Software
Houzz Logo Print
amtayrien

Need help with powder room paint color

13 years ago
I can't decide what color to paint our half bath. A lot of the rest of our house (including the hallway directly outside the bathroom) is Benjamin Moore's Revere Pewter, which I love, but I'd like to do something different for this room. "Different" doesn't have to mean bold or bright, but it could. The room is small and fairly dark, and the wood-framed mirror and Ansel Adams print are staying. The color on the walls right now is the tinted primer that I used for the Revere Pewter walls in the rest of the house. Thanks for your help!

Comments (28)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Can you tell us what is going on flooring wise, it's hard to tell from the photos. Is it black or brown?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    A powder room is a great place to really make a statement. I would use a glitzy or dark and moody wall paper. You could make it look like a little jewel box. It should be a room that wows your guests. Crystal and reflective things are always good too.
  • 13 years ago
    Floors are brown walnut. Here are photos. Baseboard isn't done yet, obviously, but will be plain 1x6 painted white.
  • 13 years ago
    You may want to look at what is being called "greige". It's a combination of gray and beige. Pretty amazing, and works as both a warm and a cool tone. Try Sherwin Williams "Accessible Beige" (7036). The name doesn't do it justice, nor does viewing it on a computer. I've used this in both of my bathrooms, including one that is attached to my gray bedroom.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    No offense orangecamera, but "greige" is a boring color for a small room that should make a statement. It is also over used and already trending out of style. I do understand people using it for large rooms when they want to put it up for sale. It is a color that doesn't offend anyone and keeps everything neutral enough for mass appeal.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    No problem, Interiors International. It's fine with me if you want to be wrong. (insert "wink" here) No, seriously, I chose the color because I like it, not because it is - or was - trendy.
  • 13 years ago
    orangecamera, the Revere Pewter in the rest of my house is a greige leaning toward gray, and I do love it, I'm just looking for a little something different here.

    Interiors International, I like the idea of sheen/glitzy but not sure I want to do wallpaper. I live in a tiny town and would have to drive a ways to even wallpaper-browse. Paint we have right in town! I had considered Kendall Charcoal, which would fit with your idea of dark & moody, but I'm worried it would be too dark. What do you think?

    Side note: the walls have a fairly heavy texture.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here are a few ideas .....
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    BM paint has a opalescent paint that comes in a bunch of colors. I have used a gold one and the blue one on heavy textured walls and it looks great. Here are pics of them.
  • 13 years ago
    I wanted to suggest wallpaper like these, but then read that you'd rather paint. I like your choice of paint. Yep, the Kendall Charcoal will be dark, but wow, will it be lovely.

    Imperial Trellis, Onyx Gloss · More Info

    Ink Wallpaper · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Enough beige/grey, you need some color. How about BM Palladian Blue HC-144?
  • 13 years ago
    What about a seaglass color. Something like BM Palladian Blue or Wythe Blue. Or SW Tidewater, Rainwashed, or Quicksilver.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    @orangecamera, sorry I just have heard that word so many times on this site. It is starting to make me crazy lol. It is a good color and your correct people should use what they like in their homes not what is trendy. I think I'm grumpy today ;-(
  • 13 years ago
    I'd go with a gorgeous deep jewel tone, either blue, red or green as you prefer with silver accessories. A half bath doesn't really need to be terribly light in color, but can be a little jewel to add to the rest of your beautiful home.
  • 13 years ago
    Wallpaper; there are beautiful geographic papers out there that will bring your powder room to new heights, go with bold patterns. I know wallpaper can be expensive, just do one wall, and paint the other walls by pulling out your favorite colour from your choose of wall paper. Paint your ceiling Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter, that way you are pulling your colour scheme in from the rest of the house. When you install your baseboards/ceiling moldings, paint them Benjamin White Dove. Add a beautiful chandelier with a ceiling medallion ‘’centered in the room.’’ Pull your accessories colours from your Ansel Adams print/frame. There are many more wallpaper designs on HOUZZ use your search bar; type in, “wallpaper powder rooms,” check them out! GOOD LUCK!!!!

    [houzz= https://www.houzz.com/photos/2012-spring-parade-home-traditional-powder-room-minneapolis-phvw-vp~1407321][houzz=][houzz=
    Powder room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Navy and White Powder Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Powder Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Lindy Donnelly · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    @orangecamera, OMG! you just made my day. I have perma smile going on here now LOL! Love that!
  • 13 years ago
    Me, too, @orangecamera and thanks for liking my comment.
  • 13 years ago
    My absolute favorite color for a small bathroom is Tiffany Box Blue. Just get a box or pull one up on-line and your Home Depot can mix a beautiful match. Brown and white are great accents for this color.
  • 13 years ago
    That opalescent paint is so cool...very interesting and unique...Hmm...where could I use that? I may have to repaint my newly painted bathroom now!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I'd do a great modern wall covering in the room. Something that will give a bland room architecture. http://www.phillipjeffries.com/products/4613--limited_stockwoven_leather.html
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Try this color Mouses Back by Farrow and Ball and foir the trim Ben Moore White Dove, simple and awesome!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    There is paint that has some specks of other colors in it. I can't recall right now what it was. But paint your walls red, then paint the ceiling gold with a metal paint color. BM has a "gold metallic GOLD-10", also has a "copper metallic COPPER-40) and other perlescent paint colors, for instance "persuasion PT-150", with that you could paint the ceiling silver "liquid silver PT-100"). Then put a nice large white crown moulding around the ceiling and a large on on the floor. Very fun!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I have also used cork wallpaper in a powder room and painted the ceiling red.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I especially like the idea of Wythe Blue or a "Tiffany box" blue. I did pick up a sample today of Benjamin Moore's Covington Blue, which I think looks great, although quite bright. (It's the sample on the right - the one on the left is Buxton Blue, which I'm not so fond of. The paint chip card is the one with Wythe Blue and Palladian Blue.)

    Another idea I'm now considering, as a result of the wallpaper suggestions, is to get a stencil and paint the same color but a different sheen, at least on one of the walls (inspiration shown below). If I pursue that, would it look better for the base to be flat, with a glossier finish over, or vice versa? And should I do all the walls, or just the one behind the sink and toilet? If just the one, should the other walls be flat or glossy?

    [houzz=
    Moroccan Stencils · More Info
    ]
  • 13 years ago
    I was going to suggest the stencil in different sheen idea, until I read that your wall is heavily textured. I'm not quite sure how a stencil will look on a textured wall. That being said, I like the way your inspiration photo looks. All depends on what your stencil looks like, whether you're stenciling in the lines or the background. I like it with the shinier background and darker lines. I think if you go for a shiny look, you should consider changing (painting?) the frames on your mirror and poster.
  • 13 years ago
    I like the Covington Blue colour (the one on the right) and if you're going to do a shiny stencil effect, I would do it the other way around than in your example photo. So the outline in gloss. More subtle I think. Would do it all around, not just one wall. But I still prefer the charcoal colour, because it will be more dramatic and the perfect background for your print.
  • 13 years ago
    Like Helga Simmons idea. Use one of the specialty paints with the sparkles or texture. I used a red Ralph Lauren paint that has a rough texture and gold glitter (subtle glitter). When I had a get together at my house it was such a hit two of the guests did rooms in their homes with the same finish. A red would look pretty with the gray or maybe a burnt orange.