Software
Houzz Logo Print
valecrest

Opinions of Fabric Choice Wanted

10 years ago
My wife and I are purchasing a Basset Custom Upholstery Couch. It is the extra large estate model.

(Will be replacing the Burgundy Leather Couches with the Basset Couches.)


Looking for opinions about the fabric we have selected. We are a little concerned about the pattern on the couch but really like the fabric and how it works with the leather ottoman and the custom area rug already in the room. I realize we will need to adjust the wall color. Thinking of BM HC-32 Standish White.

So would two couches arranged in an "L" shape be overwhelming in that type of pattern? I'm thinking of using a leather piping to help break up the pattern and tie to the ottoman.

Would appreciate and thoughts or suggestions

Thank you...

Comments (23)

  • 10 years ago

    A couch and two seats would work better.

  • 10 years ago

    As a sofa is quite an investment & if you haven't already decided on this particular fabric I would see if you can get a larger sample & see how it looks in the room at various times of day. If you decide to put it on your sofa all the other pieces/elements in the room will have to be plain. I would also suggest just a sofa & two arm chairs will give you more flexibility in the room.

  • 10 years ago

    solid sofa, that fabric for the 2 chairs

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I would have never traded good leather for fabric why not keep the sofas anf get 2 chairs in the fabric it would look great

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Oh no not a large pattern on such a large sofa! Best to go will a neutral tweed of some kind and do pattern in pillows and drapes....that fabric could really look fab as drapes but not a sofa!!! I have 2 sofas facing each other in my family room and love it but if you can't face them than I would do sofa and 2 chairs.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I hope the designers at Basset did not reccomend that fabric for a sofa:(


  • 10 years ago
    Thank you to everyone for you comments. I attached a picture and floor plan to show the room better. We have chosen to go with 2 Couches & 2 Chairs to maximize seating and it seems to just fit the space. The chairs will be replaced in the next few months as well because budget constraints won't allow that at this time.

    We find that the leather couches just do not work for us. I do love the leather sectional we have in our family room though.

    The walls will be repainted to coordinate with whatever the final fabric choice is but the curtains and area rug will remain as they are.
  • 10 years ago
    I'm wondering if it is just that people are not fond of the fabric choice I made or if it's the fabric that is the problem. I would like to see lots of pattern and interest but do not want to spend $4,800 and hate the couches when they arrive.

    I'm attaching a few pictures I found on Houzz that show rooms that I like. Not necessarily the colors I would pick but the type of pattern I though this fabric might resemble. (Some of the colors were distracting enough that I edited the pictures to black & white.)

    I'd appreciate any input that will help me decide if I'm headed in the directions of the photos. I don't understand very well that lots of pattern will not appeal to everyone :)
  • 10 years ago
    Sorry hit submit before I finished adding photos:

    Thanks again for any thoughts or advice...
  • 10 years ago
    This is one other option we were looking at. We would still be going with the Bassett Custom Upholstery but the Large Sectional Pieces.

    Thank you again
  • 10 years ago
    The fabric is beautiful. It has a very large pattern and consequently a very large presence. It is too much for your living room. The large patterns work in your example photos because those rooms have very high high ceilings, lots of woodwork, etc. Perhaps you could use the wonderful fabric for an ottoman with a tray on top plus some stationary curtain panels. You can add more height to your room by putting the curtain rods close to the ceiling. That will help balance out the pattern. Also you might incorporate the soft teal (I think) into your room in the form of pillows, vases, artwork. If you really love the fabric, try to make it work somehow!
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Maybe only use it on your chairs with some coordinating pillows on the sofas?

    I will be honest the rooms you posted look old to me pictures of rooms done maybe in the 80's plus they look like Hugh homes with very high ceiling ..you can still get the feeling of interest with only doing the accent chairs...

  • 10 years ago

    2 chairs in that fabric would fit nicely with the other 2 chairs in the room. You'd then choose a solid colored sofa to coordinate.

  • 10 years ago

    With all of the opinions, go with what you want - now with what others want...We do not live there...Be Happy - Life is too Short!

  • 10 years ago

    That fabric in a sectional will be much worse. The photos of it on the couches look like rooms in the WW11 British Blitz. Exactly what the world was trying to leave behind in the 1950 s : gloom.

  • 10 years ago
    Thank you to everyone for the comments and advice. It helps to understand that the low ceilings and bold patterns aren't a good option. In the future my plan is to open the ceilings up into the attic to get more volume but the structural work involved is beyond the budget at this point.

    I'm definitely struggling with adding the interest my wife would like to have and the calming space I desire.

    We will be looking at other options at both Pottery Barn and Ethan Allen over the weekend.

    I'll add pictures of what we come up with.

    Thank you again...
    The advice has been very helpful
  • 10 years ago
    So this is what we came up with at Pottery Barn. I would appreciate any thoughts before I spend over $6k

    Thanks...
  • 10 years ago
    The sectional would be Nutmeg, the chair would be the lighter leather and the ottoman would be the darker brown. Would be repainting the entire area in Pottery Barn Eggwhite
  • 10 years ago
    I seem to be having technical difficulties and my comment is posting without all the pictures :(
  • 10 years ago

    Before you spend over 6k, I think you should find a pottery barn that has the sectional and sit on it. That is a lot of money to not be happy with how it feels. You do not have to have leather for sofa/sectional, chair and ottoman. I'd switch some stuff up, maybe fabric chairs- this is what makes it interesting.

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks...

    My wife and I did go to the store and liked the feel of the sectional, it would be covered in a fabric. They call it everyday suede which surprisingly is incredibly soft. We did bring samples home and like the way it looks at different times of day. Totally clashes with the current wall color but other than that is pretty cool.
    Do you think the leather chair and ottoman would work ok? I really like the chair and its color.
  • 10 years ago

    Just want to say that we bought a Bassett sectional about 4-5 yrs ago and are so happy with the quality and the wear. Looks like maybe you've changed to PB as your source but I do recommend Bassett, and with the number of fabrics they have I would be surprised if you couldn't find something that you and your wife can agree on. (We went with a basic chocolate brown microsuede, but with some interesting fabric on our pillows plus a different textured brown fabric on ottoman. We worked with a wonderfully helpful salesperson when we made our purchase, although I knew I wanted the brown she really helped me punch it up with the pillows and ottoman.