Software
Houzz Logo Print
becky_foley80

Pocket door vs. barn door vs. opening the 'wrong' way - bathroom

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

For some reason I have a thing against pocket doors. We need to pick a door for an entry into our master bath addition we are building, floor plan below. We don't think a traditional door will work because you could be standing at the vanity and get hit as someone come in.

What is better - a pocket door or barn door? Or opening the door towards you instead of away?

Thanks for any help!!

Comments (22)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Better post the plan so we can take a look.

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks, the picture was giving me some trouble -posted!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    We had a similar design constraint when we added a master bath last year and went with an outward opening door. We like the barn door, but chose against due to: 1) taking up too much wall space and 2) concerned it is more of a door de jour that won't stand the test of time aesthetically. Pocket door wasn't an option for us since the wall was already installed and finished. We cut a hole and installed the bathroom door opening to the bedroom.....4 months in, very happy...that being said, just looked at the pic. 2 doors not good. Somebody could get dinged coming out of the closet by an outward opening door in the bathroom. I'd go with pocket door. No body will get hit by a door.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Pocket door, hands down for me. Swing doors take up three feet of precious space, whether they swing in or out.

    Barn door is fun, but does the rest of your home decor support that look?

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I had the same decision and my better half had to have a barn door. It takes up space from the wall it slides open to, is noisy and does not fully close off the room. My kids have found out if they look through the side they can see right in the bathroom. Obviously privacy is a thing of the past.

    I have a brand new Johnson Hardware soft open and soft close unit sitting there and I kick myself EVERY I see it for not using it. Look into their line they are of good quality and well built. They sell a regular HD line and a better quality unit through their website.

    I hate that barn door!!! LOL!!

  • 9 years ago

    Could you do something like this?

  • 9 years ago

    Or like this:

  • 9 years ago

    Like my privacy so I'd nix the barn door. Our small ensuite bath has a door that swings into the bedroom and it works well.

  • 9 years ago

    @Sammy - maybe eventually that is a good option (option 1 ). I need to keep it open for the inspection, city of Denver required that we have an egress window in our bedroom (that is why no door right now because once you insert a door, it is no longer an egress). Good thought though that maybe for now I do no door and then after inspection do the door that goes in.

  • 9 years ago

    @wannabath ha!! I only have a two year-old now with one on the way but I can see them trying to peak through that barn door, that would kill me!!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I don't see any downside to the way the bath & door are currently drawn. I like hinged doors on bathrooms that have exposed toilets.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    We vote for a barn door for that space. It looks like the toilet is already tucked back behind a while. Simply request tongue and groove boards to ensure a snug fit and oversize the width the ensure the best coverage. They can make such a great statement piece or demure when needed.


    -Kristen

    Customer Service - customslidingbarndoors.com

  • 9 years ago

    If anyone still reads this. I have barn doors. Barn doors are not private. There is always a gap where everyone in the next room can see, small and hear what is going on . NOT for use when you need privacy.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    If you are looking for sound proof, a barn door may not be a good fit. For added privacy including a bathroom door, we recommend at least 2-3" for each side on the width PLUS tongue and groove boards to reduce the 'see-thru' opportunity. Hope this helps!

  • 9 years ago
    FYI: pocket doors don't lock.....if you have toddlers who don't respect your privacy beware. (BTDT every single day!!!)
  • 9 years ago
    On the whole toddler topic, you will want a door that locks on the entire bathroom. Ours is open to the bedroom with a pocket door closing off the toilet/shower. There is no privacy at all and I go to bed quite a bit later than my husband, so brushing my teeth, etc wakes him up. I really despise the set up!
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Toddlers love to find ways around any obstacle! :) They are the greatest escape artists. Thankfully there are a few Lock systems out now that our clients have used that may help you as well (we don't sell them) ...some as simply as a hook and eye-latch that will keep the door from being just pulled straight open. There are more advanced options that can be attached to almost any barn door system that have locks and keys with a bolt. Very cool advancements in this area.

  • 6 years ago

    POCKET DOOR! Your contractor can put plywood on the sink side so you can hang towels...we had ours put plywood on both sides of our pocket door so we could hang the TP holder by toilet. Also can hang decor items as well.

  • 6 years ago

    Have we run out of current discussions? This is 2017.

  • 6 years ago

    Geez, I have to remember to look at dates, lol. Just wanted to say that I have had locking pocket doors to bathrooms. No memory now of the actual construction but the door had a little inset twist knob that obviously caught on interior casing. Somewhere...somehow....

  • 6 years ago

    oops. ha ha - never think to look at dates, just topics!