Software
Houzz Logo Print
mrsetch

Need help with my kitchen

13 years ago
I have a 20 year old refrigerator that is dying sooner than later. I am trying to decide whether to stay with white or go with stainless. If I would go with stainless the fridge would need to be stainless on the sides too. I am also considering putting in a backsplash and painting at this time. I just need a plan to move toward as I would like to improve the appearance of the kitchen. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments (11)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    A white fridge looks cohesive, and would be easier to keep looking well.
    If your kitchen is open to other areas, look there for a new paint color. If not, the choices are wide open.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I agree, stick with the white and add some colour in the walls. I love BM revere pewter in white kitchens with yellow or orange accents
  • 13 years ago
    Personally, I love the look of all white, and your kitchen looks so clean and practical, I love it as it is, but it is your kitchen so it comes down to what you like and can live with. SS appliances do show fingerprints and marks a lot more than white and you need special cleaners for them. I think now there are ones that don't show the marks as easily, but I have a feeling they are more expensive. Maybe other posters can enlighten you on that. I really can't see the point of only going stainless on the front. Your fridge is such a big item too, it will only make it stand out more.

    Your room is very minimalist, but a backsplash could add some interest if that is your style, but remember whatever you put there you will be living with for a long time. As the kitchen is now, you can always paint the area between the cupboards as that is easy to change when you tire of a colour. Another product I really like now for a backsplash is painted glass. It comes in one panel made to measure for your space. The back is painted and you have just a plain glass "wall" to wipe clean.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would definitely get a counter-depth fridge in white to keep the color scheme together.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you for your advice. One of the refrigerators I have been looking at is the jenn air floating glass/ french door/counter depth in white. I was also considering the painted glass backsplash, but haven't checked into it yet. Maybe it would be too much gloss if I end up with the floating glass front on the fridge.
  • 13 years ago
    I haven't noticed the painted glass being that glossy. The fridge sounds really nice and you don't really seem to have any backsplash near it. Unless you have really strong light in the kitchen, (is there only that one window?) I think the gloss would be good to lighten the room.
  • 13 years ago
    definitely a counter depth white fridge would be my choice after I went with all stainless when remodeling from white appliances. would not do it again!
  • 13 years ago
    My kitchen is being done this week and I have chosen a glass splash back. Will post images so you can see it if you like.
  • 13 years ago
    That would be great to see your glass back splash. My kitchen does have a lot of southern exposure and windows in the adjacent alcove.
  • 13 years ago
    Oh, drool, I would die for an alcove like that, I love them. I would probably want to sit there all day and get nothing else done :) If you really like the fridge, maybe get that first and it might give you an idea of how the light affects the glass on it. To me, if it did have impact, it would only make the kitchen look more sparkling and clean, and that is not a bad thing in a kitchen.