Software
Houzz Logo Print
sdwolk

At a loss

9 years ago
What granite goes well with absolute black honed? I have honey oak cabinets and island. Sunset ash oak floors being installed soon. The absolute black honed will be on the perimeter but not sure what to put with it on the island. It's an L shaped island 6'2 X 5'1.

Comments (23)

  • 9 years ago

    Why wouldn't you use the same granite on the island?

  • 9 years ago
    Because It's a personal preference
  • 9 years ago
    Many granite color go well with Absolute Black. It would be a personal preference. I would imagine something that goes well with the cabinets and floor.......
  • 9 years ago
    Googled ALOT of kitchens with your mentioned cabinets and counters. They all showed the same counter for the island as the perimeter when in wood toned kitchens. That said, how about these: 1st is Supreme Silver, 2nd is Cosmic Black. Both expensive and fragile compared to Absolute Black. Might have special considerations when installing and upkeep. I like them both because they either tie into your perimeter counters and the most expensive, Cosmic Black ties into your cabinets also.
  • 9 years ago

    None of that busy stone will work with the busy grain of honey oak. A plain cream nonpattern quartz would help to tone down the pattern overload between the oak and the ash. Unless you are thinking of painting your cabinets? Or, just us the same stone. And be sure to add under cabinet lighting. All dark counters need under cabinet lighting.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Granite can go well with black.

  • 9 years ago
    You are right live_wire_oak! For some reason I googled maple cabinets, not oak. Must be because it was waaaay past my bed time. So therefore, I would stick with the Absolute Black for the island or as suggested a simple quartz.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Honey oak cabinets don't suggest the glitz of a busy granite or one with a lot of movement.. Stick with the black on both, and avoid the over design..

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Jan Moyer: your right Jan, I agree. Today I went back to the fabricators suggested supplier and decided to stay some what simple. Looking at a granite, quartz and backsplash choice. Venezia Quartz on the Island with Jet Mist honed Granite on perimeter counters, multi shaded Iced Grey honed marble subway tile backsplash with light grey grout, will paint the island medium to sorta dark grey, Glass Cabinet doors on both sides of the Farm sink, Sunset Ash hardwood floors, pendant lights which I haven't chosen yet, door pulls and handles not chosen yet and a smokey grey tile in the laundry room, guest half bath and hallway.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Jan Moyer: These are the colors.

    This is a close up of the Jet Mist and it will be honed.

  • 9 years ago

    Jan Moyer, do you think I could do a honed absolute bulk on perimeter and the Venezia Quartz on island with a light grey subway splash?

  • 9 years ago

    I think you are in big danger of pattern overload here. More is not more. Less is more. Use the same stone on both.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Jan and Live_wire offer sage advice. Indecision is an indication of trying to do too much in one space. The mind is strained with too many conflicting patterns and colors. Elegance is most always simple. Save the complex for a piece or art to stand on its own.
    sdwolk thanked Home Ideations LLC
  • 9 years ago

    Go light with the island. Don't pick another dark granite to go with the absolute black. That doesn't make sense.

  • 9 years ago

    One more bit of advice. Don't let the granite people talk you into the 4" black backsplash. You will need only a tile backsplash no 4". Tile will go from cabinet to counter.

    And I'm wondering if it wouldn't look better to have a black island and a lighter perimeter? Is it too late to consider that option?

  • 9 years ago

    It's not too late for anything. I feel like I'm right back to where I started. When my husband found out it would be $3,000 to get the cabinets painted he said I couldn't do it. So I'm back to old oak cabinets but I hate the look of all the honey oak with the brown and green and tan granites of yester year. The only way I feel I can stay somewhat up to date that will still look good is to do the honed bulk absolute, or maybe a soap stone. I love the Carrara Marble too but will it look good with honey oak?


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    3K would be a cheap paint job for cabinets. Basically house paint slapped on with insufficient prep. A quality durable job would start at about double that. And be totally worth it over getting granite if you want to update your kitchen. Putting gorgeous exotic stone on top of old oak cabinets like that is a big head scratcher. It's not an appropriate priority. Either put in new laminate, or paint the cabinets and keep the current counters.

    sdwolk thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Oh I sooo agree! I have said exactly yo hubby. Like putting lipstick on a pig!!!!

  • 9 years ago

    The best I can hope for since he already took the counters off is to get something like the Carrara marble and paint next year.

  • 9 years ago

    Marble will etch and potentially stain. You have to love that about it.

    Marble patina · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    If your husband won't "let" you spend money on the kitchen, yet rips off thecountertops to be unusable as it is, then it's time to stop using the kitchen entirely. Or anything else that benefits him. He isn't being a partner. Time for him to appreciate that partnership and how it benefits him. If reason won't do it, a strike might.

  • 9 years ago

    Already started... :)


Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County