Software
Houzz Logo Print
bettina_pearl

Help me find better couch placement in small, awkward LR

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago


I hate the diagonal thing but can't figure out another option for the couch - and I'd like to replace this one with a larger one if possible (this is a loveseat). It's a non-working fireplace, but it still doesn't seem right to put the couch up against it.
Other aspects of the room aren't as much of a priority - it's all definitely a work in progress, e.g. it definitely needs a different coffee table, a rug, etc. - but feel free to offer other suggestions too.
Thanks so much!


Comments (18)

  • 9 years ago
    Can you post pictures of the other walls? The one with the tv and looking from the entrance to the kitchen towards the living room.
  • 9 years ago
    Here are more angles. Thanks so much for any feedback!
  • 9 years ago

    I think I would try like the dickens to get my TV set up on one side of the fireplace or the other, so that you can then face a couch toward both at once. All the doorways are definitely an added degree of difficulty though...

  • 9 years ago
    I'd put the sofa facing the dining room so you would walk into the back of it from the entry. Put a sofa table behind the sofa so it creates an entry area. Lounge chair would go on an angle where the sofa currently is.
  • 9 years ago
    I'd put the couch where the tv is now and put the tv over the fireplace, then move the chair where you have the couch now
  • 9 years ago
    The TV would be way too high up visually for such a small room.
  • 9 years ago
    Nothing wrong with the size of your couch....I agree with @acm
  • 9 years ago
    Or you could do like the other guy suggested and put the couch facing the dining room, put the chair where the couch is now, put another couch with its back to the dining room and facing the other couch with the coffee table in the middle and the tv above the fireplace.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Wall mount the TV where the bikes and art are now - out of the traffic path. Pull the sofa out of the corner and float it perpendicular to the window it is under now with its back to the DR. Angle the chair at the bottom of the stairs where you have the plant, and put the floor lamp with it. Get a smaller coffee table or a "C" table for your laptop. Use bike hangers under each window to suspend the bikes as decor. If your ceilings are high enough get a suspension system for them. Use a short, slim bookcase where you have the TV now, for the books in the FP, and set all the little photos on top of it. Hang your piece of art that we replaced with the TV above the mantel and move the clock (??) to the dining room. Add candles inside the FP to light up for a cozy feeling, or put the plant inside it. Lower the other art so it is 5" above the sofa back.

    Sierra Tealight Fireplace Log · More Info

    Gothic Style Fireplace Candelabra · More Info

    West Village Bachelor Pad · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    how wide is the room from fireplace wall to stair wall?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Try this..you need about 3' from edge of sofa to stair wall for traffic path..so if the room is 10' wide ..just an example.....I think you may have wider??


    You would need 3' for traffic path and could have a 7' sofa...if room is 10' wide.

  • 9 years ago
    Wow! Thank you all so much. I'm excited to have some options I hadn't considered. Will keep you posted.
  • 9 years ago

    Please update us on the changes as you make them.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Yes Bettina..would love to see any changes!!

  • 9 years ago

    Will do! I came down with something after posting and haven't had the energy to delve back into your ideas and respond to questions/suggestions. Looking forward to playing around with your tips soon. Thanks again!!

  • 9 years ago
    Here's a cute idea for your fireplace; regardless of how you arrange your furniture. If I were you I'd clear everything out and start over. I think there's a good solution using the things you have. Think out of the box, play with the big items first and then fill in with your accessories. I would angle that sofa (more so than you have it angled now and with the tall lamp behind it-if you angled it on the other side your bikes could stay right where they are). I'd angle the chair and that cute floor lamp on the other side. I think you can even keep the coffee table, centered in front of the sofa,for now. Use what you have and buy what you don't (like an area rug). Good luck!
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Have you moved any furniture or made any changes? We would love to see an update.