Software
Houzz Logo Print
rachaeld

2 vs 3 pendant lights over kitchen island

10 years ago

We're in the middle of giving our new kitchen a make over. We've painted the walls in Sherwin Williams Sea Salt, the cabinets in Pure White, and now we're working on updating the lighting. We're taking out the huge florescent ceiling light, adding 4-6 canned lights and want to put pendants over the island and a separate pendant over the kitchen sink. Trying to decide if we should do 2 or 3 above the island, and if we should do the same pendant above the kitchen sink or do a coordinating but different design there. Thoughts?

Comments (34)

  • 10 years ago

    I think two above your island should be fine and I'd use the same over the sink, too.

    rachaeld thanked Kris Mays
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hard to tell by pictures. Island looks fairly large. I think the island is the star of the show in your kitchen. So i would consider 3 over island and a can over sink. That would keep island focal point.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Just don't hang the pendants too high. Common mistake.
  • 10 years ago

    I'd lean toward doing two pendants on the island, at the corners of the front face, and then a coordinating fixture over the sink, but I'd go with something closer to semiflush because the ceiling is so much lower right at that spot.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    What is the height of the ceiling at the island? I still think 3 pendants fit nicely one centered over each end piece and one in the center of the whole thing. No drama with semi flush so unless that ceiling is 7' at that point, pendants are the best bet. I'm guessing it is at least 8' at that point. I could be wrong. But if it is 8' that's 96". Take 30" off for the island height and that leaves 66", take 33" off for height from counter top, maybe a few more say 36" that leaves 2' or 24' drop which is plenty. So, tell us what the ceiling height is at the island and we can go from there. Do you have a particular pendant in mind? Another option might be just one pendant for islands that extends along the front plane of the island centered of course. Something "cage" like and open might be nice. Just another option.

  • 10 years ago
    That is a very good size island, I would do two big or three small and then find one from the same collection for above the sink.
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for everyone's ideas! The lowest part of the ceiling is 8 ft, the highest part is 12 feet at the peak of the vault, so over the island is probably between 9-10 feet. Nice and high. I'm struggling between picking something simple and modern, or something a little more ornate and unique. I'm doing a "coastal cottage" theme with the home colors and decor- but nothing too antiqued or aged looking. We'll also be replacing the lighting over the dining room table- but not for a few months.

  • 10 years ago
    I think it looks much better to do 2 medium to large sized pendants over island versus 3 dinky ones. A large lanterm style would look great. Then do a coordinating not matching light over sink. I agree your dining room light needs updating as well
  • 10 years ago
    Have you thought about doing some open shelving in a small area? To me that kitchen has an iver abundance of cabinets which is dating it. Might help the overall look
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    shininga, that is a darn good point! Perhaps taking the cabinet on top of the refrigerator and moving it out into the room a foot and then taking the cabinets to the left of the refrigerator and painting them a gray tone to match the backsplash. Turning this area more into an homage to a butlers pantry or bar area with an under counter wine rack??

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Here are a couple ideas for your island lighting.

    Madeira Coastal Beach Recycled Glass Float Pendant · More Info
    this light is kind of beachy but at the same time, sophisticated.

  • PRO
    10 years ago



    Hammered Glass 1 Light Pendant, Bronze, Mercury Glass, 5"x10" · More Info

    Currey and Company Regatta Pendant · More Info
    A bit dressier and shell like look beachy but not kitchy.

  • PRO
    10 years ago


    Orbital 1-Light Pendant, Polished Chrome · More Info
    A little more contemporary look. Enjoy!

  • PRO
    10 years ago


    Industrial Pendant, Mercury · More Info
    Mercury glass is a very nice light look you might enjoy.

  • 10 years ago

    Flo picked some great choices. I love the mercury glass. If you pick small globes, you could probably do 3. If you pick the larger ones, do 2. And yes you could a smaller, similar looking pendant over the sink.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    It is purely preference. You can see below there are two different designs of ours, one with 4 and one with 2 pendants.

    Issaquah Kitchen · More Info

    Issaquah Modern · More Info

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    If you go with two on the island, you can go bigger on each of those and smaller on the one over the sink area. Here are a couple more. There are so many to choose from and I love lighting, so hope I don't overload youl

    Thomasville Lighting Equinox 4-Light Foyer in Burnished Silver · More Info
    This is nice look and priced very reasonably. I believe this also comes in a smaller size.

  • PRO
    10 years ago


    Traditional Larkin Chandelier Foyer, Brushed Nickel · More Info
    This is interesting lantern type light. Nice to "see through". You can get these in black too, but I kind of like the brushed nickel, even though you have the dark cabinet hardware. Just softer with your paint color and white cabinets.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    You will have to decide on sizes of the larger fixtures. I just selected "entry" types because they are larger. That way 2 work on island. I think I still prefer 3 over your island due to its size. Smaller 4th one over the sink.

  • PRO
    10 years ago


    Sea Gull Lighting 5231 Three Light Hall Foyer Pendant · More Info
    These are very economically priced. You can use as a ceiling or chain. You would need the ceiling, but then could be ceiling over the sink. Not my favorite choice, but more thinking about budget.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    If you wanted to be different, you could do something like one long rectangular fixture something like this.

    Barton Creek West · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    What a nice kitchen and so much storage! The island could do five smaller pendants. With the pitched ceiling smaller simpler lights will look best. I wouldn't put a pendant over the sink. You won't get the task lighting you want. A couple of can there. Really if you weren't so set on pendants, I would say your kitchen is the perfect type for all cans.

  • PRO
    10 years ago


    Golden Lighting 4214-9 EB Chandelier In Etruscan Bronze · More Info
    Or just one big one over island.

  • 10 years ago

    Love the Mercury Glass! That's probably my favorite so far. You guys are amazing, thank you so much for all the advice and suggestions! We have an electrician coming in a couple of days to help us plan everything out and make a final choice so I want to be prepared.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Great! Yes, I think the Mercury glass would be beautiful. And, they look great in the daytime and beautiful when lite at night. I would get the island ones on a dimmer so you can control for evening or get together. There are also companion pieces you could use for that dining area when you are ready.
  • 9 years ago

    Oh it's done and it turned out amazing!!! We did 2 pendants over the island and a can light over the sink. If you want to see the whole make over you can check it out on my blog! http://www.rachaelsbooknook.net/coastal-home-kitchen-makeover-reveal-white-cabinets/

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Congrats! Are the pendants Mercury Glass? Could you tell us who makes them. They look great! I do wish there were 3 there though, but hey, overall you did an amazing job. Now enjoy it!!

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks! I got them from the Lighting Specialists. The pendants are double layered with mercury glass on the inside and a clear glass on the outside. I actually much preferred it to plain mercury glass which was a little too busy when I saw it in person, but toned down with the second layer it is just stunning! http://lightingspecialists.com/brand-kichler/mini-pendant-1lt/sku-V2-43625ni

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Thanks - I really like those. I will add to my "examples book". Appreciate your sharing. Kitchen looks really nice.

  • 8 years ago

    What height did you end up putting your island lights? How far from the island to bottom of the light?


  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Since it's in the center of the kitchen, it's better to go for an airy look with clear or white glass, and not too large pendants, so three will look better than two.

    You can have 3 single pendants over the island and a small cluster of the same style over the sink.

    In Galilee lighting we offer lighting solutions for a slanted ceiling, we carry beautiful lighting designs made of hand blown glass in any size or length.

    If you would like to receive our catalog by email and get more ideas, contact Sales@GalileeLighting.com or
    visit www.GalileeLighting.com

    We offer free design consultation, to design the perfect size of chandelier for your space.

    Call us 305-807-8711.

    MODERN KITCHEN LIGHTING, CONTEMPORARY KITCHEN PENDANT LIGHTING · More Info

    REFLECTION TWIGS - CONTEMPORARY BLOWN GLASS GLOBE PENDANT LIGHTING · More Info

    MODERN VILLA KITCHEN LIGHTING · More Info

    REFLECTION | MODERN DINING CHANDELIER, CONTEMPORARY LARGE DINING CUSTOM CHANDELI · More Info

    Galilee Lighting · More Info

    MODERN DINING ROOM CHANDELIER, MODERN PENDANT LIGHT FOR DINING ROOM · More Info

    RAIN DROPS CHANDELIER by GALILEE LIGHTING · More Info

    PEARL SHELL modern white chandelier BY GALILEE LIGHTING · More Info

    SNOW | CUSTOM BLOWN GLASS LED PENDANT LIGHTING - CONTEMPORARY MULTI LEVEL LIGHTI · More Info


  • 8 years ago

    Galilee Lighting,,,please read before posting/advertising your lighting,,again. This is from October and her last comment stated she already purchased her pendants.

  • 8 years ago
    Galilee Lighting thank you for the suggestions that most of us can use!