Software
Houzz Logo Print
archie_r

Get rid of fireplace to enlarge view?

9 years ago


I have an amazing view and a pretty nice gas fireplace. Would you get rid of the fireplace and/or bookshelves to make the view bigger?
The best part of the view is through the corner of the room visible in the photo.
What do you guys think?

Comments (21)

  • 9 years ago

    Pretty room! Do you use the fireplace? Is this the only fireplace in the house?

    Archie R thanked Lindsay K
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    we're just about to move in actually :) it's all staged to look great in photos, can't take credit for the setup. i think we'll use it the fireplace once in a while. there's another one on the lower level but we'd never use it.

  • 9 years ago

    gorgeous! I would plan a conversation seating arrangement at the spot where the view is the best. Leave the fireplace and enjoy!

    Archie R thanked User
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I think it looks great already - no reason to throw money at taking out the fireplace.

    Archie R thanked 123 Remodeling Inc.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Not sure. I would probably live in the home through all seasons to determine if I would use fireplace or not. Very lovely room. You could remove existing fireplace and add something a bit different.


    GRIFFIN ENRIGHT ARCHITECTS: Rustic Canyon Residence · More Info

    Archie R thanked HMH Development Inc
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    If you'll use it once in awhile, I would definitely keep it! I think you'll still enjoy this room and the views that are already there, and the fireplace and bookcase kind of ground the space.

    Archie R thanked Lindsay K
  • 9 years ago


    wow so many great responses. the view behind the fireplace is an unobstructed SF bay view, but the midpoint of the view is slightly north of the golden gate bridge.

  • 9 years ago
    I love this space and think that you have to weight your options. If you think the view is more important, can you remove the wall to the right of the fireplace? Can you redo the fireplace surround, cut down on the size and open the walls more. I had a similar issue, fireplace over view and took the view, moved the fireplace in a location that did not hinder the view.
    Archie R thanked Jeannette Sirois
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Without the fireplace, the room would lose it's definition. When the sun goes down the room would have no focus if all the walls are glass as stated above. You probably will find yourself standing at the glass to enjoy the views anyway so you don't need to add more since form the corner your view is unobstructed.

    Archie R thanked New Century Design Inc.
  • 9 years ago

    Absolutely not. Do not put your furniture on the wall as in the staging and you should have more of a view. That sofa in the staged space, should really be facing the fireplace.

    Archie R thanked shirlpp
  • 9 years ago

    It looks like you have a deck that enables you to enjoy the view from the outside, no?

    If this is a condo, you may not be able to add windows.

    We have a similar situation, but we're in Boston and I would not trade my fireplace for more view, even if our condo would allow us to do it. But, it gets cold in Boston.

    Archie R thanked Jennifer Dube
  • 9 years ago
    Keep it! Great selling feature as is and you still have amazing views. Save your money and increase appeal at the same time. Win-win!
    Archie R thanked User
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Where do you live? On chilly Cape Cod, I would never give up a fireplace.

    Archie R thanked JudyG Designs
  • 9 years ago

    Awesome space. I would keep the fireplace. It looks great and really does ground the space and give you some privacy.

    Archie R thanked greenandblue2
  • 9 years ago

    (this is in the San Francisco area)

  • 9 years ago

    It is just beautiful. I would keep fireplace. If you want more of a view and it's feasible i would move fireplace to right or leave fireplace and take out shelves. Your furniture turned to face fireplace and view would be a must for me!! Enjoy your lovely home!

    Archie R thanked Dale Hadley
  • 9 years ago

    If you get the Golden Gate Bridge only if you remove the fireplace, then yes, I'd consider removing the current fireplace, after living there a year. A low-profile fireplace, perhaps suspended, could go in another part of the room.


    Big Timber Riverside · More Info

    Archie R thanked apple_pie_order
  • 9 years ago

    I would definitely live there for at least 6 months before I go tearing up a beautiful home, Congratulations!!!

    Archie R thanked Jennifer Havin
  • 9 years ago

    I wish I could reply to everyone individually, I'd never used houzz before but the community here is wonderful. Thanks!.

  • 9 years ago

    If you like to live in a fish tank yes