Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richard_harrison38

Rain garden site

RW Harrison
7 years ago

We originally re-routed the downspout to divert rainwater to an existing bed. We plan on expanding this area for a new rain garden and to help irrigate the blue spruce as well. R. Harrison

Comments (7)

• PRO
    RW Harrison
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Staying with the same site, but now more of aware of potential "root" issues and avoiding standing water next to the fence. R.Harrison

• Susan Bryan
    7 years ago

Sounds good. What are your plant ideas? Something tall, to go in front of those blue spruces? My first thought is Coriopsis tripteris, Tall Coriopsis. What are your ideas?

• PRO
    RW Harrison
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for your reply, I listed rudbeckias, yellow coneflowers and possibly milkweed on my plan. Coreopsis would look good in there as well. We have some Anemone in the bed due west of the site.

• PRO
    RW Harrison
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Rain Garden site plan. · More Info

Here's a better angle of a RG we completed several years ago. The supply is the downspout on the left. During heavy events, excess rainwater is directed to the beds on the other side of the walking path. It has effectively eliminated the periodic flooding in the workshop in the background of this image. Thanks again.

• PRO
    RW Harrison
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Were you guys involved in the planning/design/construction at this site at the U of M Botanical Gardens? We watched a passing rain shower move thru and this site handled the runoff extremely well.

• Susan Bryan
    7 years ago

Nope - but my professor at UofM was. Bob Grese is the director there, and taught me all I know, many years ago. :)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting