cmcole01

Please Help me decorate my new bedroom!

cmcole01
My new bed was just delivered and I now need help finalizing paint and other furniture. The pics show my new bed and bedding (although comforter in pic will have ivory matellase cover- not white as pictured). Everything else in room needs to change (furniture, lamps, window treatments, paint) and I need help! (Don't judge the mess on the dressers)

The current wall color is gray with blue tones. We are thinking of painting either blue or a beige color, any ideas?

• abbyjean
    Do you have a jewelry box, worthy of display? Or something for jewelry, even if it is not a box? A small manequin type thing...have seen at PB, along with a hand for watches and bracelets. Do you wear jewelry?
  • Ann
    Sorry the lamp delivery was pushed back. My pair seemed to take such a long time, but were worth the wait. Hopefully you'll feel the same way. Regarding the dresser decor, shop your house first. Abbyjean is quite good at tabletop and shelf decor:)

Need help redesigning my 20x20 bedroom - New floors, paint, decor

The best way for us to help you is for you to post some pictures of bedrooms that you like. That helps us to establish the style you like. Then, you and your wife need to going on a internet shopping trip. You are going to find one of three things that you both like. Artwork, an area rug or bedding. This, along with the pictures you post, will become the inspiration for the room. I did create two boards to kind of get a feel for what you are thinking about. Believe it or not, both the rooms have the same color scheme, but look completely different. Ivory, blue, orange. The first one is more modern and soft. The other vibrant and full of patterns. Normally, I don't recommend this much pattern in a room, but in your room it would work because it is so large. Here are suggestions no matter how the room ends up looking: 1. Remove the following: the safe

i need help for my bedroom decor ,i bought a new bedroom set .

What is your bedding like if it is the bedding in the picture the drapes won’t work for sure.As for the art it will depwnd where you hang it and if you can use some of the colors for acccents and again depends on bedding.

please help me to decorate my bedroom

Duplicate original is at https://www.houzz.com/discussions/please-help-me-to-decorate-my-bedroom-dsvw-vd~4215821?n=1

Need help decorating my BedRoom

A feature wall of wallpaper and drapery would make a huge difference in your space. Also consider matching night tables with storage for all the items you currently have on top of your tables. Also consider matching lamps. Consider moving the tall dresser where the white mirror is and centre your other dresser and mirror across from the bed. You might have room for a bench at the foot of the bed for added texture and colour as well.
  • rjanice
    I love the headboard and have been looking for one like it. Where did u get it. The room looks great. I put a lingerie chest in our closet and put our tv on it. It is out of site but not an eyesore.
  • ncdoglover
    Wow, wow, wow.....your room looks great - stylish and peaceful.
  • cmcole01
    thanks kmfletcher & rjanice for the super nice comments. my bed is from Bassett and i love it. as for dresser decor - i will wait until lamp gets here and play around with things. i do have a jewelry box but it isn't the most decorative - large black leather box. i saw a gold or silver tree branch jewelry holder at zgallerie that might look nice to hold my more frequently worn jewelry. or i was thinking some kind of floral arrangement(fake not real). i will definitely shop my house first and ask for tons of help :-).

also - any suggestions for a garbage can for in the room? my husband insists we have one but i want it to at least look nice.
  • abbyjean
    Do you have a nice wicker basket that might work? A pretty piece of larger, but shorter pottery?
  • cmcole01
    hmm - i'll take a look and see what i might have in a basket. thanks!
  • nature93
    Wanted to share a thought that keeps coming up each time I look at the photos of your serene, lovely room. May be an idea you have rejected already but I could not find it in the thread. Remember, I love what you are doing with your room all around and find inspiration for my own bedroom changes. When I look at the pillows on the bed, that last little one seems like it would be better if it were one of those long slim round pillows, a bolster - wide but not large around, to finish the bed with a little contrast in shape and maybe texture. Maybe a different fabric texture but similar color to what you have. Just my thought....something shaped like this but different fabric, of course http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Suzani-12-Inch-x-20-Inch-Bolster-Pillow/1016863289?Keyword=bolster+pillow

And since we all want to save $, you could have a local seamstress make it so you could pick your fabric and pay less than prices I'm looking at online.
  • hly2002
    Dresser suggestion - distinctive bottles of perfumes and colognes?
  • cmcole01
    Hi all - so I wanted to continue discussion about hamper and garbage can that won't take away from my room. I found these 2 options. I prefer the darker but am wondering if it will work or if I should go with the lighter wicker. Thoughts??

Also Nature93 thanks for comments on pillows, I agree I need a little something else with my pillows. I would like to add some sparkle or something but am not sure direction to go.

My new dresser lamp should arrive tmrw :-).
  • bluenan
    Can't wait to see the dresser lamp. I like the Southampton. Either way, I do prefer the lidded hampers.
  • Ann
    I like the darker baskets. I hope the lamp is perfect!
  • kendrakj
    First of all, love the Kitty in each photo. Beautiful bed, rug and lamps. Another choice would have been to use wall hung swing arm bedside lamps. They take up no space on the night table. Maybe cancel your back ordered lamps, put the existing ones on the dresser? If you have the funds and the space, an upholstered chair would help soften all the case pieces in your room. As far as the dresser top or night stand top, a beautiful tray with current magazines, or books that you like, will add some accent color. You are doing a wonderful job. If you loosen it up a bit using non matching items you will have nailed it. Good luck
  • abbyjean
    Yes! Love the dark pieces and they will ADD to your room instead of taking away.
  • nature93
    I also like the darker baskets.
  • Blythe Marc
    I haven't actually been able to read through all the tips but at a glance they sound good.
    Just one small tip which may help pull the room together is a check list, Furniture- bedsides, dresser, chair, Linen, cushions, throws paint, picture wall art, lamps, ceiling lighting, runners, mats or floor rugs, window furnishings... etc. by elimination it will make decision making easier and pull the room together just the way you want it. I sometimes find if I get too many ideas I get confused and forget the look I really was wanting to create - Good Luck and have fun.
  • nature93
    This is a good suggestion for me, cbsharples, as I am slowly working on a Master bedroom improvement project also. It is a good point that it is easy to lose track of the most important goals in creating the room by all the stimulation of different looks and items. Thanks.
  • Blythe Marc
    Impressed! your room is pulling together nicely I noticed you made comment about a gold Jewellery stand you were looking at amazingly enough I have thought the same thing that a touch of gold would really make the room inviting, You could also pick up gold in a antique or brushed gold ceiling pendant. Mood lighting really makes a room.
  • Blythe Marc
    By the way your bed looks much better with the three Euros you could even team the small cushion with a beaded lumber style cushion I have attached an image of my bed so you can see how I have arranged the cushions. Different colouring but still a subtle shade.
  • Blythe Marc
    Sometimes it is just the small things in life which make a room home, a picture, a jewellery stand or casket a vase or figurine, sometimes an oversized beaded tassel arranged on a dresser can look very nice or even just a candle burning.
  • Blythe Marc
    I have attached a picture of a glass candle lamp I have which could be another alternative for your dresser rather than another lamp.
  • cmcole01
    My new lamp arrived today and I like it! I have attached pics of it on my dresser. I need to work on the rest of the dresser (don't mind it for now). All Ideas are welcome.

@cbsharplea thanks for comments.
  • Ann
    Oh, I like it too, very much! Maybe move it just a bit to the left so when you stand back and look at it the right edge of the shade won't extend past the right side of the dresser. Nice!!!
  • Blythe Marc
    Gives nice ambiance to the room - done well
  • hly2002
    What do you think of these etched bottles?
  • Blythe Marc
    Yes, Yes,Yes, a must have...
  • armygirl1987
    Lamps look really great as did the rest of the room.
  • Blythe Marc
    Bit hard for me to say having not been in the room but would the lamp look better on the left side altogether
  • cmcole01
    Thanks all :-)! HLY2002 I do like those very much - where are they from? They look like mercury/silver color though - how would that look with the copper, champagne accents I have already in mirror, bedside lamps, bed?
  • bluenan
    The lamp is really nice, I like it a lot!
  • hly2002
    I thought your bedside lamps were mercury silver as well - the bottles are from Horchow.... http://www.horchow.com/Two-Etched-Glass-Bottles/cprod84400003/p.prod?ci_sku=cprod84400003skuSILVER&ci_gpa=pla
  • hly2002
    Seems to me the silver would fit in fine with your color scheme, but it's a bit difficult to tell just working from photographs....
  • cmcole01
    HLY2002 -Attached is a close up of the lamp base it has mercury finish but is champagne color. I don't mind mixing metals but want it to make sense.
  • hly2002
    To me, the etched bottles nicely complement the lamps - coordinated but not "matchy matchy" - if it were me, and I was OK with the price (almost $200), I would contact Horchow and see if they would allow free shipping return if after seeing them in the room I wasn't happy with how they went with the decor....
  • Ann
    Maybe something more ORB color. Take your time and look around - the perfect accessories will be out there - and there's no huge hurry. Plus, I don't want this discussion to end anytime soon:) I'll keep my eyes open as I do my daily internet shopping:)
  • cmcole01
    thanks HLY2002 and Ann - i agree that i'm not in a rush and also $200 for something like this does seem a bit expensive. I'm trying to slow down my shopping :-). Also, now that i am getting organized (especially in my office) my husband and i have a lot of stuff to go through from when we moved in. i have so much that has been packed away, even from our wedding, and i'm hoping to find things i already have to use (rather than keeping spending).

that being said - i am always open to ideas and suggestions and if i find the perfect thing at a great price, who knows :-).
  • soto01
    Love your room! One idea--why don't you line the top drawer on your husband's nightstand with velvet and compartmentalize for his valet?
  • Ann
    It's wonderful when you can shop your own house! Sometimes (but not always) it works out well!
  • soto01
    Ann, are you an interior decorator? I love your ideas -- hope you're here to help with my bedroom when I'm ready to do it!
  • Ann
    Oh my goodness, no, soto01. I'm only an interior decorator in my dreams, but thank you for the compliment. We love to discuss bedrooms. When you post your dilemma, try to find a popular post you've participated in (like this one maybe) and post a quick link to your dilemma. It's good not to interrupt other posts with your stuff (I've done too much of that), but I bet cmcole wouldn't mind one comment letting the rest of us know of your post. Then she and the rest of us can visit your bedroom too. I got wonderful help in a previous dilemma about my bedroom. Bedroom decorating discussions are great fun!
  • soto01
    Ann, I think they are great fun too!! Where can I see pictures of your bedroom? I am not computer savvy. So, I am struggling a bit with it.
  • Ann
    soto01, here is a link to that very, very long discussion. The "before" picture is the first picture in the dilemma and the after picture is near the bottom - look for a Jan 5th, 10:05 am pic. for the "after" pic. Now, shall we get back to cmcole's bedroom:)
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/should-i-buy-an-upholstered-headboard-dsvw-vd~541198
  • Blythe Marc
    I have only come in on the later of this lengthy discussion and I don't know about you cmcolle1121 but if this was me doing my room I would be somewhat overwhelmed by so many innovative ideas and be side tracked from the original look I wanted to create.
    I have attached two pictures, The first one being one bluenan sent you sometime back and you made positive comment as to it, the second one being one I saw on Ann's link which has black bedside tables as you have chosen. Which make quite a statement. The first step to my tip would be decide out of the two which kind of look you would like to create and use it as a guide that way you can visualize how it will look in the room with what else you have. It doesn't have to be the same but it helps give you direction with colour combinations, shade, shapes, objects etc. The second step would be to cross off from your check list what you have already chosen which leaves step 3 to resolve the items left on the list. Process by elimination makes working out much fun, and relieves any confusion. Only a suggestion for you to try.
  • armygirl1987
    The room is almost complete cbsharples.
  • Blythe Marc
    A picture on the wall or something on the dresser to tie in the black bedside tables would be worth a thought. As you see in the example I gave the room with the dark bedsides, has a black leather footstool, black framed pictures on the wall and black in the mat. It pulls the room together rather than the bedsides standing alone, I really like the idea of your little black kitten she really makes your room.
  • nature93
    Hey, I like your new lamp. And I like your idea about the pillows. Your room is serene and lovely - getting so close to completion. It will be wonderful to sort through things from your wedding and other things in storage. enjoy.
  • cmcole01
    Thanks all. Cbsharples I really appreciate you going back and reviewing this very long thread and giving your ideas - but as Armygirl mentioned I am almost done with this room and am very happy with where I ended up. I think the time for making lists has passed.
  • Blythe Marc
    So happy for you and well done with your success.
  • cmcole01
    Thank you @cbsharples
Aero Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Vancouver's Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler - Best of Houzz