Software
Houzz Logo Print
milano666

Need help with our 70ies bathroom

13 years ago
We Love the seventies and we want to keep the Charme of this decade on our bathroom of the House we just bought. I Would like to keep the red tiles but i do Not have an idea how to create the floor ( white small butterfly tiles)and the shower, this we have and also want to remove. Can you help is with your ideas? Thank you in advance for your support!!!

Comments (50)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Nice, sam. The red tile is fabulous. I also think your floor pattern should be simple, white, I might even go with the 12" x 24". As far as the shower floor, the same product as the rest.
    Italian Colored-body Glazed Porcelain Tile/ White - Floor Tile · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I think large white slabs of tiles with no grout lines would look best with the busy red pattern on the wall. I like the red tiles!
  • 13 years ago
    Love the 12x24 size as well.
    We have that size emser strands - take a look at the pearl color - may work.
  • 13 years ago
    that i agree with totally
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    OMG we were twins this was my bathroom (changed out now)!!!!!
    Master Bathroom · More Info

    Actually yours are much nicer than mine - I also like your sinks and mirrors. There are some tiles you can buy that are super thin to layover an existing tiled floor - perhaps a white or pale grey.
    For your shower, are those stick on flowers or is that a shower basin? It would be good to change the shower door to a frameless if possible.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I agree keep white or very light grey tiles with the red ones, which are beautiful by the way !
  • 13 years ago
    Is that a vertical wall mounted light fitting? I am revamping a 70s bathroom and looking for vertical lights also.
  • 13 years ago
    I love the tile! I'm not a professional, but I think a good way to incorporate the 70s into that bathroom would be to replace the mirrors with medicine cabinets from that period. Gold fixtures are also very 70s, so maybe think about replacing the faucets/pipes/etc. Also, maybe you could install a vintage light fixture from the 70s. I'm sure whatever you pick will look great.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    So jealous of you!! What a great bathroom. Are you wanting a larger shower? Agree with changing out the shower door. Do you have any storage in this bathroom?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would also change out the shower door - go frameless. For the floor, you could use Carrera Marble tiles 12x24 or 18x18, instead of white porcelain. It would break the brilliant white a bit and be very classy. I would not go so far as to use gold fixtures, you will get sick of that. Also, the shower floor can now be tiled with large tile, as long as you can cut them at a 45 degree angle. See Wedi foam board - very innovative (www.wedicorp.com). If you use large tile on the shower floor, same as the other floor, there will be better continuity and less disruption (by mosaic tile for instance). The sinks and mirrors are very cool. Medicine cabinets from that era are not pretty.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    .....and then you could pull the gray out of the Carrera and use gray towels.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you so much for your ideas and assistance!!! You helped me a lot and encouraged me to ask this Forum for help, it is just Great! I wish you all happy easter, here in Germany it is snowing.....
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Ha, my tiles were in Switzerland (must have been same supplier!) Happy Easter - snowing here too!
  • 13 years ago
    For a bathroom, an anti-skid tile surface is less slippery. I have had smooth marble bathroom floors in several homes and have had the black & blue marks that come with them. Honed marble instead of polished marble would be a nice contrast to the glossy red tiles on the walls, as well as safer. I concur with the frameless shower for a cleaner look.................... For the shower basin, you can cut the tiles or marble into 4" x 4" (10cm x 10cm) squares and place them on the diagonal to increase the traction in the shower itself. A sand-less pale grey grout will give you a smoother finish with tighter grout lines t(hat will not distract from the main clean surface). The pale grey grout is the same shade as soap residue (keeping things neater between your weekly deep clean). I would stick with polished nickel or stainless steel for the faucets and towel bars, as all of your exposed plumbing is stainless steel. "Floating shelves" in white would help tie things together. A very small accent of black in the room will help your white "pop". Bonne Páque from Sunny Provence
  • 13 years ago
    The little things on the wall stick out a lot against the tile. Consider an outlet cover that fits the style better plus a different doorknob for the bathroom door.
  • 13 years ago
    Also, what is in between the mirrors?
  • 13 years ago
    Keep your red tiles, so much character. I would change what is within the shower to lighten it up. White flooring would look awesome! For some updated contrast that doesn't steal the show, or style, frame the mirrors dark and add dark tile, or paint the tile just below the shower.
  • 13 years ago
    Between the mirrors is a separate light!
  • 13 years ago
    I LOVE that red tile!!!! I wonder if you can still get it! I would love to do a bathroom like that! I agree with everyone's comments about using white on the floor. Then put an awesome "shag" rug down!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    genamorgan - proof that what goes around comes around...sometimes the best type of renovation is to do nothing and wait a few years!
  • 13 years ago
    Just remove the flowers from the shower pan. It looks totally retro-hip in there
  • 13 years ago
    I'd pick a sandy grey offwhite tile for the floor, because bright white will look dirty faster and white grout in floors even more. And IF you're going to re-do the shower, just pick clean white tiles to repair walls, also install a door with a white frame.
  • 13 years ago
    As everyone said great red tiles! Personally I would throw black or timber into the room to retain its charm but also bring it along for another 40 years. The main problem with adding white tiles, is how white is the existing grout and will it look dirty and old next to the new ones?

    To help you plan how much black and where: print a full A4 color image of your bathroom, layer a piece of clear acetate sheet over it, then with a whiteboard marker scribble away! It wont take long to see the new bathroom emerge.

    Below is a capture of some black in red bathrooms I searched, I typed red black bathrooms in Google.
  • 13 years ago
    i love the red tiles. i also like red and white. i agree that the floor is a bit busy for the walls. bigger white tiles without grout lines i think would look great! the red tiles are amazing.
  • 13 years ago
    Turquoise is a great color with red. Thinking towels, mirror frames...
    Chapman House · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Before I ripped out the floor tile or the shower floor I would try some spray tile cleaner. Scrub free that works on tub surround and grout. Locate a brand that prevents soap scum and mildew stains. It will whiten and brighten all the grout so that it looks like new. Then you can concentrate on changing that shower door. That's a great bath room. Good Luck.
  • 13 years ago
    Love the red tiles too! My first reaction for flooring - dark gray honed slate. It's a natural stone that isn't shiny (or slippery and would soften the overall look but still make those red tiles pop.
  • 13 years ago
    What do you think, what Kind of Storage can i use?
  • 13 years ago
    I love these tiles... I would substitute the shower box with the glass wall or a wall with retsina finishing the same that I would use for the floors .. The white color is a success guaranteed.. Change the mirrors although.. If you want something less classic use charcoal grey color or black! Look here http://www.gobbetto.com/contatti/
  • 13 years ago
    If you use black or charcoal grey for the floors, the bathroom fixtures must be changed also to black
  • 13 years ago
    neat tile! I love the floor judyg suggests. I'd look into a really slick and streamlined glass shower door with no metal trim 0 might have to replace some tile around entry to shower and the threshold? could make it look intentional with white tiles? I'd try to get those sticky flower treads off the bottom of the shower. Perhaps shower floor can also be updated or re-glazed with that spray on stuff. I'd look for a white, double sink vanity and square mirrors above it and a mostly white light fixture.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You could easily reface the tile on the floor and in your bathroom. We provide granite and recycled glass products that are install right over your existing surfaces. I'd recommend a gorgeous new granite floor and we can install an insert on your shower floor. They come with a lifetime warranty and we guarantee you'll love the finished look. Check out our selection- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/services/bath-remodeling/

    Good luck, feel free to contact us with any questions you might have!
  • 13 years ago
    Agree that white floor and a frameless shower door would open up the room and give it a fresh look. Love it!
  • 13 years ago
    Mammal






    Vcvbbbd
  • 13 years ago
    i like your bathroom! you just need to update the mirrors, light and shower doors. if you feel like you can also replace the shelfs above the sinks and sinks themselves. at OVERSOCK.com they sell similar tiles, maybe smalles size. you can play with the colors and shapes. for example make a frames for the mirror with the smaller tiles. most of all be brave, but do not spend too much.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Wow! I like it! I'm sure it looks dated to you close up but it makes for a fabulous photo! Is it just not functioning well for you or is it too worn? I can't tell in the photo. Sorry, don't have a lot of time this morning to read all the feed back. It's very cool. i agree with the comments of others that are working hard to salvage the existing style and maybe do some minor updates. However, consider the cost of a total renovation if you feel there may be deficiencies behind walls. There are some really cool vinyl wallpapers you could combine with a larger tile to give you a pretty similar feel. Check out wallpaperfromthe70's.com. My client's told me about this site several years ago and they have a gallery where customer's show case their reno's/installations. There are some bathrooms featured there. Good Luck! Thank you for posting your photo! KA
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think it looks great and would only change the shower door to a frameless glass version. Maybe a new light in similar linear shape. You could also tile the shower floor in a small white tile but that is more expensive than a standard shower pan. I think the round mirrors are fine.
  • 13 years ago
    maybe square up the mirrors...... I wish my 70s bathrooms looked that great!!! what fun!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    decoenthusiaste, don't use a completely white floor, you will see every hair on it! Use Carrera marble, as I said before, it has some grey in it. 1) it won't be so stark, and 2) it will be a bit more forgiving. AND use it honed, then it won't be so slippery. And a frameless shower enclosure.
  • 13 years ago
    Before you make a decision on bathroom floor tile, spatter water on your favorites and let the water dry. My former cream bathroom tile did not show water spots. My current medium gray tile does. Also, if any family members or pets shed hair, consider how that hair will look on your tile.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I'll remember that! Great pointer! KA
  • 13 years ago
    Before you make any decisions, you should have your existing tile tested for lead. The home we bought had original tile from 1950, and it had a lead glaze. Ours was stable as long as it wasn't disturbed, and yours might be, too. Will you be drilling into it in your remodeling? Find out if that will that be a danger. If you tile has lead, at best, the next buyers will factor that into their bid. At worst, it may be a deal-breaker for an otherwise interested buyer. Anyway, answers to the lead questions will be important factors in your decisions about your bathroom.

    I like the whole house to be cohesive, but some people like differences between rooms. You have to decide where you are at on that. If you kept your red tile, how does it flow with the rest of your house? If you want it to flow, I think you could add red accents throughout the house, do a retro theme throughout the house and/or use an elegant theme throughout.

    And I will leave you with wisdom our contractor shared. "Don't jump over dollars to save pennies." I'm not saying you are. I'm asking you to consult real estate and construction experts that you trust to determine if you will be ahead or behind financially to keep this tile.
  • 13 years ago
    Granite Transformations can do an engineered glass or granite overlay on the floor or shower stall, and it is not that expensive. I assume you are in Italy, and their product is manufactured in Italy and used widely in hotels there. They can do sheets or micro tiles.

    For cleaning badly stained grout, you might try a product called Finazzle. I don't know if it's available there. It smells like vomit (sorry, but it does!) but our builder's messy tile installers got Georgia red clay into the grout on our new tile floors. I hated it for years, and someone suggested Finazzle, and it removed it instantly. Wish I had found it fifteen years earlier! But, OH! that smell!!!!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    We can make the red red shaped tiles. Or any other color! http://www.houzz.com/pro/erone/decorative-pool-tiles
  • 13 years ago
    If I were you I would change the floor into a white porcelain tile and take the tile off all the walls except the one
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Shaped Tiles
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Love these. Saw some antiques like these pool tiles at Uniquities but they were not porcelain. What are these made of and where can I get them?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    www.DecorativePoolTiles.com They are fine for pools or elsewhere. Please contact us for more info.
    Many colors available.