0

Modernizing antique furniture

lefevrej
FH = traditionalist; I'm= transitional/modern. I'm working around bedroom furniture that looks similar to the one attached, trying to lighten and brighten it up a bit.The striped picture is of the bed cover I bought. I was thinking of beige carpet and sheer white curtains.
My question is, do u think i'm going in the right direction? what colour accent pillows/throw would you put on the bed? and what colour drapes?
The base of our bedside maps are white marble and our ceiling light is similar to the one attached.
Any advice is much appreciated.

• latifeh hammad
    Because your furniture is dark try to go for lighter virgins of browns honey mocha olive green or sage love your bed cover and for pillows you can mix and match from the color palate I provided. Hope you like my idea
  • lefevrej
    Thanks latifeh! Some of the colours you mentioned had never occured to me. Thanks once again :)
  • moenna
    Do a search for Crosscill Lisbon. That might work wonderfully, with your beautiful furniture.
    Mo
  • lefevrej
    Thanks moenna! What gorgeous bedding they have! Great inspiration - thank you!
    Matt Patterson Custom Homes
    I turn that stuff into bath vanities.
  • moenna
    I think if suitable pieces, have been separated from their mates, it is ok to repurpose them. However, I don't like to see sets split, especially if they are true antiques.
    Mo
  • moenna
    You are welcome, lefevre. Rich, jewel colours, also go well with antiques. However, if you wish to lighten and brighten, something like Lisbon, might be good.
    Mo
    Barnhart Gallery
    It's an intriguing juxtaposition, modern baroque. Searching the two terms together on houzz came up with some wildly wonderful possibilities for you -- scroll through the pages here for dreamy inspiration:
    http://www.houzz.com/modern-baroque
  • lefevrej
    Thanks Barnhart Gallery - i hadn't tried those two together, some food for thought!! :) Thanks once again for your help moenna!
  • julieg77
    Is stripping your dark furniture an option? My mom just had her antique table stripped for $190 and it now looks like the ones selling for $1509 from restoration hardware, etc.