Software
Houzz Logo Print
mike_voto

Bold Entryway....too much?

10 years ago

My wife and i just moved into a new home. We both like eclectic, off beat things and aren't afraid of a statement...but is this TOO much of a statement? inspiration photo:

Of course, our entry has less interesting architectural elements like the ceiling and slanted walls here. Thinking of a black and tan stripe wallpaper applied horizontally in our two level foyer. Photos of our foyer below (and those light fixtures are going for SURE, as is that carpet on stairs).

Comments (54)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think there is a right way to do it if you downplay all the other elements in the room, also you'd have to figure out how to transition into the other room. You can definitely get a dramatic effect with wallpaper, maybe a larger print

    Mike Voto thanked Kroesser + Strat Design LLC
  • 10 years ago

    a larger print may be the way to go. We both just really like the inspiration photo, but knew it would be polarizing. Hate to have guests having seizures upon entry.

  • 10 years ago

    Migraine trigger!

    I think for a look like your inspo pic symmetry and simplicity in the architecture is a must. With all the different angles and planes, stairs, doors, etc. in your home the effect doesn't have room to expand and will look like a choppy mess.

    Maybe the stripes could work in the library depending on the room layout, with a different bold or dark color that matches in the entrance.

    Mike Voto thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • 10 years ago
    Maybe thin stripes on just one wall or bottom half and large on top
    Mike Voto thanked Danielle Black
  • 10 years ago
    I would remove the carpet from the stairs and give those a funky makeover. The stairs are probably the first things you see when you open the door correct? You could make a major statement with those! Best of luck with your new home!
    Mike Voto thanked Tamayre Madlem-Paulk
  • 10 years ago

    Maybe take a color you like from the oriental rug in the library and paint the entrance walls that color, with black trim and the stair runner I posted above ^ Are you planning to do anything in the living room? Right now it looks minimalist, so if you go bold/eclectic in the entrance it will look unfinished.

  • 10 years ago
    Love that picture that Lindsey just posted! Something like that on the stairs would look great. I also love the light fixture and round table in the inspiration picture that you posted. Maybe draw from those to get something fabulous?
    Mike Voto thanked Val B
  • 10 years ago
    I'd do the ceiling with the striped wallpaper, and paint the stair rails and spindles, the doors, and the trim black. Some metal or mirrored furniture, and a crystal chandelier to decorate.
    Mike Voto thanked teamaltese
  • 10 years ago

    Lindsey, the living room is minimalist as we need more seating, as well as art hung, and likely paint. I like your idea for the library, and yes, definitely planning to do a great runner on stairs. Maybe safer place to put stripes. and love the idea of the ceiling with striped wallpaper, teamaltese!


  • 10 years ago
    Here's a few ideas
    Mike Voto thanked Danielle Black
  • 10 years ago

    I love that you are wanting something creative and bold. I get so depressed by the eternal sameness of most modern homes.

  • 10 years ago

    Recently saw a 'steampunk' house which would blend probably [with that wp].

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Casual Staircase Runner · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    You don't need stripes to be bold.

    Mike Voto thanked emmarene9
  • 10 years ago

    .... going boldly where .... never gone before! :)

  • 10 years ago

    your inspiration pic doesnt involve a staircase, which really changes things. save this treatment for a stand alone room.

    Mike Voto thanked Judy Mishkin
  • 10 years ago

    nice house! In a smaller space think that would be quite amazing! I think you could go with stripes but more subdued.

    Atlanta Home · More Info


    Tunbridge Residence · More Info

    thought something along these lines would look kinda cool in your house

    EcoBungalow-LA · More Info

    Transitional Entry · More Info



    Entry · More Info

    Classic Six - Entry · More Info
    and check this out - if you go for the bold stripes hope you have a staircase to basement as well!
    Hamptons Foundation Designer Showhouse - Glen Cove · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    I love everything mzapper posted except that last pic of the basement stairs. I would get dizzy and fall down those stairs sure as shootin'. Lololol

  • 10 years ago

    haha it was a joke!

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    ^Please tell me that's Photoshop run amok...

    I'm gonna have to leave this thread if this insanity doesn't stop, I wasn't kidding about the migraine thing :/

  • 10 years ago

    Lindsey, my hubby gets migraines, I don't want you to get one. Press on "click to switch off notifications about new comments" below.

  • 10 years ago

    I wish that had created a link!

    No, I'll be ok. I thought after that I sounded a little bratty. I just sort of don't actually look at the pics while I scroll down. It would be infinitely worse in real life, but since I don't have to live in a striped house I can just avert my eyes.

  • 10 years ago

    mzapper, love some of that wallpaper! and yes, lindsey, we like things to be interesting. Boring and the sameness of it all....worse than going too far IMO. Hope your head stays well

  • 10 years ago

    Mike - some nice stuff on this site - post up pics once your done please - might inspire me to put some up!

    https://www.grahambrown.com

    Mike Voto thanked mzapper
  • 10 years ago

    I dunno. I think it's kinda cool. You'd have to change that stair rail, though.

    And be sure you get a better paper hanger than me.

    Mike Voto thanked groveraxle
  • 10 years ago

    Grover is correct to run the stripes sideways.

  • 10 years ago
    Just find a different statement wallpaper. There are really cool watercolo style papers out there. And just really cool papers in general. Keep everything else in entry simple including stair railing. I adore a creative wallpapered entry. Very chic
    Mike Voto thanked shiningautumn8
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    ..it will not work! I can see part of your kitchen and it has white traditional cabinets...it just wouldn't fit......your home looks so traditional...it would be like trying to put a square into a circle....the architecture must be unique to have the results you see in your inspiration picture.

    not to say you can't add some interest....just keep in mind the traditional architecture of your home....I think you could do a very transitional wallpaper with eclectic decor...

    Mike Voto thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • 10 years ago
    I think your foyer needs a wild makeover too!
    Mike Voto thanked sunnydrew
  • 10 years ago
    I'm afraid this won't work in your space Mike! You can however get lots of drama in your beautiful foyer with added trim and a bold black and white color scheme. Some of the carpet runners shown above are great! I do love horizontal stripes myself. If you still want to try that in another more self contained room then larger stripes in a softer color combo are very chic and easier on the eye!
    Mike Voto thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • 10 years ago

    Take the easy way out. You can still be bold.


  • 10 years ago
    You don't need wallpaper at all to create a bold statement. How about this stairway & foyer from the 1998 movie "The Parent Trap"?
    Mike Voto thanked hollybegonia
  • 10 years ago

    I'm not sure if there is such a thing as 'too bold' in décor. And if there is - I don't think your inspiration pic falls into that category. It's unquestionably a bold design, though - and really is one of those "I could care less what anyone thinks about this - I like it" - designs. If you have reservations about it - it may not be for you. But if you really love it - go for it!

    Mike Voto thanked freedomplace1
  • 10 years ago

    Yes, too much.

  • 10 years ago

    Did you know they sell coordinated wallpapers? One to go above the chair rail and one below? Here is an example although I admit it is very boring.

    I'm sure you could find a more interesting mix.

    Mike Voto thanked emmarene9
  • 10 years ago

    groveraxle, thanks for your magic. helps me envision it which i'm not always great at. there are lots of amazing ideas here. really appreciate all of the help and advice. the rest of the house is traditional, but not much has been done to it in 25 years. the kitchen is begging for a makeover, which you can be assured won't be traditional when done. But we're going to have to live with it for a while, so need to keep balance in mind. again, really appreciate all of the help.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    The inspiration photo is from House Beautiful. They are handpainted stripes. I can only imagine how much time and $ that took.

    Great design starts with taking a risk. But, I agree with others that the stripes may be too much with the stairs and two-story foyer. I'd be bold yet keep it traditional by choosing a richly textured grasscloth type vinyl paper in a navy or gray.

    I'd remove the chair rail in the entry.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    ah i thought i'd remembered seeing it. i love House Beautiful, it always makes me drool a bit outside of my box.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    To the houzzer that called Grover a magician with photoshop


  • 10 years ago
    My advice after 23 years in my home -- live in the home for a while before investing mega bucks. You'll see what you really need and want. Congratulations on your new home! I wish you all the best. Glad that you are brave!
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think without the angeled walls that plain stripe looks like a prison jumpsuit:(

  • 10 years ago

    Labracababrador: the next boutique breed.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm sure Grover could photoshop a boutique!

  • 10 years ago

    If anyone could it would be groveraxle! It could be a labracadabradoodle for those with allergies...

  • 10 years ago

    Quick, buy the domain site name for her, before it gets snapped up.

  • 10 years ago

    Labracadabrador! Labracadabradoodle! You guys are too funny. I love the look on the face of the dog on the right.

  • 10 years ago

    The same look my daughter has at my jokes.

  • 10 years ago

    Thinking of you:

    Entryway. · More Info