width of the credenza and hang the TV at one side, and add a piece of wall art or tall item(s) on the other size. I think that would look better than centering the TV and putting things on either side of it.

    And you need big stuff on that big credenza. Your decor items are too small.

    Architecture and Interior Design · More Info

    Bedford Park · More Info

    Mid Century Flat Remodel · More Info

    missb0610 thanked partim
  • 10 years ago
    I think partim's suggestion makes the most sense since you are planning to hang the TV on the wall already. Please do not hang it up too high. Place at eye level when you are sitting down. The idea of a large lamp to the side of it seems the easiest too.

    The idea of getting a bigger tv or smaller console is not always feasible for us. Trying to work with what we already have is part of what Houzz is all about. What a great site!
    missb0610 thanked sunnydrew
  • 10 years ago

    Love partim's suggestions, and also how in her pics, there are good examples of having the TV off center - if that makes sense with your room, you can totally make that work as well.

    missb0610 thanked susanalanandwrigley
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I like suzyq53 inspiration photo. I think two light fixtures flanking the TV mounted would look great. The light cast would add drama to the wall, making the wall feel less like "dead space". Also, do you have more photos of the full room --perhaps there is a wall or configuration you haven't thought of that might work better??

    missb0610 thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    I really like your furniture, and you definitely don't need to get a larger tv. It fits perfectly with the middle section of your console. I agree with others, I like suzyq's photo as well. A symmetrical arrangement of frames would do the trick, too.
    Sunset Stream · More Info


    You could make a feature of the arrangement by painting the wall just in the area behind the console (or use wallpaper). That would make the tv area a focal point, but would probably look best if the console is already centered on the wall. It's hard to tell from your photo. :)
    Royal Palm · More Info


    Or you could minimize the dead space with a couple of floating shelves or sculptural wall art.
    Naples Beach Coastal Retreat Series Living Room · More Info


    Wall sculptures:
    Benzinger Terrace - Brentwood, TN · More Info

    Eclectic Living Room with Pops of Color · More Info

    Beach House on Long Island · More Info
  • 10 years ago

    Some great ideas. Let us know what you do.

    missb0610 thanked Angel 18432
  • 10 years ago

    Not sure if it would work for you, we have low cabinet and 10"

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Here is one of our designs, perhaps it will help here.

    Lakeshore Dr. Residence, Hammonton, NJ 08037 · More Info