Software
Houzz Logo Print
carolyniarrera

Suggestions to modernize a trad living room.Pls

9 years ago
I am 3/4 of the way to decorating my living room. Everything in the living room except for the mirror and the painting are from a previous house. I was going to try for a more modern look but it seems i couldn't go there. I would have liked to change the rug to add more color but i cant right now and plus i love the rug and dont have anywhere else to put it. I dont want a nice room. I want a spectacular room. Any suggestions?

Comments (41)

  • 9 years ago

    The room seems a little off balance. Try scooting the sofa in toward the coffee table so it's feet are more on the rug. The sofa and the chairs should be the same distance from the fireplace. Coffee table centered also with the middle of the fireplace.

  • 9 years ago

    What a great painting. Is it centered between the two chairs? Hard to tell from the angle of the picture but it needs to be just in between the two chairs.

  • 9 years ago
    When I saw your room, I thought perhaps a bold color like purple for the walls.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    One other observation. The stacked tables with the plant don't belong by the fireplace.

    You have fabulous furniture and just a few tweeks will make a subtle but big difference.

  • 9 years ago
    It would provide a modern twist.
  • 9 years ago
    Here are some ideas
  • 9 years ago
    More ideas
  • 9 years ago
    I love the mirror. Any chance you could get an identical mirror and hang both on either side of the fireplace, I think the light from the lamp reflection will make the room seem big and give it that wow factor. You could hang something bold on the fireplace wall.
  • 9 years ago
    I dont want to go for purple because i need to keep the rug but i was thinking maybe a soft aqua? I am resenting the room with the changes.
  • 9 years ago
    The couch looks better drawn in. Thanks. Can you color the room palladium blue?
  • 9 years ago
    I ant get another mirror. This is from very long ago. But that would have looked great
  • 9 years ago
    Additional ideas. You might remove the two tables and put a mirrored chest on either side of the fireplace.
  • 9 years ago

    It is a great room already! To elevate it to the next level, I would change the coffee table for something more sculptural. Also there needs to be something on both sides of the fireplace to frame it. Maybe metal open back shelves or identical credenzas, and so on. I would look for different lamps, yours are beautiful, but too neutral and visually not stimulating for a living room. This is were you can go bolder with the colorful lamps. At least I would switch the shades to black. You have a great start with art!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    If you want it to be more contemporary, lose the mirror. Move the art over the fireplace...not the mirror. Place the end table with lamp between the two chairs. And yes,. Agree about the plant and tables by the fireplace. Just doesn't work.

  • 9 years ago
    You have many duplicate posts on this. Before I realized that, on one of them I also suggested moving the art over the mantle in place of the traditional mirror which doesn't appear to be reflecting anything.
  • 9 years ago
    Sorry. Ive never posted anything before and i thought it didnt work the first time
  • 9 years ago
    Someone is supposed to come and angle the mirror next week so that there is more reflected. I brought the couches in. I agree with the coffee table, lamps, and something to frame the fireplace. Depending on what i am able to find at least one, if not two of those suggestions will be followed. But I dont know how to recolour the room. My dining room is nearby and it is also white with yellow and taupey grey. So i cant go too dark.
  • 9 years ago
    Can someone recolour a soft aqua? Because that is what i was thinking. Even though I think it might clash with my dining room
  • 9 years ago
    Also, any suggestions for the more sculptural coffee table. Because I like that idea
  • 9 years ago

    something like these for a coffee table




  • 9 years ago
    In aqua
  • 9 years ago
    I love the first round coffee table. Where is it from?
  • 9 years ago
    I'm downloading the Color snap visualizer now.
  • 9 years ago

    The first one is by Arterior homes Brampton coffee table

  • 9 years ago
    More ideas
  • 9 years ago
    Im going to take pics of the hall and dining room tomorrow because im starting to like your purple but im not sure it will work with the rest. Im getting scared of liking your purple. Lol.thanks
  • 9 years ago
    I love Beverly's first picture with the sunburst mirrors. Perhaps you could bring in purple with pillows and a throw.
  • 9 years ago
    I like it too.
  • 9 years ago

    If you paint the room dark color your painting will have to go. It will not look good in that spot anymore since it is very dark as well.

  • 9 years ago
    I like your room and I love the painting. Look into highlighting it with an art light. I think that will make it even more of a showstopper.
  • 9 years ago
    Im not going to go there. I had actually been thinking about a sea salt type color. But tomorrow ill add the hall and dining room because its all connected and then maybe you guys can give me more advice. Because its been fabulous and the possibilities are endless. Goodnight night, night owls.
  • 9 years ago
    I just bought the painting. I had seen it 4 years ago and there was an opportunity that came up last week that gave me the chance to purchase it. It is by an artist called Paul Bourgeault. So I started rearranging the living room to make room for it. I love it actually but I hadn't planned on it
  • 9 years ago
    I thought the sw sea salt or palladium blue bm might brighten the room and make the painting stand out. But im happy with the white room
  • 9 years ago
    It is only paint. I actually had a purple living room and it was fun. I personally get tired of all the tan, grey, beige and greige. If you tire of it, you simply paint it again. I'm putting a deep purple color into my master bedroom.
  • 9 years ago
    Here are some fun purple chairs. The chest and chairs are from Horchow.
  • 9 years ago
    Is the painting by Paul too large to go over the fireplace?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I have tried to add a soft aqua to the room and thought you might want to see how the room appears if you move the painting. I personally think the room needs the sparkle the mirror provides over the FP.

  • 9 years ago

    I would paint the room a soft, light olive green. It would bring out that color in your rug, and coordinate with everything else, but help warm up the space.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Are you going to keep the shades on the windows?

    Why not switch them with a pair of custom Belgian linen curtains? If you choose a soft top (rod pocket) style and white curtains, it would immediately make the room seem more contemporary/transitional.

    If you go with light aqua walls, you could match them to the wall color like with a Belgian flax linen in Spruce, or contrast with a Belgian flax linen in Optic White, which would also modernize the space.

    You can order free fabric swatches to see the best fit for your living room!


  • 9 years ago
    There is a box covering a really ugly hot water heater under the window. So I put up those blinds because I couldn't put drapes that went to the floor. I thought of adding drapes on the side of the shade anyway but they won't be floor length