Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stellis621

Shutters or no Shutters

stellis621
7 years ago

Hi, we recently did a renovation on our 1941 colonial adding a new garage and bedrooms/hallway above the garage. We extended the rafters on the 'old' house and replaced all the clapboard and trim to match the new addition. Our original house on the right had black shutters. We ordered black hinged double paneled shutters with S hooks.

Now that the renovation is complete we are not sure if we put the shutters on the 'old' house it will work with the new addition. Should we put shutters on 'old' area only? I know traditionally the garage windows would not receive shutters but should we add them to balance the house? Will the new area look too stark with all the color on the 'old' house? And if we add to the house do we need to add to the sides as well or only the front. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (43)

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    7 years ago

I vote for putting the shutters on all the windows except the triple one over the garage.

• Alan McGoldrick
    7 years ago

Your home is lovely! Nice addition! Go for it. I'd shutter the "old" house first and step back, consider the garage. I am not a huge fan of shutters on a triple window unit. I would shutter the sides of the house if you are on a corner lot or your house stands proud of your neighbors. If not, no need.

• PRO
    Abbie Jacobson Design&Decoration
    7 years ago

Love shutters! I suggest adding them on the garage as well. I think painting them red to match the door would be a great accent color and asset to your lovely home.

• lefty47
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

HI -- I love the all white look ... very current . Perhaps just paint the front eve trim on the entrance roof to black and then see what that looks like . It might be all the house needs . I don't see the need to add shutters .. If you decide to do shutters do not match to the front door . The front door color should stand alone.

• PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    7 years ago

I think the windows on the main body of the house are undersized... I guess shutters are an option there.

• chloebud
    7 years ago

So nice! I would add shutters to the 5 windows in the old area, for sure.

The new triple window is too large for them. That just leaves the window above the white door. You have room there for appropriately sized shutters, but I'm wondering if it would make that small area look too closed in...?

One thing to remember when it comes to shutter size...each shutter should be half the width of the window.

Would love to see an after photo!

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

Existing home black shutters. New small window in second story addition, yes, not on garage triple window.

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

Put them everywhere but the triple window. Consider painting the white door black or red so it doesn't get lost.

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

That door needs to stay lost since it isn't the entry door.

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

I bet it gets more traffic than the entry door.

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

Maybe, but most folks don't want their guests to come to the family entrance.

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

Guess its 'cause I live in the south, but the saying here is "Back door guests are the best." Many families will tell you it is rare to have people come to the front door. Usually those who do are evangelists or sales people.

• Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

http://www.houzz.com/photos/query/white-and-black-shutters/nqrwns

Farm House · More Info
    yes shutters, yes to leaving middle door white

• emmarene9
    7 years ago

What a nice addition you built. I would never imagine it was not the original design.

stellis621 thanked emmarene9
  • stellis621
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for all the nice comments and suggestions. Have virtual shutters for further review.

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

Well, you did a photo of everything except what I suggested.I would absolutely NOT put them on the triple window. There is no way to appropriately hang shutters on that window.

All others are fine for shutters.

• stellis621
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• chloebud
    7 years ago

No to triple windows...the rest looks great.

Not sure about this...would like to hear opinions about some black hardware and/or lights on the garage door?

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

I think that one or just shutters on the original house both look good.

• acm
    7 years ago

I like option #1.

• Danielle Black
    7 years ago
    Yes to shutters
  • Kris Mays
    7 years ago

Yes, chloebud. Good ideas!

• Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago
    looks great what about painting trim black and yes to adding black lanterns to garage
  • Thierry Nightbird
    7 years ago

I'd say shutters, but over the garage window add a nice ornamental, scroll up in the arch of that roof

• PRO
    Beverly Anderson Interior Design
    7 years ago

I like shutters and think black would look good.

• Betty Webb
    7 years ago

All shutters, I like #3. It balances the house.

• Katelyn Fay
    7 years ago

I just graduated in interior design and I like the windows all having shutters. I believe it makes the house showcase the most it has to offer and pulls it altogether. Good luck.

• Micaela Corzo
    7 years ago
    Your home is great. You can come and discuss it with me ( because i have a lot of them that are new)
  • lanettec1
    7 years ago
    Shutters!
  • Mary Walker
    7 years ago

No shutters

• geo55
    7 years ago
    I think it will look best if all the windows have shutters.
  • Kris Mays
    7 years ago

Katelyn, they forgot to teach you the shutter rule.

• Susan Capomacchia
    7 years ago

Shutters on single windows only..not double ones..

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    7 years ago

Black hardware on garage and black carriage lights would balance out the black on the shutters nicely. Love your house!

• PRO
    Annie Santulli Designs
    7 years ago

Definitely all shutters!

• Fred Wasson
    7 years ago
    As a rule I only had shutters that would at least appear operable.
    If you could do it over again adding some low detail pieLaster's on the corners of the main house would add more interest and take up more space.
  • Beverly Aguirre
    7 years ago

I say shutters. only in front

• Erica Danielle
    7 years ago

Maybe you'd want to look into spraying those shutters white? Also, no to triple, yes to everything else.

• PRO
    Gailani Designs Inc.
    7 years ago

Yes for shutters, not for the garage opening.

• loudon1
    7 years ago
    Yes! Shutters would look amazing!
  • katinparadise
    7 years ago

Count me in on those who say shutters everywhere except the triple window. Black lights on the garage and carriage hardware are a great idea! To my eye, your triple window almost gives the same feeling as having shutters

• PRO
    The De-Clutter Box Organizing, Staging, & Moving
    7 years ago

I saw yes to shutters even on triple window ...ties the whole house together and adds balance.