Software
Houzz Logo Print
skw27

Ceiling texture

10 years ago

What do most people do for ceiling texture? My GC called me this morning and asked what I wanted to do, I have no idea! He said the two choices, same cost, would be knockdown or stomp. I tried googling images but didn't have much luck trying to figure out which to choose. Any opinions/advice would be appreciated! We're located in E Tennessee on 80 acres, home style is a simple farmhouse.

Comments (20)

  • 10 years ago

    I don't like texture of any kind and would ask for smooth.

  • 10 years ago

    If simple farmhouse go for smooth. It will cost extra but worth it.

  • 10 years ago

    I always prefer smooth. Here is a link to images of the various texture options:

    http://www.drywallschool.com/textures.htm


  • 10 years ago

    I would ask for smooth or if they aren't capable of doing smooth I would as for orange peel. After smooth it's the least offensive in my opinion.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Thanks so much! Jennifer, the pics were so helpful. Of all the selections I'm prepared with, ceiling texture was not anything I gave any thought to, beyond NOT having popcorn ceilings :). I think I read somewhere in my attempts to search for pictures that smooth can show lots of imperfections when the light hits it right (or wrong as the case may be)? If the person finishing doesn't do a good job that is. I'm wondering if they don't do a lot of smooth here and maybe they don't have the right skill set? I'll ask. I'm thinking most walls are done smooth nowadays whereas orange peel used to be the norm, but he hasn't asked me about walls. I'll ask him what the price difference would be for smooth. From the pictures, I apparently had knockdown in my last house I built, the texture question was never asked, just done.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I'd agree anything more than orange peel is somewhat offensive.

    However I'd never do smooth with all the dings you get during building plus if you have kids good luck!

    I went with a "light" orange peel finish.

    What ever you decide make sure you get a washable flat or matte paint if you go smooth otherwise your drywaller needs to be perfect. Higher sheen paints will make those imperfections pop!

  • 10 years ago

    I'm in middle TN and smooth is the standard for walls and ceilings for any new construction. The one benefit to smooth walls is when you do have to patch something (and you will) you don't have to worry about the textures matching. We ran into that with our ceilings at our current home and it drives me nuts. :)

  • 10 years ago

    Knock-down is standard on specs here; smooth on custom.

  • 10 years ago

    The link defines the different levels of drywall finishing.

    For smooth finishes(non popcorn/stomp/etc) like just paint, a level 4 is what I consider the minimum level.

    That means extra costs for the extra labor.


    Finish levels

    skw27 thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Jennifer, cool to see the various types of ceiling textures. My builder asked me if I wanted popcorn -- in a jesting manner. No way! (Laughing.) He gave me smooth Or maybe it is a very light sand texture??? I just know it isn't popcorn or any of those other textures in the link! As for the walls, they were done smooth. Yes, the bathrooms may someday show imperfections but I want them washable and so asked for eggshell.

    As far as here goes (current home), apparently I have a moderately-perlite/sand textured ceiling, which is fine by me. The basement den ceiling is smooth, because we added that on.

    I'd actively like a Spanish texture on ceilings and walls were I building a Southwestern adobe home.

    skw27 thanked artemis_ma
  • 10 years ago

    Yes it is regional. I am from NY and walls and ceilings here are smooth, so when we redid our condo in FL we expected smooth walls there too. Nope, not going to happen unless we wanted to pay a HUGE uncharge. Seems very few people in FL know how to do a smooth finish. Standard is either orange peel or knockdown.

    skw27 thanked cpartist
  • 10 years ago

    Not sure I've ever come across smooth in my location. Knockdown and light orange peel are standard and not nearly as offensive as some seem to think.

    skw27 thanked ascorsonelli
  • 10 years ago

    Cpartist, the last house I built was in Tampa and knockdown was standard. But again, it was never asked of me what I wanted. That was 13 years ago so I figured things have changed. The GC said textured ceilings are standard but that smooth can be done. I have a message into him now asking how much more for smooth. If it's considerable I won't do it, ceiling texture is not a huge deal to me and I'd rather spend the extra $$ on things that I'll notice every day.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Thank you Lily'smom! We'll see what he comes back with. I definitely am giving him a run for his money with all my houzz/gardenweb experience! I think this is stomp, this pic is from the rental we're in while the house is being built. Ugly, in my opinion.

  • 10 years ago

    Definite no to stomp.

  • 10 years ago

    Here prevalent are rosebud (see above skw27), rosebud Knock Down and Crows Feet Knock Down, Spanish Knock Down, Extreme Light Orange Peel.

  • 10 years ago

    my townhouse was built in the late 80's, it had popcorn already applied, everywhere but kitchen and baths. My mind has filtered it out, once you've lived with it for 26 years, ya find its not that bad ;-)))))))))))))))))))))))) My next house will have smooth for sure though!

  • 10 years ago

    We must have stomp in our current late '80's house since it resembles the picture you posted, although ours is even deeper and more stalactite looking. :) I've been told it's more difficult than popcorn to remove because it must be sanded down rather than scraped and then a skim coat applied to the ceiling to smooth it. I'm looking forward to leaving it behind when we move!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I always thought textured ceiling are for covering up inferior materials and poor craftsmanship.