Software
Houzz Logo Print
ssegar007

1950 brick ranch needs help!!!

9 years ago


Hi everyone. I've scoured the internet looking for ways to update/brighten this tired ranch. This picture is taken in the winter and it looks especially sad! I need suggestions for trim, garage, landscaping....anything to give it some character. Please help!

Comments (18)

  • 9 years ago

    Did you just buy this home? Looks like the backdrop would be beautiful in the summer. I would certainly embrace the MCM mid century modern style for this house.

    You have to work with the roof color if it's remaining. The first photo below, trim is Sherwin Williams Crisp Linen 6378. I'd consider doing your garage the same as the trim. One of the coordinating colors is SW Marea Baja 9185 which would be nice on your front door. A new MCM style front door would be a good thing. It could be slab or have some glass, see the 2nd photo for the style and the style and size of the house numbers, again MCM style. Is the trim on your window frames paintable?

    The questions on the photo reveal that the lights are made by Progress Lighting, Lowes has a 15 inch. They would be great on either side of your garage door, maybe a third between your front door and LR window. Here is the link for the lights. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Progress-Lighting-Globe-15-in-H-Black-Outdoor-Wall-Light/50098002

    Shutters should look like they could actually close and cover the glass of the windows. You may not want to hear it, but the shutters should come off.

    For winter interest, add some evergreen shrubs. What planting zone are you in?

    Modern Detached Garage · More Info

    Barton Parkway · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you! I'm in southwest mi...not sure the planting zone honestly. It is much prettier in the summer. You can't see in the photo but the yard is very large with lots of trees. I also have dune grass in front of the house as I'm near lake mi. I live in a very traditional neighborhood with conservative homes and I'm not sure MCM style would work ......

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    MCM can fit in very well in a conservative neighborhood and certainly does not need to be anything like the pics above but no shutters and a MCM door would go a long way to up the curb appeal also so evergreen plantings to help with the winter blahs and I always try to hide the garbage cans. I suggest you google MCM brick ranch exteriors to get some great ideas

  • 9 years ago

    Protect your trees, only hire a certified experienced arborist if you need them pruned or limbs removed to elevate the canopy etc. Many a tree has been ruined by bad practices.

    The very best neighbourhoods usually have a variety of styles that make each home look their best. Give it some consideration. Globe lights are bright looking in the daytime and look very nice at night. They just make me smile whenever I see them. MCM can be subtle if you want it to be. Try entering MCM exterior in the Houzz photo searchbar.

    Are the grills in your windows removable?

  • 9 years ago

    Ok I'll check out some Picts! No the grills are between the glass.

  • 9 years ago

    Paint the brick and replace the roof with a different color shingle.

    In the house above they've added a small covered area over the front door. Huge difference.


  • 9 years ago

    The house is a classic style, it just needs contrasting trim paint.

    Can you add two photos: one showing about a foot of the brick and one showing the stone on the chimney? One of the chimney stones' colors would make a good accent color for the shutters. The window trim and door could be a pale cream, shutters and door in an accent color, and the garage painted to match the overall brick color.

    The Michigan sign shows the kind of dark/light/bright color contrast that would look good here.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Whether your perspective is that of subtly textured hues and includes corbel fireplaces, rustic old world arches, antique barn doors, the theme comes to life with your fantasies and your experience. Warm and cozy the ideal picture of your own lodge paradise, the family vacation home away from the bustling city and fast paced life.

    Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9595656

  • 9 years ago

    Don't paint brick, but do remove shutters and pick new paint for garage door and trim -- here's what I'd aim for:

  • 9 years ago

    Very cool! Did you use an app to do that?

  • 9 years ago

    acm has the right idea. Consult a local plant nursery for evergreen shrubs with bright red berries that last all winter...something low-growing for the perimeter of the foundation. Have a concrete pad poured on the side of your garage for the trash cans. A simple wooden gate to hide them from the street. Refresh the blacktop. GO BLUE! (Don't tell my husband...he's from Ohio.)

    ssegar007 thanked chiflipper
  • 9 years ago
    Remove the shutters, and paint the windows and front door white. Put significant lights on either side of the front door. Pail the garage door the same colour as the brick - so that the horizontal remains strong.
    ssegar007 thanked jbtanyderi
  • 9 years ago
    Better Homes and Gardens website has tons of prepared planting plans with dimensions for many situations and locations. Great resource.
    ssegar007 thanked klsst92
  • 9 years ago

    I agree with others in that you should remove the shutters and paint the trim and garage door. I prefer darker trim on your home but if you prefer white, choose an off-white or soft white (not stark white).

    ssegar007 thanked er612
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Landscape is the key. Hire a good landscape architect. A smaller scale tree (Dogwood, Japanese Maple?) or two in the front yard, or perhaps a wall/fence to create an entry courtyard, would provide some visual relief from the essentially flat facade. The existing house is understated, and there is nothing wrong with that...just a little bland. Suggestions for a new color scheme are a good idea, and I agree with removal of the fake shutters.

    ssegar007 thanked sticklab
  • 9 years ago

    I went the opposite direction and painted your trim in an off white, your door in a rust color and your garage door in a color to match your brick. Sorry I couldn't paint the whole thing-Sherwin Williams site wouldn't let me zoom out any further but at least it gives you an idea. Some year round color in your landscaping should help as well.

    ssegar007 thanked katinparadise
  • 9 years ago

    (Photoshop for me. just patience)

Sponsored
The Steele Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio