Software
Houzz Logo Print
taymorgry

My new stairs

13 years ago
I recently moved back into my condo after renting it out for a year. The renters destroyed the carpet with cats, and living in Alaska, I wanted to go with a Swedish Country feel anyway to make it feel sunnier in our dark winters. I ripped the carpeting off the stairs while putting very light wood laminate throughout the house. I was stuck at the stairs, though. My parents live with me. So do my small children, so slipping was a concern. No one wanted anything but carpet but I was determined to keep with my lighter decor. I decided to paint the stairs white and stencil designs on the risers. I did this with sponges to keep it rustic and imperfect-looking. Then, to prevent slipping accidents, I used a non-skid agent I added to the final coat of polyurethane. I'm so happy with the results. I smile every time I go up the stairs!

Comments (27)

  • 13 years ago
    Love it--absolutely charming!
  • 13 years ago
    Love!!
  • 13 years ago
    made me smile tooo it s so cute lol
  • 13 years ago
    :)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Fun!
  • 13 years ago
    Nice job...Hearing it described I'd have said "Nah..."Seeing it I say "Yep...Nice!"
  • 13 years ago
    Love!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    wow...very cool!
  • 13 years ago
    It is so pretty, that I would make everyone take off their shoes so it won't get scuffed up. What did you use to protect the paint, since polyurethane might be too slippery?
  • 13 years ago
    Ok, just read your post... And saw what you used to seal it. Very smart!!!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Great creative solution that fits your lifestyle! Kudos...
  • 13 years ago
    I thought it was tile, what a great idea!
  • 13 years ago
    tay, congrats! No carpet! :)
  • 13 years ago
    Awesome job! Love it!
  • 13 years ago
    Oh wow! Lovely stairs. It made me smile too, so I can understand why this makes you happy every time you see it. Well done!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    ohh,very nice!!;-) will need to "steal" this photo for my ideabook!!
  • 13 years ago
    I have wanted to pull up my carpet on my stairs as well but didn't know what to do with the ugly boards underneath...I don't have the budget to put down hardwood but this is an absolutely great idea...thanks for sharing!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Smiling too! Very creative!
  • 13 years ago
    Is it just me? I'm actually loving the BEFORE picture!
  • 13 years ago
    So charming!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    This is so cute and fresh and charming..congrats ! love it !
  • 13 years ago
    Bright, airy and charming! Great job!
  • 13 years ago
    Admire your imagination and your desire to stick with your idea a 'do it' ...... Made me smile too
  • 13 years ago
    Well done!! You're right. I was smiling too!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    So fun!
  • 13 years ago
    Did you put clear coat over it to protect from wear?