Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pdaniels2013

Need opinions on this tile job

pdaniels2013
7 years ago

Having our bathroom fully remodeled, with subway tiles in the bath area. The contractor did the tiles himself and I don't feel he did a very good job. One area in particular (first photo) was just terrible and after trying to tell us that we wouldn't be able to see it because of the shower door placement, he agreed that it was bad and is re-doing it. My question is on the rest of it. The right-hand wall is stellar. The center wall is imperfect, but I don't know how much perfection to demand. So the poll is, would you ask the contractor to re-do the center wall (picture 2).

Comments (27)

• acm
    7 years ago

Let me guess -- this was not a standard big-box-store field tile...

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

That's really bad. Definitely a redo. I see problems on all walls.

Graham

• Judy Mudd
    7 years ago
    If those are regular flat subway tiles, I would not accept it. An experienced contractor wouldn't let that happen and if he is not experienced, he should subcontract.
  • pdaniels2013
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm not sure what that means. It came from "the tile store". We actually asked about getting more expensive tile and our contractor convinced us that there was no reason to pay more for white subway tile. If it looks terrible to everyone and it's likely because the tile is poor quality, I would pay for new tile.

• pdaniels2013
    Original Author
    7 years ago

^^ that comment was to acm

• Tanya Atanasova
    7 years ago

instantly fired lol. If you did it yourself.. then you should have known better to leave to the professionals.

• lhutch13
    7 years ago
    We are DIY and do our own tiling and it's never looked that bad. No way I'd pay for that job.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Redo. That is not minor imperfections, it looks like an 8th grader did it. The first time you tried to clean it, you would be cursing yourself and the contractor. Or when you bump your elbow on it and cut yourself on the rough edge. Better to handle it now.

• suedonim75
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would make him re-do it. What is going on with the faucet handle? Did he tile around it, instead of installing it over the tile?

And I'm sorry that you are having to deal with all of this.

• PRO
    The Cook's Kitchen
    7 years ago

I see he did the niche totally incorrectly as well. The atrocious installation leads one to question the actual construction of the shower behind the tile. What waterproofing system did he use? Because that one pic with the wall partially tiled does not seem to have any waterproofing.

• pdaniels2013
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Linda, thank you for your comment. I will ask him what waterproofing he did.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

Anyone care to make a prediction on the waterproofing question? If I zoom in on the niche it looks to be constructed with pieces of wood and the tiles are set in direct contact.

Graham

• PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    7 years ago

Wow. I am speechless!

• PRO
    Presidio Tile & Stone
    7 years ago

I hope he was licensed and you have some kind of recourse. This looks like a bad tile job all the way around. Waterproofing does not look right at the niche, which would leave one to believe it's wrong everywhere. Nothing is plumb. No bullnose used at niche, so you have exposed edges. I was disagree that even the right wall is good. From your photos I can see a lot of lippage there as well. Do not accept this work.

• pdaniels2013
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Graham, he told me the backer board is waterproof and that he used teflon tape at the joints. But I'm seeing online that it's best practice to add the elastomer paint, so I will follow up on that. The niche is a prefab- it looks like plastic. The weird thing at the niche is that it is bull nosed, I had the same reaction- that it looks so rough, but the tiles are actually curved. Just poorly set? Many thanks to everyone for all these insights.

• pdaniels2013
    Original Author
    7 years ago

^^ Plus silicon at the joints.

• PRO
    Motto Interior Design
    7 years ago

Terrible job. Would definitely get someone else to redo.

• Judy Mudd
    7 years ago
    Per my previous comment, I've looked at subway tile recently and found there is a new style that is "curved." If that is what you have, it's understandable how it looks. It may have needed to be laid out in a wave pattern. After seeing your pics, I'm glad I didn't go that route with mine!
  • pdaniels2013
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Judy, they are in fact flat :-(

• Michaela Shipman
    7 years ago

I work in the tile industry and this whole installation is bad. I am so sorry you have to go through this, but I definitely think having him re-do it now will save you time/money/problems in the future.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Or have someone else redo it...

• M E
    7 years ago

I would not allow that contractor back in my house. To do such a horrible job and then make an excuse that the area wouldn't be seen is ridiculous. Count your losses and move on. You will regret it if you continue trying to work with someone who's is so incapable.

• pdaniels2013
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OP here. We had our contractor tear it all out and have a sub contractor re-do the job. It's much improved, but still not perfect. A couple of glaring errors. What to do now? Refuse to pay for it and hire someone else? I'm baffled cause this seems so straightforward to me. How did tile guys manage to screw this up? Anyway, need advice. Thanks!

• Paddy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

pdaniels2013, it's still a bad job...I don't know what the issue is here, but it really looks like the tile itself isn't flat. And the niche still looks bad. And the tiler doesn't seem to know how to grout his way out of a paper bag - the corner is really bad. Our new house was completed this summer - here are some pics of what a good job looks like. Quite ordinary flat white subway tile. We used a light gray grout, however, but still - it's flat. Your tiles look tilted - like either they're not completely flat or the installer is terrible. Also he should have done a better job of choosing where to put the niche. Sorry to see what you're going through - but I'd refuse to pay for this if I were you. 3rd time lucky? I'd hire someone recommended by the tile store/someone you really trust and whose work you can actually see before hiring.

• gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Was he/she drunk?
  • calidesign
    7 years ago

Get ALL your money back and hire an entirely new contractor. I've never seen such shoddy work. Take them to small claims court with the pictures if they won't give you a full refund. Then report them to your state licensing board and the better business bureau so this doesn't happen to someone else.