Software
Houzz Logo Print
jsacks67

Please help me with my kitchen backsplash!

9 years ago

Hello, I need help deciding what size tile to do my backsplash and whether it should go to the ceiling. I'm deciding between 3 x 6 subway tile and 3 x 12. My house is a 1920s house (Dutch colonial). We're trying to keep the look traditional/transitional, but not a
restoration. The tile will be installed behind a chimney style hood and under a wall cabinet.

Both tiles are white and a pretty good match to the
cabinets (painted Benjamin Moore Simply White -- a warm white). The 3 x 6 tile is a white tile called "Vintage White." It's wavy/irregular to mimic a handmade look but is otherwise plain.

The 3 x 12 is a "crackle" tile. Because of the crackle finish, it's less of a bright white than the 3 x 6 and is a better color match to the cabinets. Another advantage is that the 3x12 tiles are a little less wavy than the 3x6 tiles, so I'm thinking that the chimney style hood (which is being installed over the tile) will lay flatter against them.

But, I'm concerned that the larger 3x12 format and the crackle finish are fads and the tile will look dated in a few years. Also wondering if the larger format is too large to use over the 30" wide stove. I also don't like that we'd have to seal the crackle tile to avoid staining.

The second issue is whether we should tile up the wall and over the windows? Or, should the tile stop at the hood (See below drawing of our design.) (I like the idea of adding paint color and am a little concerned that with the severity of the polished black granite ("Silver Wave" - see photo) and all of the white the kitchen will look cold.

Here's are photos of our countertop and a drawing of our design:


This is what the "vintage tile" in 3x 6 looks like:

This is what the 3 x 12 looks like withthe crackle finish.

Here's a link to the maker of the crackle tile ("Carmen Monocroma"), which only comes in 3x12. http://www.carmenceramicart.com/94533_en/monocroma/
Please let me know your thoughts!

Comments (4)