Software
Houzz Logo Print
cbrass86

Finish PreFab Garage vs Building Larger Home

9 years ago

We recently bought a piece of land that we plan to build our dream home - in about 3 years. I always try to think outside the box and get the most for my money. While garage research, I found a reputable local place that sells pre-fab garages for roughly $17 per square foot. So I could have a 40x24' one story delivered for $16,000 or a two story of the same size for $31,000. That got my thinking... what if I order one of each, and then insulate/electric/drywall/hvac/plumb/etc them myself. I build a small home, and put one of these garages on each side - and attach with a breezeway or something. You're looking at 2,880 square feet on those garages for under $50,000 (plus my cost in time and materials to finish them). Am I nuts? Is the structure of a garage different them if I would stick build an addition? Again, just trying to think outside the box... Thank-You for any/all thoughts!

Comments (6)